Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spoiledbrat

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2017
These people are just mad they didn’t pay for the super affordable AppleCarePlus for MacBook program and then could’ve just got the whole computer replaced
You are not joking right? I had this issue on a Macbook Pro 2017 and I did have AppleCarePlus but this happened after my applecare expired. The cost to replace is $680. I believe Apple is using fragile display that just cracks with normal use.

If you dont believe check this thread

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I am guessing they will show proof of ‘knowingly deceiving customers’ and ‘fraudulent practices’… right?

Reactions: WiseAJ

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
And my M1 MacBook Air has had zero issues and a delight to use since last December after ordering it on launch and using it many hours a day, every single day. And that's with not going out of my way to take care of it.

The Cappy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market
I am guessing they will show proof of ‘knowingly deceiving customers’ and ‘fraudulent practices’… right?
Agreed. Not that screen defects aren't something that needs to be addressed and rectified, but in my mind "False Marketing" would apply if Apple had called the screens "indestructible" or "perfect."

Reactions: souko

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Aren't the tests Apple does done on Pre-Production units? So if there was a "defect" (and not just poor handling by consumer) that occurred during mass-production those tests wouldn't catch it and Apple would have no knowledge of it.

I think they will have a tough time proving fraud and false marketing.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Love my M1 air outside of the bluetooth which is terrible (especially trying to airplay to homepods). Don't have the same issues on any other apple devices when trying to do the same thing which makes it seem like it may be something hardware-related with the new M1 airs.

filchermcurr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2016
I've never had a PC that would last me more than 3 years. I got 10 years out of my first MacBook Pro, I have a MacBook 2016 still working great, and my iMac is from 2013, and while it still runs great, I may replace it with a new one to be able to run Monterey and be able to run the latest version of Xcode on it.
I may keep using it as a second monitor/server.
Counter-anecdote... I bought a Thinkpad X200 Tablet in 2008. It was used for about four years and then passed down to a friend. The friend bought something else and gave it back to me. I upgraded the internal drive to an SSD and maxed out the RAM and my nieces use it to this day. It runs Windows 10 without issue. You won't be playing the latest and greatest video games on it, but it performs surprisingly well for its age. It even holds a two hour charge on the original battery! It also has a TPM in it, so Windows 11 may even allow it. That thing is going to outlive us all.

I bought a Macbook Pro in 2012 (retina, woo!) and recently gave it to my mom. It's still going strong, but not receiving the latest OS updates. Still usable though.

I made the horrible mistake of "upgrading" from the 2012 to the mid-2018 Macbook Pro. That thing had a failed keyboard a few months in and then the battery exploded a little over a year later. I traded it in for a Mac Mini after that. No sense playing the 50 repairs game. (Mac Mini is fantastic, by the way. Upgraded the RAM to 64 GB with no hassle. What a world!)

Oh, I just remembered I have the family HP laptop in my closet. Just checked and it also still works! No way it would ever run Windows 10 though. It's running Windows ME, so it has to be from 2000 or 2001 (I think?). That thing got abused horribly. The screen has a tiny cut that bled and scabbed over, the keys are sticky, there's a chunk missing from the case around the fan, the power cable has to be inserted just right to work (funny that I still remember exactly how to do it), but it still works.

If we're counting non-laptops... the "family IBM PC clone" from 1989 still runs great! I played Gold Rush with my nieces on it a couple weeks ago, actually, after boring them with a discussion about the history of Sierra. They were, for some reason, not impressed. But the game still holds up! (The hard drive, however, did make several noises of protest. It's definitely not long for this world.)

I've assembled several computers over the years for myself and others and they all work fine, running the latest version of Windows 10. Even the computer my fake grandma bought us in 2005 still powers on and computes (I'm a hoarder, yes) but it doesn't run Windows 10 very well. (Or that was the case when I passed the X200 on. I assume it's still true, though.)

Point being, the only computer I've ever had fail in any way was that awful mid-2018 Macbook Pro. I don't think it speaks one way or another on the quality of the ecosystem in general. More luck of the draw and, on the PC side, choosing decent components or manufacturers.

... wow, this was a long and exceptionally boring and vaguely off-topic post. Congratulations to anybody who got here!

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Just use PCs for one month and you will kneel before Apple. I’m an IT and works with hundreds of PCs.. they are totally crap, realibility is a joke other than quality and screen specs. MacBooks have the best screen I’ve ever used and I also work in Apple support as freelance: no issue with M1, everybody is so happy with these machines that is incredible.
I disagree. I use a SP7 and a desktop AMD machine. Way better than my M1 MBA I am selling on Swappa.

Edited to add: I have been in IT for over 20 years now...I know hyperbole when I see it. Best part? I don't get spyware installed by the manufacturer. :)

porkrind

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Not REAL Windows. It's the ARM version.
While true, I don't see what difference it makes. Parallels running windows on my M1 MBA is a great experience. Runs all the software I had before and I finally installed Steam and find that works well too considering the MBA is not built to be a gaming rig.

Reactions: noraa

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
As someone who spent many years defending class action lawsuits, this one sounds borderline frivolous. Apple does many things wrong, but there is no law obviously violated by providing a "premium" product that nevertheless is not a perfect product.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I've seen first hand how students handle macbooks and how employees handle macbooks and i can tell you they do not handle them properly or look after them properly. They are not 'ruggedized' machines meaning they can take a hard knock or rough handling but this does not seem to care with the students or employees and yes, when their machine breaks they act like they are pure angels and never did anything wrong to the machine, it was handled extremely carefully...BS. I bet those bringing the class action lawsuit mishandled their M1 machine but are playing angels in that they did not do anything and thus it's all Apples fault.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
But what if this is a genuine defect plaguing some users - how do they get the support and repair they need if Apple (and the public) assume it's the users fault automatically? These laptops are thin and the glass rests/closes directly onto the metal base with no gap or lid edge to protect the screen.

Think of all the issues Apple products have had over the years - only through pressure from groups and the press has Apple then started a repair program. Look at the Airpod Pros for a recent example, and even then they dont appear to have fixed the issue on newer units. They just keep selling and replacing a product that likely has a design flaw.

All that said I can image alot of users slapping the lid closed which could be an issue.

Last edited:

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Just use PCs for one month and you will kneel before Apple. I’m an IT and works with hundreds of PCs.. they are totally crap, realibility is a joke other than quality and screen specs. MacBooks have the best screen I’ve ever used and I also work in Apple support as freelance: no issue with M1, everybody is so happy with these machines that is incredible.
What exactly are your clients doing to them? I believe that PCs have inferior build quality, but I've been able to use Windows machines for typically 7 years before needing to upgrade. My last Windows machine lasted me 8 years.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I always take a look at the cost % for AppleCare (or any warranty). And $200 + $99 (screen) or +$299 (other) is a bit expensive to repair a $899 machine (.edu pricing). For hardware repairs, it is 33% of the original cost to repair the screen and over 50% for anything else. (I know cherry-picking on price).
Much better situation if the computer was upgraded and cost $1500. Then, 20% and 33%.
I do something similar, but I use time. How long would the product need to work for before I might consider replacing it even if it were still working fine. It was one of the reasons I justified getting an iPhone mini as I figured I could get a 13 pro if I didn’t like it. Turns out I loved it, but if the 12 mini dies I’ve already got the life I wanted from it. If I needed two years I’d have been more compelled to get Apple Care.

wirefire

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2015
Well, this one seems like a valid problem based on what I have heard. I haven't seen the problem in person.
But obviously, if there's debris when you close the display, it's possible it could get damaged.
It does seem legit, as giving Apple 30 days to comply before seeking damages seems reasonable.
I hope Apple learns to start listening to their users' complaints more, and not blindly blame the user for a problem like this one.

Ahh "debris" in between the display and the keyboard / main body area. The problem is there is always debris, there is debris in the air we breath, there is particulate everywhere. So what exactly constitutes an acceptable amount of debris. No one would accept a human hair in between the screen and the body cracking the display... That would be crazy and happen all too frequently. yet we all know that leaving a pencil in there and closing the display is pretty much assuring death for this display. The problem is that middle ground... If apple makes the tolerances for their display too small in the quest to be "THIN" then normal airborne debris can become a problem. The display is covered in glass too... something quite a few laptop makers do not do and prefer a matte finish. They all contribute... personally I am not a huge fan of the laminate display but I can't argue with the appearance. I am thinking of people that live near mining, coastlines and other areas where larger particles in the air are a distinct possibility. one grain of sand happens to work its way in there and CRACK. question is, is that really a manufacturing problem? or something totally different. I am sure that apple tests these products in clean environments.... which may taint their testing.

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
From what I can gather, this lawsuit was FILED but not Certified as a Class Action. Some of the points are humorous, point 39 in the suit speaks to "LCD Screen Inflexibility". Since when did Apple market the screen as flexible.

Many other points effectively use "people on the Internet say there are issues" as proof.

a_r_husain

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2021
Not much different to the apple Fusion drive (SSD:HDD) that kept breaking. We had two iMacs in the family. Both failed a month apart from one another. Repaired under warranty the first time but appreciably as the applecare ran out, they failed almost to the week again because the replacements had the same in-built design / hardware fault.

I pay premium because apple used to have the reputation to be built like the pyramids

Reactions: readyaimfire

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Counter-anecdote... I bought a Thinkpad X200 Tablet in 2008. It was used for about four years and then passed down to a friend. The friend bought something else and gave it back to me. I upgraded the internal drive to an SSD and maxed out the RAM and my nieces use it to this day. It runs Windows 10 without issue. You won't be playing the latest and greatest video games on it, but it performs surprisingly well for its age. It even holds a two hour charge on the original battery! It also has a TPM in it, so Windows 11 may even allow it. That thing is going to outlive us all.

I bought a Macbook Pro in 2012 (retina, woo!) and recently gave it to my mom. It's still going strong, but not receiving the latest OS updates. Still usable though.

I made the horrible mistake of "upgrading" from the 2012 to the mid-2018 Macbook Pro. That thing had a failed keyboard a few months in and then the battery exploded a little over a year later. I traded it in for a Mac Mini after that. No sense playing the 50 repairs game. (Mac Mini is fantastic, by the way. Upgraded the RAM to 64 GB with no hassle. What a world!)

Oh, I just remembered I have the family HP laptop in my closet. Just checked and it also still works! No way it would ever run Windows 10 though. It's running Windows ME, so it has to be from 2000 or 2001 (I think?). That thing got abused horribly. The screen has a tiny cut that bled and scabbed over, the keys are sticky, there's a chunk missing from the case around the fan, the power cable has to be inserted just right to work (funny that I still remember exactly how to do it), but it still works.

If we're counting non-laptops... the "family IBM PC clone" from 1989 still runs great! I played Gold Rush with my nieces on it a couple weeks ago, actually, after boring them with a discussion about the history of Sierra. They were, for some reason, not impressed. But the game still holds up! (The hard drive, however, did make several noises of protest. It's definitely not long for this world.)

I've assembled several computers over the years for myself and others and they all work fine, running the latest version of Windows 10. Even the computer my fake grandma bought us in 2005 still powers on and computes (I'm a hoarder, yes) but it doesn't run Windows 10 very well. (Or that was the case when I passed the X200 on. I assume it's still true, though.)

Point being, the only computer I've ever had fail in any way was that awful mid-2018 Macbook Pro. I don't think it speaks one way or another on the quality of the ecosystem in general. More luck of the draw and, on the PC side, choosing decent components or manufacturers.

... wow, this was a long and exceptionally boring and vaguely off-topic post. Congratulations to anybody who got here!
I read it all! ??
Very interesting… specially the part about the fake grandma… ?

Reactions: bgillander
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.