Apple Addresses 2018 iPad Pro 'Bending' Controversy, Says Subtle Deviations May Be More Visible Due to New Design

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Such a long post and still no facts to base the ridiculous statement of “Apple is putting out flawed products.”

iPad just put up double digit y/y growth. Mac set a record as well.

Apple likely sold 12M iPads during this quarter. A few pictures of bent iPads doesn’t make a “flawed product.”

You don’t have data to support that and there isn’t a mountain of evidence to say it’s flawed which there would be if it were.

2. curtvaughan, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019

curtvaughan macrumors 6502a

curtvaughan

I am not talking about stock investor profits. I'm talking about the product as a consumer. And yes, you can say that profits justify the company and its products, but I say, and I think it is in concord with Mr Jobs here, the product ultimately justifies the company and its profits. History repeats, and it is being repeated again 25 years later than this video - but now it's not IBM or Xerox or Pepsico under the gun, it's Apple. Just a rumor ...

3. LondonFella macrumors newbie

LondonFella

My 10.5” developed the bright spot issue (above the Home Button.)

It was replaced, and the replacement unit was making a clicking noise when picked up.

Under UK’s Consumer Law, I got my full money back. This was after about 14 months.

I now have an 11”, and it’s perfect. No bends, dead pixels, light bleed or anything. I’m not bothering with AppleCare anymore, now that I’m aware of Consumer Law in the UK. I never take my iPad out of the home, so there’s next to no chance of it being accidentally damaged. If it develops a bend (which it absolutely should not, for such a premium device) I’ll take it and get it replaced. Forget about Apple’s one year warranty, I’ll go down the Consumer Law route. If the replacement develops a fault, I’ll simply get my money back.

I’ve got two years under UK’s Consumer Law, so I’m not worried at all.

One thing is for sure: This is an issue, and as Per the Apple of today, they are trying to bend the facts (pun intended) to make it seem like we’re nuts, and they are completely right.

4. jlseattle macrumors 6502

jlseattle

I returned the 12" iPad I bought. I'm going to wait until the next generation.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2019 ---
    We need this in US. We're at the whim of crappy manufactures here.

5. curtvaughan macrumors 6502a

curtvaughan

Well, as per a previous post I made about bicycle frames and their construction, it makes sense that your 11 inch device is relatively strong, as compared to the 13 inch models of the bending issue. Both devices are made of aluminum - I don't know what quality (there are several varieties) - so all things being equal, the smaller device will have less bending problems. That doesn't get down to the real issue, which is can whatever material they make the phone/ipad/laptop computers of support the uses to which they are purported to be used. Can you move your phone, tablet, laptop around without incurring damage in everyday use? With the latest iPad, the answer seems to be "maybe". I have the last generation iPad. I take good care of my devices - phones, tablets, laptops, desktops. I'm old enough to give my devices the care they need under normal use. My last generation iPad meets my expectations. The latest one would apparently not, and I wouldn't make a thousand dollar crap shoot to test it out, given the publicity of late. Neither would I buy any Apple laptops, for the same reasons. I'm typing this on my year old iMac. The jury's still out on it, but so far it's doing a great job. I want it to last at least another two years without overheating, etc. That's all. I paid $2500 for it, and I deserve at least that amount of time. A thousand dollar device bending or already bent out of the box is unacceptable. Yes, Apple still makes profits - but not off of me for much longer.

6. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Wow, no one has ever seen that tired video before...

The profits Apple made then and the scale of the company aren’t not even comparable. Investors need a return...every company is trying to maximize profits.

We can talk about making good products, but I don’t think Apple is shipping junk at the moment.

7. curtvaughan macrumors 6502a

curtvaughan

Wow, so Steve Jobs has become a tired issue. Sorry, but tired or not, his message is to the point. That, apparently, is the new Apple position - Steve Jobs is a tired, old hat, has been. Cool. HNY. Just an old customer - there are more of us than you might suspect. Watch out.

8. brentsg macrumors 68040

My comments were intended to address the tolerance issues, not long term durability. That's yet to be determined with the iPad, contrary to some of the discussion.

And my experience with car manufacturers is that taking back 10's of thousands of cars to fix problems generally requires class action suits or pressure from government safety regulators.

I'm dealing with Acura on an issue involving defective Bluetooth modules draining the battery and eventually killing the battery/alternator. After replacing both and being quoted nearly $1000 to replace the hands-free link module with the SAME defective part that will eventually fail again.... I now have learned that this has been going on for YEARS and there's an active class action suit.

My BMW had an issue with tail lights shorting out. When I faced the issue it was the same situation... pay a ton of money to replace with the exact same defective parts that I already had. It wasn't until YEARS later that they were forced into a recall. Auto manufacturers rarely do anything on a large scale unless they are forced.

9. AFDoc macrumors 68030

The iphone 4 guy needs to make another song..... If you don't want an iPad pro (don't buy it) If you bought one and you don't like it (take it back)..........

10. Baymowe335, Jan 6, 2019

Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Where is your data? FY2018 speaks for itself.

You’re just a permabear calling for the end every year until you’re right. When the facts change, I’ll change, but you have nothing to base your position upon other than anecdotal data that is meaningless...or you are blind to the innovation and sit there saying “Where is the next iPhone?”

Btw, Jobs PICKED Cook to take over. Tim Cook was always a genius at Apple. Jobs understood his value from the beginning. Jobs had his weaknesses too. There is no perfect CEO. If it weren’t for a Cook, Apple would have continued to flounder. His operational expertise is literally the best in the world.

The active installed base in now 1.4B up from 1.3B last year. So the data even says you’re wrong. More customers than EVER and Apple has the highest customer satisfaction in the industry.

What number makes you think Apple’s “profit seeking” has hurt them? You just want another iPhone product? Silly ask. Look at Watch, AirPods, the current iPhones and iPads, look at FaceID, look at ApplePay, look at the mobile silicon. There is innovation all over the place.

11. Tech198 macrumors G5

Well,, can't have it always...We want better products, but we also don't want it to bend..

That's a tough call. I guess Apple could maybe do both.. (if they had more time)

12. Brandon916 macrumors newbie

Comparing a Car vs a Phone is crazy. How many iPhone have you purchase that has a bend that visible? I would guess zero. Man, some fans like yourself literally gag on apple d*.

13. trifid, Jan 6, 2019

trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

That song was so funny haha

Speaking of Antennagate, while Steve was great at reality distortion field, but he sometimes gave us blunt honesty and sometimes admitted fault, see screenshot below regarding Antennagate:

[​IMG]

Compare that to Riccio's statement that iPad 2018 ‘meets or exceeds’ quality and flatness standards.

14. k0bayashi macrumors member

Agreed.

15. tripmusic macrumors 6502

tripmusic

These excuses are pretty ridiculous. Bottom line: No one is going to accept a defect like this as just normal to the manufacturing process, especially for the absurd amount of money paid for the device. I've been an Apple user for as long as I can remember, but some of their recent business practices and stances leave me wondering about the future with them.

16. chatin macrumors 6502a

chatin

Unless this whole bent iPad story is made up by a few users who sat on their new iPads. Taking another look I'm sure some of these don't come from the factory like that.

17. Abazigal, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2019

Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

I have the 11” cellular iPad Pro model. No issues with mine. Perfectly straight, and I use it daily for work and leisure.

Will keep everyone appraised of the situation.

Anyone need photos as proof? I can get round to posting some later tonight.

As always, context matters. Here’s an article I found that puts Tim Cook’s contributions in the proper light.

https://techpinions.com/apples-road-to-a-trillion-dollar-company/53395

Different people are needed at different points in a company history. Jobs was right for his era, but he would have been a disaster for the Cook era.

Cook is amazing, and has been responsible for most of the achievements of Apple, but not the initial innovation and concept that Jobs provided. Cook has refined the culture and expanded it, and has done as fine a job as any CEO in American history, if not world business history.

He's Eisenhower, not Churchill.

18. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

Yes they do. They LITERALLY say

"If you believe your new iPad Pro does not meet the specifications described in this article, please contact Apple Support."

There is no reason to contact Apple Support if it weren't a defect.

19. Corallus macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

That, is 400 microns (I assume from the fact 4 sheets of paper will go under, but a 5th will jam)
    Anything bent more than that, it's on apple by their own admission.

20. AndyMacAndMic, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019

AndyMacAndMic macrumors 6502

AndyMacAndMic

The last sentence is your interpretation.
    Apple does not admit it is a defect if it is out of specification.
    Apple also does not state they will take it back after the 14 day return period if it is out of specs.

They only say 'If you believe it is out of specification, please contact Apple support'.
    They lay the burden of proof with you the customer. You, as a customer, has to proof that after the 14 day return period it is indeed out of spec and that you did not bend it yourself.
    Apple does not take any legal responsibility except stating the 14 day return period.

Your conclusion that 'there is no reason to contact Apple if it weren't a defect' is your interpretation, but it is not stated by Apple. They legally can turn you down when you contact them, simply saying that you mistreated your iPad. It already happened to some people who tried to return their bent iPad after the 14 day return period (as stated in some MacRumors posts).

If you don't believe me, ask a lawyer or any other person with legal knowledge.

21. LondonFella macrumors newbie

LondonFella

"That doesn't get down to the real issue, which is can whatever material they make the phone/ipad/laptop computers of support the uses to which they are purported to be used. Can you move your phone, tablet, laptop around without incurring damage in everyday use? With the latest iPad, the answer seems to be "maybe"."

I couldn't agree more.

That's why I'm about to reset the iPad, box it up and return it tomorrow.

The previous design was not only much nicer looking (in my opinion) but it was also much more sturdy.

As stated in my previous post, I was just going to use Consumer Law if it started to bend, but it appears already that Apple is brushing people off.

Apple has become too greedy for its own good, and will lose customers at this rate.

I think I'll get my iPad 4 back out of where it's stored, and use that until the next ones are released. I guarantee they will have addressed the very obvious bending issue by then.

It's a shame, as mine has a perfect screen, but I can't be "worried" about holding it in a certain way, for fear of it bending!

"Yes, Apple still makes profits - but not off of me for much longer." I feel exactly the same way!

Screw me once, more fool you. Screw me twice, more fool me!

Typed on my 2008 iMac! (When Apple's prices were reasonable, and their QC was much, much better!).
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2019 ---
    I'm returning mine tomorrow, bud.

Apple has become far too greedy, and they are already blanking people who are going back to them with iPads which have bent during normal use.

I can't be getting into the "Apple return drama," as I have enough already on my plate.

I'll wait it out until the next generation, too.

22. pika2000 macrumors 601

Steve Jobs is the person causing all this to happen in the first place, by giving special blessing to Jonny Ive to have special power over the company.

Steve Jobs was the one sided with Ive on iPhone 4 design, ignoring the engineers’ warning on antenna gate. When confronted, Jobs went all of his way in creating an event just to deny the problem and begrudgingly gave free cases for a limited time.

So I would stop evangelizing Jobs in this problem as he was the reason for giving Ive unbalanced and unchecked power.

23. pika2000 macrumors 601

But Jobs still denied that antennagate was an issue. He, the same as Apple today, used words to deflect from admitting the problem. Of course later was revealed that he did know that antennagate was going to be an issue, but greenlighted the design anyway and sided with Jonny Ive.

Now Ive pretty much has unchecked power. We have bendgate, and now this.

24. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Produce garbage, cut corners this is exactly what you get..

Q-6

25. DCfilms macrumors member

"Subtle Deviations May Be More Visible Due to New Design"

Translate: All ipads are bent.