Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
Yeah this is true. it's gotten a tiny bit better but PCs are a nightmare. Even the updates themselves are so intrusive. Heck even on my hackintosh, windows runs with so many issues/random blue screens/wake from sleep. Meanwhile, macOS Mojave runs super stable.

That being said, macbooks seem to have more issues these days. the 15" lines were even more so glitchy starting with the 2008 era
increased sales + internet communication to create an amplifying voice. this is not to imply that there is not an issue. but the click-bait stories do get picked up and anything with Apple in the headline gets attention.
BTW, interesting way to escalate a standard class action hardware problem into a fraud and false marketing case. Not sure how they will win on those claims.

Last edited:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Well, this one seems like a valid problem based on what I have heard. I haven't seen the problem in person.
But obviously, if there's debris when you close the display, it's possible it could get damaged.
It does seem legit, as giving Apple 30 days to comply before seeking damages seems reasonable.
I hope Apple learns to start listening to their users' complaints more, and not blindly blame the user for a problem like this one.

Reactions: Mendota

jaster2

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I've been getting these on and off when waking up my 2019 Intel MBA. Does this signify a hardware problem? It's been resolving itself when I shut & reopen it.
I had similar issues. At one point, I couldn't get the display to clear. Several reboots didn't fix it. Zapping PRAM etc. didn't either. After leaving it shut down overnight it finally cleared. IT dept. replaced the screen shortly after and I haven't had a problem since. So I guess it was the display going funky over time. MBP 2017.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
These people are just mad they didn’t pay for the super affordable AppleCarePlus for MacBook program and then could’ve just got the whole computer replaced
I always take a look at the cost % for AppleCare (or any warranty). And $200 + $99 (screen) or +$299 (other) is a bit expensive to repair a $899 machine (.edu pricing). For hardware repairs, it is 33% of the original cost to repair the screen and over 50% for anything else. (I know cherry-picking on price).
Much better situation if the computer was upgraded and cost $1500. Then, 20% and 33%.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
You would think these people would stop buying Apple products and purchase PC's.

/sarcasm

P.S. I have a 13 year old Mac Pro on my desk. My last HP PC died one year after I purchased it.
I've never had a PC that would last me more than 3 years. I got 10 years out of my first MacBook Pro, I have a MacBook 2016 still working great, and my iMac is from 2013, and while it still runs great, I may replace it with a new one to be able to run Monterey and be able to run the latest version of Xcode on it.
I may keep using it as a second monitor/server.

frenchcamp49er

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Whats a significant amount? From most posts on this site and others it seems very few have had this issue. Just how are they going to prove they did not cause the damage. Asking 5+ million for a $ 1,000 device is simply ludicrous.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Next up: a lawsuit by people claiming their iPhone displays spontaneously cracked due to a defect or “bad design”. And yes — I’ve personally heard a lot of people make that claim seriously.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
Whats a significant amount? From most posts on this site and others it seems very few have had this issue. Just how are they going to prove they did not cause the damage. Asking 5+ million for a $ 1,000 device is simply ludicrous.
The only way the lawyers make money is when it is class-action. If the individual really wanted to pursue remediation they could go to small claims court. But . . . .

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
The article makes it sound like this is only happening to mac M1 users in America. Surely not right? Surely there are customers affected outside America?
Because the lawsuit is in America, and American laws don’t apply elsewhere. People need to sue Apple in other jurisdictions.

Last edited:

zapm

macrumors member
May 16, 2017
When did Apple advertise that the new macbook air displays are durable? How many people are buying the air because of it's durability? I've had one since they came out and have never had an issue.

cnnyy20p

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2021
Yeah, I saw a lot of people on Reddit showing their MacBook’s display went badly. I‘m so worry right now if it is going to happens with my MacBook Air.

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Yes but outside America customers are protected by laws that ensure products must be suitable for their purpose so there’s no need to organise legal action over defects.
In many there aren't and "resellers" wash their hands not honoring repair programs or even warranty.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I’ve had Macs since the early 2000s and haven’t had any issues, outside of a failing hard drive in the first Intel iMac (but replaced it myself).

Apple is selling many more Macs now than they did back then, so the number of issues may increase proportionally but the % is probably still better than the industry average.

Reactions: johnnygee

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I'm sticking with my Intel Macs.

I'm real excited about Windows 11. I think this is gonna be a game changer for Microsoft.

Loosing the ability to run bootcamp or virtualization of Windows keeps me out of owning an APPLE silicon Mac.

So The M1 may be a little faster or even with a Core i9. No big deal to me.

My machines are repairable and upgradable.
Thanks for sharing that in every news story you find here on MR ...

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
no issue with my M1 MBA, and honestly I don't recall hearing about this being an (widespread) issue here in the forums, but ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.