Apple Allegedly Partnering With Carl Zeiss for Augmented Reality Glasses

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2017.

1. diipii macrumors 6502a

It was mentioned on here last year that no Apple computer was capable of VR.

2. niun macrumors 6502a

niun

A device to display information from your iPhone to your face. I thought that was the Apple Watch? o_O

Also, TC is surely high on something but I don't believe it's AR.

3. EvilBoris macrumors newbie

ZEISS hold a bunch of patents that covers AR optics. Their stand last CES showed the lenses (which look like normal spectacle lenses). That is the only AR product they have beyond the VRone.

4. niun macrumors 6502a

niun

Question to some of the more alert bods out there. Did TC mention Apple's interest in AR / VR before Pokemon Go raked in billions?

My concern is trends... Apple may suddenly become all about Plumbing and rescuing Princesses.

5. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Oh, much closer to our eyes. In fact, after seeing the look of AirPods, this implementation style of Apple AR springs to mind:

6. TechGeek76 Suspended

Get a 2 year head start on companies that have been doing it for....years. Right...

7. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

All you people constantly squealing about no new Macs really need to give it a rest.

8. Thunderhawks Suspended

Thank you and btw: I include myself in that group:)
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2017 ---
    The truth hurts!

9. mdbradigan macrumors regular

mdbradigan

? My Nephews (14 & 10) got an HTC Vive rig for X-mas. Granted, these are still pretty pricey, and not ubiquitous....but VR is DEFINITELY hitting the consumer world right now. The market for VR is pretty massive. Gaming / Sales / Architecture / Design / Robotics / Remote Surgery / Entertainment / (cough) Entertainment - all of these fields have massive markets for VR.

10. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

All I heard 10 years ago was how good Carl Zeiss lenses were in digital cameras. Bought one, brought it back within a month. Like the Dragon's Den, for that reason I'm already out.

11. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

when have they EVER been first to the party except with the iphone and ipad?
    All that made apple so successful is taking the stuff that others couldnt do right and doing it the proper way.

What I don't understand is why they abandoned the display b'niss really. Cause that's a field where the entire competition doesnt deliver, at least from a design standpoint.

12. mdbradigan macrumors regular

mdbradigan

Sorry to hear about your lens - but Zeiss has been a top name in optics for decades. Probably either a dud, or a poor licensing scheme vs. actual Zeiss glass. If you have to pick an optics partner... this is a good one.

13. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

There will be a dongle, so you can connect them and wear over your existing glasses.

14. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

If you ain't making money off it, you don't speak.

15. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

I have always been FAR more interested in AR than VR. For me, VR is virtually worthless. AR, on the other hand, could be a game changer on so many levels. Here's hoping Apple will knock this one out of the park. It could be yuuuuge.

16. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Because Apple built the 1st computer, the 1st mp3 player, and the 1st smart phone.

17. brendu macrumors 68020

Apple has ALWAYS sold their computers at a higher price per specs ratio than their competitors. This isn't new. If you don't like it, don't buy a Mac. I know I won't be buying another Mac as they don't have the same value to me 10 years ago.

18. twinlight macrumors 6502a

twinlight

I can see many nice use cases for a pair of AR glasses but can't see Apple releasing them this year. I would love a pair for driving and some types of sports. Every day use isn't really there yet since they have to be light, thin and be able to map your surroundings in realtime to be really useful.

19. crisss1205 macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

The only company that has an actual produced AR device is Microsoft, so I don't see how they would be last to the party. Even then, the Hololens is not yet complete.

20. alexgowers macrumors 65816

I want to be positive about apples business choices as a consumer however VR is not the market to be going into. Surely cars are a better bet along with laptop gaming which is now becoming a big thing apple is sleeping on. AR and VR is just falling flat like 3D tvs and all the rest of the hype machine hardware developments of recent years.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The problem with Google Glass wasn't how they looked, but that the concept was inherently creepy. To move a product of this kind beyond limited industrial uses, someone has to figure out how to take the creep factor out of it. Either that, or we have to get used to behaviors that are currently treated as antisocial. If that's the path forward then I suspect Apple is not the company to do it. I believe this rumor nearly as much as I did for the ones about "the Apple Car." Meaning, not at all.

22. Apples2Apple macrumors newbie

Yet you have the trash can as your user image.....

23. BlargKing macrumors 6502

BlargKing

The gap wasn't as massive before as it is now. And they've run out of excuses. Before it was a matter of heat and energy consumption. A full desktop GPU used to be hot and use a lot of energy, but last generation we had laptops, albeit expensive ones, running full desktop 980 GPUs, and now we've got sub-2000$ laptops running full desktop 1060's, as well as laptops running full 1070's and 1080's. So whats Apple's excuse for putting a mid-tier laptop GPU in a 2000$ desktop computer?

24. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

I don't get the creepy part, there are cameras around everywhere, there is no law against photographing/filming people in public. They looked terrible, same like with street photography. Get a DSLR out with a big lens and people call you a pervert. Get a camera phone out and you are just normal. Yet get a nice old fashioned Mamiya Medium format huge classic camera and people get interested.