Apple Addresses 2018 iPad Pro 'Bending' Controversy, Says Subtle Deviations May Be More Visible Due to New Design

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 5, 2019.

1. MacDonaldTrump macrumors regular

MacDonaldTrump

So what's the best route here, keep it and handle gently? or try to get a refund on a 2 month old device and wait for the redesign?

It has changed how I used it, really get afraid to handle it to be honest.

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

If you use it normally you will have no issues. Don’t stress over a bunch of bent iPads. Not everybody has this issue.

3. willnpc macrumors member

willnpc

4. zone23 macrumors 68000

Good advise and yep I think I wait for the next UN-bent generation, to say its okay like that is just BS.

5. Digital Dude macrumors 6502

Digital Dude

Arizona where freedom still means something
    Yep, the QC/QA at Apple under the somewhat 'new' management sucks. Currently, there is no incentive for Apple to do any better.

6. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

I am a lawyer.

The burden of proof is always with the customer (or any person who wants something that is protected by law). If your phone comes with a shattered screen right out of the box - it is hard for the customer to prove they didn't drop it.

The question if it is within the 14 days period or not has nothing to do with the question if the customer damaged the device or the device was damaged out of the box. You can't break your device and return it within the 14 days period. Therefore, your logic does not apply at all.

7. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

All of the "gates" for Apple are the same: the tech media playing dumb about standard technology issues in order to generate clicks. Cell phone attenuation is an issue for every cell phone, not just the ones Apple makes. Every cell phone has a failure point for a three point bend, not just the ones Apple makes. All lithium ion batteries have limitations for voltage supply, not just the ones used by Apple. All tech products have variances in manufacturing, not just Apple's.

The standard procedure is to play dumb early on, then later try to frame it as if it was known all along that the issue wasn't with the technology, but rather with Apple's "handling" of the situation.

8. The Cappy macrumors regular

That photo looks like an iPad that's been bent on purpose. There's no gentle curve. There's a bend in the center, right where the thumbs go in every shot of someone bending one on purpose. Then he put It in the box to take the photo, so you guy would lose your minds.

9. edgonzalez32 macrumors regular

The microscopic bends aren't what people are complaining about. It's the obvious ones.

10. Eugr macrumors newbie

They should’ve chosen a more representative photo. Here is a photo of my 12.9” cellular. It was like that out of the box.

[​IMG]

It is slightly outside of Apple stated tolerance - I measured ~0.5-0.6 mm, but pretty obvious.

I also had 11” and went to get another 12.9”, and that one was also bent out of the box.

It is a real issue that affects mostly cellular models because of their plastic inserts...

11. newellj macrumors 604

Technically, what Apple is saying is that if you believe your iPad is >.4mm out of flat, you should call Apple Support - or if you're within the 14 day return period, you can return it. There is no assurance given about replacing iPads after 14 days.

--- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2019 ---
    The 11" I returned was somewhat more bent than that. The Apple sales person took it back without question, but it was within the return period. I wasn't willing to hang onto it after that without any clear statement about how Apple would deal with these.

12. jlseattle macrumors 6502

jlseattle

Ok, how many 1k + electronic products have bends in them. Apple pushed too far on the tech for this one. They should have forced the new home buttonless design into the previous case. Why go thinner and cheaper on materials for the structure of the product? Hold an iPad Pro 3rd gen versus the 2nd gen. The second gen feels more sturdy. This quality in manufacturing is what I would expect from an $100 iPad knock off.

13. likwidplastik macrumors member

likwidplastik

Yeah, but this isn't "microscopic".

14. Corallus macrumors newbie

To be fair, the similarly priced surface pro 3 had all kinds of banana issues going on. Surface book too for some..
    Microsoft's response was equally a WTF moment.
    One snippet from Reddit:

Tom: well the screen has a curve to it on one side

Tom: im not sure if this is normal but it certainly seems odd

Norly: Does the curve on your Surface Book affecting the programs and the things you do in your Surface Book.

Norly: Yeah it really is odd considering that the physical feature in the front of the Surface Book doesn't have the curved screen feature as of yet.

Tom: no its working fine it just looks a bit crap for a £1500 laptop

Norly: Oh I see. Thank your so much for your feedback Tom, we will surely address this. Anyways, we do hope that the applications and programs in your Surface Book still runs effeciently and effectively for your need.

15. reyesmac macrumors 6502

reyesmac

This one is simple. You take out your old iPad 2 that you have used for years, take off the case and lay it flat. Is it still flat? If so its designed well. Now take out you less than year old iPad pro and do the same thing. If its not still flat its not designed well. But thats not apples problem anymore, its yours right? Go buy another one. Expecting them to change what they do before taking your money is not an option for them. Somebody has to pay for all that manufacturing even if its defective, let the early adopters pay that price. Thats apples favorite renewable resource.

16. newellj macrumors 604

Correct, 400 microns on 11" is hardly microscopic. It's very easily visible to the unaided eye.

17. TonnyTech macrumors newbie

Being the perfectionist he was, Steve would have never let this happen.

18. Cyprusian macrumors newbie

Cyprusian

I bought my wife a 2018 12.9" iPad Pro for her Christmas Present (lucky girl!). Her iPad is Wi-Fi only and has no bends, perhaps adding weight to comments suggesting that case distortion is prevalent in Cellular models.

19. lovehateapple, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019

lovehateapple macrumors newbie

lovehateapple

Won't putting iPads in cases prevent them from bending? If so, seems using a case is a simple and smart solution...

I agree however, that the bending is not good for apple's reputation or customer's satisfaction and is a terrible design flaw that shouldn't have gone into production until solved.

20. Eugr macrumors newbie

Not if they are bent straight out of the box.

21. PG(Austin) macrumors regular

PG(Austin)

Even still, closing from the center, one should not expect it to bend so that is a poor excuse on their part.

22. Anuba, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019

Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Umm let's see... cracks in G4 Cube, antennagate, MobileMe, the original iPod Nano which was so scratch-prone that pocket lint made it look like a skating rink after a day or two... enough with the #SteveWouldHaveNever rose-colored glasses already, we've had 8+ years of that stuff.

23. PG(Austin) macrumors regular

PG(Austin)

With stock falling lately, can you imagine the concern they'd have doing that? I agree this is what should happen, but I sure wouldn't want to make that call.

Their penchant for thin, thinner and even thinner still is what gets them in these situations. Innovation as slowed to a crawl so the burden of wowing customers and the industry has centered on manufacturing and recycling and the manufacturing is kicking their ass lately with the aforementioned obsession with THIN. The Keynotes are even boring anymore, the lack of substance and over use of superlatives is a tired recipe and one I think Steve would have corrected long ago. Unfortunately for Cook, he has a giant of a legend to live up to.

I think they are a company trapped by their own history and historical founder. Not wanting to change ANYTHING and beating, a once relevant attribute of a device, to death. Thin and light is just not needed anymore. Ive and Cook are continuing on the same path Steve set, and I think this path has reached its end and is beginning to be a liability. I feel for them because I think they both fear taking any opportune fork.

Apple was once a pioneer and leader of the pack and lately the blunders are making them look, well, stupid. Not to take away ANYTHING from the things they have gotten right or actual innovation.

24. TommyBoyAZ macrumors newbie

TommyBoyAZ

Bought 3 of these (all 12.9), One for my oldest son with cellular, one for my wife (Wifi only model which is what she wanted), and then one for myself. The One for my oldest son and I are both the 1 TB models and have Cellular. All arrived perfectly and contain no bends. I also have a few friends that bought the 11 and 12.9 models and they too have had no issues.

Originally i was thinking "Crap are our's bent too?, I should check" but nope they are all good.

However, i also noticed that the article stated he had his in a back pack. So that makes me wonder what the backpack went thru and if that was the culprit for the bend, which could be the case.

Maybe we are the lucky few... :D

25. CordovaLark macrumors member

CordovaLark

So first it was that photos of bent iPad's were fake because that tables were actually the ones that were bent.

Now...

It is that design is so revolutionary that **** ups are now transparent. Courage.