Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
400 micron is 0.4mm. The iPad in the picture certainly would have more deviation at the ends than that..
[doublepost=1546894491][/doublepost]
Umm let's see... cracks in G4 Cube, antennagate, MobileMe, the original iPad Nano which was so scratch-prone that pocket lint made it look like a skating rink after a day or two... enough with the #SteveWouldHaveNever rose-colored glasses already, we've had 8+ years of that stuff.

There was never an iPad Nano ;)

But I had the iPod Nano and the scratching issue wasn't as bad as it was said to be. It was a pretty nice device actually. I was sad to have to send it back for a replacement, I got the later square touchscreen iPod but I would have preferred to get the old one back, it was much more beautiful.

The square one now failed with a stuck power button, sadly. It won't even turn on anymore.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Won't putting iPads in cases prevent them from bending? If so, seems using a case is a simple and smart solution...

I agree however, that the bending is not good for apple's reputation or customer's satisfaction and is a terrible design flaw that shouldn't have gone into production until solved.

I think putting my now-returned LTE in a case bent it worse.

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
If I got an ipad bent as the one in the picture I would not accept "apples excuse" I would return it instantly. No over eagerly fanboy can convince me of anything else.

Perhaps try reading the actual response from Apple and comprehending that the image shown is not from an iPad out of the box, but one that has been damaged by the user.

If you got an iPad bent as the one in the picture then Apple would replace it. They said the manufacturing tolerance is 0.4mm. The photo is closer to 4mm. There’s no “apples excuse”(sic), moreso an inappropriate image connected to an article that is causing confusion like yours.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perhaps try reading the actual response from Apple and comprehending that the image shown is not from an iPad out of the box, but one that has been damaged by the user.

If you got an iPad bent as the one in the picture then Apple would replace it. They said the manufacturing tolerance is 0.4mm. The photo is closer to 4mm. There’s no “apples excuse”(sic), moreso an inappropriate image connected to an article that is causing confusion like yours.
I keep reading this annoyance but I find it unjustified, and the article's use of that photo justified. Here's why:

• These articles/posts are about one main category: iPad Pro Bends
  • Phenomenally, we are observing two sub-categories:
    1. iPad Pros coming bent in the box
    2. iPad Pros bending during use (and possibly already bent, just bending further)
  • And we actually can't prove the second, meaning we don't know to what degree the user is responsible
  • So you see that these articles/posts are about the main category, "iPad Pro bends." That's the story
  • Hence any photo demonstrating an iPad Pro that is bent is fair game, assuming that iPad Pro wasn't bent for the story (premeditated bend)
  • It's Apple who has only responded to sub-category #1 and are willfully ignoring category #2. In fact they aren't actually addressing the bends we're seeing in #1, just using language of manufacturing knowledge to reframe the outcome to focus on how great their 400 micron tolerance is. Lets look at the language:
"These precision manufacturing techniques and a rigorous inspection process ensure that these new iPad Pro models meet an even tighter specification for flatness than previous generations. This flatness specification allows for no more than 400 microns of deviation across the length of any side — less than the thickness of four sheets of paper. The new straight edges and the presence of the antenna splits may make subtle deviations in flatness more visible only from certain viewing angles that are imperceptible during normal use. These small variances do not affect the strength of the enclosure or the function of the product and will not change over time through normal use."​

...and that paragraph is proceeded by two more paragraphs of marketing-speak. The point is Apple is playing PR games here (completely expected and understandable) and are not addressing the bends we are seeing some evidence of here on MacRumors, because Apple doesn't want to give any validity to claims the iPad Pros are flawed. Hence they are ignoring it.

That doesn't mean the journalists and bloggers should ignore it also. They should be addressing all categories of bend, not just posting images that fit Apple's PR narrative. You saying that they shouldn't post such images is playing directly into what Apple wants—to not see that image!

Reactions: LordVic

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
So many replies like yours who miss the point entirely.

What happens when it bends after 14 days from normal use? Apple won’t replace. You are stuck with it and probably can’t sell it on.

Putting an iPad in your rucksack is normal use for example yet there are reported bent photos now of them. I do it many times a week with my iPad Air 2. No bending.

Blaming the customer is not acceptable here.

Let’s face it , we have no stats here for % returned or % that have failed post 14 days.

For me it’s enough to not gamble a grand on.

This wouldn’t be an issue at all if Apple had simply made the frame stronger.

We have no idea what happened to the iPad in the backpack. We don’t know what hit it or was pushed against it or how hard. You have no idea if the presssure that bent that iPad would have bent your iPad or not. But the manufacturing bend is something that is new and different, we think. But something you can avoid.
[doublepost=1547004202][/doublepost]
Good advise and yep I think I wait for the next UN-bent generation, to say its okay like that is just BS.

Sure. Wait. iPads should be something like a once every four year purchase. No need to buy the latest.
But to say that some bend that is built in that has no impact when you use the device, is very rare, and is nearly unnoticeable is ******** is wrong. The tablet is used in your hands. You can’t notice the bend when you are using it.

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
So how had the iPad photo in the article come to be bent?
Was it general use, or mis-use?

ANY piece of flat screen can be bent. I could bend my MacBook screen if I wanted to, then post a photo of it titled "OMG APPLES MACBOOKS BEND" and gullables would be frothing at the mouth.

You specifically said if you received an iPad bent like that image, you would take it back.
Thats fine. Apple would clearly replace it as it is beyond the 0.4mm manufacturing tolerance.

I keep reading this annoyance but I find it unjustified, and the article's use of that photo justified. Here's why:

2. iPad Pros bending during use (and possibly already bent, just bending further)
  • And we actually can't prove the second, meaning we don't know to what degree the user is responsible
  • So you see that these articles/posts are about the main category, "iPad Pro bends." That's the story
  • Hence any photo demonstrating an iPad Pro that is bent is fair game, assuming that iPad Pro wasn't bent for the story (premeditated bend)
  • It's Apple who has only responded to sub-category #1 and are willfully ignoring category #2. In fact they aren't actually addressing the bends we're seeing in #1, just using language of manufacturing knowledge to reframe the outcome to focus on how great their 400 micron tolerance is. Lets look at the language:
"These precision manufacturing techniques and a rigorous inspection process ensure that these new iPad Pro models meet an even tighter specification for flatness than previous generations. This flatness specification allows for no more than 400 microns of deviation across the length of any side — less than the thickness of four sheets of paper. The new straight edges and the presence of the antenna splits may make subtle deviations in flatness more visible only from certain viewing angles that are imperceptible during normal use. These small variances do not affect the strength of the enclosure or the function of the product and will not change over time through normal use."​

...and that paragraph is proceeded by two more paragraphs of marketing-speak. The point is Apple is playing PR games here (completely expected and understandable) and are not addressing the bends we are seeing some evidence of here on MacRumors, because Apple doesn't want to give any validity to claims the iPad Pros are flawed. Hence they are ignoring it.

That doesn't mean the journalists and bloggers should ignore it also. They should be addressing all categories of bend, not just posting images that fit Apple's PR narrative. You saying that they shouldn't post such images is playing directly into what Apple wants—to not see that image!

Last edited:

FairlyKors

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2018
Staines, East London
Lovin my 2018 9.7” all day long........:apple:

That’s disgusting. You know it isn’t water/fluid proof right? You might want to swap to your iPhone and give that iPad a break before it shorts out mid-love. :)
[doublepost=1547015801][/doublepost]

Thats a ridiculous way to justify this type of article, first and foremost because we’re *not* seeing bent iPads new in the box. All we’re seeing are “bent” iPads that are literally more than 10,000X beyond the stated tolerance that Apple said they replace a new iPad at. I’ve seen plenty of spastics throw, bend, and break their Apple devices and then go on to blame it on Apple. I lived with one actually. And having is ed an iPad Pro 11” that I don’t feather dust and coddle, I can tell the thing doesn’t just bend itself.

You mix people with anger and denial issues (not uncommon) with a bunch of gullible people in a tech related forum (also, not the least bit uncommon) and you get 34 pages of the dumbest things people ever say to justify how they want to feel—which has almost no relation to what’s actually happening.

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
Thats a ridiculous way to justify this type of article, first and foremost because we’re *not* seeing bent iPads new in the box.

Quite a few people, including myself, posted pictures of bent iPads out of the box. When I went to get another one I opened the box right in front of Apple sales rep and that iPad was also bent.

Reactions: Frosties

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
264t7ao.jpg

That, is 400 microns (I assume from the fact 4 sheets of paper will go under, but a 5th will jam)
Anything bent more than that, it's on apple by their own admission.

If that is 400 microns, then IMO that's perfectly acceptable. You can see it if you look REALLY hard, but really, that's almost not there. A lot of the photos in this thread are way worse than that.

Corallus

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2019
If that is 400 microns, then IMO that's perfectly acceptable. You can see it if you look REALLY hard, but really, that's almost not there. A lot of the photos in this thread are way worse than that.
I agree, mine is literally on the limit of "acceptable" I felt it important to show the 400 micron limit so people can judge their own. Worse than this, go to Apple, less or equal than this, and it's within tolerances.

Reactions: Akrapovic

wolfie

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2008
I can clearly see the 400 micron bend. I would not accept that whatsoever.
I’m spending big money and a premium for a reason. Perceived quality.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Thats a ridiculous way to justify this type of article, first and foremost because we’re *not* seeing bent iPads new in the box. All we’re seeing are “bent” iPads that are literally more than 10,000X beyond the stated tolerance that Apple said they replace a new iPad at. I’ve seen plenty of spastics throw, bend, and break their Apple devices and then go on to blame it on Apple. I lived with one actually. And having is ed an iPad Pro 11” that I don’t feather dust and coddle, I can tell the thing doesn’t just bend itself.

You mix people with anger and denial issues (not uncommon) with a bunch of gullible people in a tech related forum (also, not the least bit uncommon) and you get 34 pages of the dumbest things people ever say to justify how they want to feel—which has almost no relation to what’s actually happening.

The point I'm making is "The Bend Issue" is wide, vague and being reported by users with various cases. It took Reddit and MacRumors by surprise and we have a lot of questions and not a lot of answers. Thats the story The Verge and now MacRumors is reporting, which is "The Bend Issue." Mixed with Apple's response. That Apple is only addressing, as a tactic of PR methodology, the 400 micron tolerance, does not limit The Bend Issue to Apple's statement.

So The Verge and MacRumors are free to use any image that depicts The Bend Issue. They are not limited to Apple's language unless you believe strongly Apple have full control of the story. The story is bigger than just "400 microns is our tolerance."

Notice how well language works when you're a seasoned PR team. It's effective in making anything else outside of that statement as seeming false.

Reactions: Eugr

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
264t7ao.jpg

That, is 400 microns (I assume from the fact 4 sheets of paper will go under, but a 5th will jam)
Anything bent more than that, it's on apple by their own admission.

Maybe this photo should be shared with the other websites so they can start updating their stock images.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
How so? I don’t find it unreasonable that an article describing an iPad bend of no more than 400 microns show an iPad bending, I dunno, no more than 400 microns?
The whole issue gets derailed by a 400 microns discussion (that nobody ever complained about and was only introduced to divert attention from the real problem)

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
^do yell. I’ve owned a 2018 iPP for quite a while and still don’t know what the “real problem” is, despite carrying it to work in my backpack most days.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
We have no idea what happened to the iPad in the backpack. We don’t know what hit it or was pushed against it or how hard. You have no idea if the presssure that bent that iPad would have bent your iPad or not. But the manufacturing bend is something that is new and different, we think. But something you can avoid.
[doublepost=1547004202][/doublepost]

Sure. Wait. iPads should be something like a once every four year purchase. No need to buy the latest.
But to say that some bend that is built in that has no impact when you use the device, is very rare, and is nearly unnoticeable is ******** is wrong. The tablet is used in your hands. You can’t notice the bend when you are using it.

Yep I still have the original iPad Pro and it does what I need.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
How so? I don’t find it unreasonable that an article describing an iPad bend of no more than 400 microns show an iPad bending, I dunno, no more than 400 microns?
The article is describing "The Bend Issue" of which a subcategory is Apple's explanation about 400 micron tolerance. The actual story is bigger, as reported by users. Apple doesn't get to control the story here, the users with bent iPads, and the reporters/bloggers covering that phenomenon, do.

Having it your way, it looks like iPads aren't arriving bent, of which they are.
[doublepost=1547158411][/doublepost]

What's the alternative, that MacRumors only post Apple-Approved Images™?

This is the original post source that borrowed the image used in the above article: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ot-have-a-case-did-you.2160723/#post-26917783

The poster doesn't understand how his $999+ 12.9" iPad Pro is bent. What is going on? Some arrive bent already (way above 400 micron tolerance) and some are bending quite easily with use (which may or may not be a users fault, depending on your perspective or what you know about that user's handling habits).

Either way the story is bigger than Apple's statements. Apple statement only addresses their standards—it in no way, shape, or form is actually addressing why some iPads are coming in visibly bent, or even the ones bending further in use (you can browse the forums for examples).

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
^do yell. I’ve owned a 2018 iPP for quite a while and still don’t know what the “real problem” is, despite carrying it to work in my backpack most days.
I think for most won’t have any issues...I carry mine to work and i’ve Had no more issues.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The article is describing "The Bend Issue" of which a subcategory is Apple's explanation about 400 micron tolerance. The actual story is bigger, as reported by users. Apple doesn't get to control the story here, the users with bent iPads, and the reporters/bloggers covering that phenomenon, do.

Having it your way, it looks like iPads aren't arriving bent, of which they are.

This whole bending issue is a nonissue. It only started because TheVerge deliberately misrepresented a statement they claimed to have gotten from an Apple spokesperson, making it seem like Apple was publicly admitting that their iPads bent to the exaggerated extent shown in those photos, while publicly denying responsibility for them.

If you want to cover a story about iPads arriving bent, or seemingly getting bent with very little effort, then run a story interviewing the people experiencing such problems. But it probably won’t gain any traction without a larger narrative, which is likely why TheVerge ultimately did what they did.

What TheVerge (and basically every other website reblogging the original same article) is trying to do here is conflate two issues. To make a mountain out of a molehill. By blowing up the matter the make it seem like a bigger deal than it actually is.

First, Apple is saying that iPads might come slightly bent out of the box as part of the manufacturing process. They even quantified the extent (400 microns) and have stated on record that any iPad bent beyond that should be brought in to their Apple stores for servicing or replacement.

Which is what I have been saying from day 1.

How is this anywhere remotely akin to the original articles claiming that “Apple said” that those horrendously bent iPads were considered normal?

Is this not the very definition of fake news? You are twisting the details to suit your own warped narrative, rather than simply sticking to just reporting facts.

And yet I have not seen TheVerge (or any other website for that matter) move to retract or clarify their original article. And I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised that a ad-driven website would resort to click bait to stir emotions and drive clicks.

I honestly don’t understand why Apple continues to grant media access to companies like TheVerge who have demonstrated that they are never going to be able to cover Apple in any sort of objective light whatsoever.

Anyways, it seems like this story has run its course and interest in it is starting to peter out. Hardly surprising, considering the dubious source in the first place.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Anyways, it seems like this story has run its course and interest in it is starting to peter out. Hardly surprising, considering the dubious source in the first place.

I've repeated myself enough that I'm not going to do it again. But that quote above isn't fair to The Verge. They reported many sub-topics regarding the bend issue:
  • What Apple said (it's part of manufacturing (slight cooling process) if theres a slight bend)
  • "The response comes after some customers on social media and several on the MacRumors forums have claimed their iPad Pros developed a small curve or bend without any mistreatment or abnormal stress being exerted on the metal casing. "
  • "And I can personally vouch for that: my 11-inch iPad Pro showed a bit of a curve after two weeks. Apple asked if I would send it their way so the engineering team could take a look. But the replacement 11-inch iPad Pro I received at Apple’s Downtown Brooklyn store exhibited a very slight bend in the aluminum as soon as I took off the wrapper."
  • "It’s an issue that seems to be more common on the LTE model, as there’s a plastic strip that breaks up the iPad’s flat aluminum sides;"
  • "Those who are annoyed by the bend shouldn’t have any trouble exchanging or returning their iPad Pro at the Apple Store or other retailers within the 14-day return window. But it’s not clear if swaps will be permitted outside that policy."
  • "This controversy arose after a viral video from JerryRigEverything saw the popular YouTuber fold the newest iPad Pro in half with seemingly very little effort. Some have criticized the video as a stunt for views and as biased against Apple."
  • "Apple says that concerns over the iPad Pro’s structural rigidity are unfounded and that it stands by the product."
  • "That confidence suggests that this is not a repeat of the “bendgate” controversy that surrounded the iPhone 6 Plus [...]"
That's a pretty well-balanced article by my estimation. They were fair to say it's prob not like the bendgate, that you can return within 14-days, they explained the manufacturing aspect, and stated its more common with LTE models due to plastic strip, which weeks later Apple confirmed and echoed in their official support note. The author also fleshed out the story's context (viral video, MacRumors). And gave his own personal account that his iPad Pro started showing a curve after some time, and how his replacement was also curved. So theres a multifaceted story there, not just a black-and-white cartoonish depiction of the issue.

So I don't see how its fair to call the story dubious. Maybe you don't like the title, which are usually written by the editor, not the journalist, after the article is written.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.