Apple and Samsung Combined for Over One-Third of Smartphone Sales in Second Quarter

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 23, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The latest numbers from research firm IDC reveal that the premium smartphone market continues to be a largely two-horse race between Samsung and Apple, which accounted for 21.7% and 14.1% market share in the second quarter respectively. The rival tech companies combined for 35.8% quarterly market share, finishing well ahead of emerging Chinese competitors Huawei, Xiaomi and Lenovo during the three-month period ending June 30.

[​IMG]

IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker shows that smartphone vendors shipped a total of 337.2 million smartphones worldwide in the second quarter, an 11.6% increase from the 302.1 million units shipped in the year-ago quarter. The growth was driven by not only premium devices sold by Apple and Samsung, but also the growing number of affordable handsets available in emerging countries such as China and India.

[​IMG]

Apple increased 2.4 percentage points to 14.1% during the second quarter compared to its 11.7% market share in the year-ago quarter, while market leader Samsung experienced a year-over-year decline as its market share slipped from 24.8% to 21.7%. Apple closed the gap on the continued strength of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, with the company announcing it sold 47.5 million iPhones in the third quarter of the fiscal year earlier this week.

Apple and Samsung continue to dominate the smartphone operating system race, trailed by Huawei, Xiaomi and Lenovo with 8.9%, 5.3% and 4.8% market share in the second quarter respectively. All other smartphone makers accounted for a combined 45.2% quarterly market share. Overall mobile phone shipments in the second quarter reached 464.6 million units worldwide.

Article Link: Apple and Samsung Combined for Over One-Third of Smartphone Sales in Second Quarter

2. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

looks like samsung doing it right...for some odd reason.

3. iamgalt macrumors regular

iamgalt

Samsung's shipment volume dropped 2.3% year-to-year, while apples went up 34.9%. Looks like Apple is the one doing it right.

4. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Amazing how much Samsung's "innovation" depended on a larger screen.

5. mmcneil macrumors regular

mmcneil

And 100% of the profits between the two of them. There is something strange about companies selling phones below cost unless it is really the Telcom's that are taking the loss on the equipment.

6. uwdude macrumors 6502a

What companies are in the "other" category? That's a huge percentage for other. I know LG is probably in there, and Blackberry (lol), but that's a lot of also-rans to make up almost half the market.

7. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

yeah but 2015 market share and shipments are pretty high.

8. quackers82 macrumors 6502

Nokia?

9. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

45% others!

Who are all these other smartphone makers? Are they all Chinese brands?

10. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Sony, Microsoft, ZTE, Sharp, NEC, Toshiba, Casio, Amazon, Gionee, Oppo, Oneplus, BLU, etc.
    You'd be surprised at how many companies are still trying to bet their futures on smartphones.

11. mmcneil macrumors regular

mmcneil

Don't forget Microsoft - they just took and $8.4 BILLION dollar write off on their purchase of Nokia. Clearly there are a lot of companies capturing 1-2% of the market.

12. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Sony, Nokia (Newkia)/Microsoft, LG, HTC, just off the top of my head.

I love seeing Samsung drop, I will never forgive them for two years of torture I survived as an owner of Galaxy S III. Go Apple!

13. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

One of the few headlines where you will see Apple and Samsung sharing positive news.

Apple made a huge leap in the year over year.

14. igorsky Suspended

Plus we don't really know how many of Samsung's "shipments" turned into actual sales.

15. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Your horrible experience with them was the Galaxy S III? One of their better devices?

Never had the original Galaxy S? Released with Android 2.x and immediately abandoned at Android 2.x. Try to get a 3rd-party upgrade through CyanogenMod and completely lose GPS and the ability to call 911.

Never had a Galaxy S II? It did get an Android 4.1, but also had the bad eMMC/NVRAM that would die (GT-I9100, SGH-I777, SGH-T989, etc.). Self-corrupting storage, terrible GPS, USB wakelock issues, etc.

There were probably a dozen different devices all with the "Galaxy S" and "Galaxy S II" name.
    Samsung uses their customers as part of their Research and Development. They rapid-fire crap out terrible device after terrible device (that's why every carrier always got a different looking phone, they were testing a ton of different builds and configurations), then quickly dropped support for them.

The Galaxy S III is when they started trying to clean up their act.

16. mantan macrumors 68000

gotta love the spin. Rather than saying Apple trailed Samsung, the headline talks about their combined sales.

17. billy the fish Suspended

So because you didn't like one of their handsets you want the only firm who can challenge Apple to keep on their toes with innovation to go under. Mmm.. Interesting mind set..

18. igorsky Suspended

You know what else is spin? Confusing "shipments" with "sales".

19. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Actually Samsung's innovation largely depends on Apple's innovation. :)

20. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Rather than saying that Apple trounced, I mean absolutely trounced Samsung in the profit department, and saying that Apple beat Samsung handily in revenue, they spin it by counting the number of phones, no matter what the price.

21. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

It's really a 2 horse race. Why not talk about the 2 horses involved? The article itself clearly says Apple trails Samsung in sales, and also that Apple had a HUGE gain from last year (35-47 million), while Samsung is pretty flat. It's biased to say that one or the other should be the headline.

22. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Yeah, nice phone. But if you were a heavy user you were looking at 6 hours battery life once your battery lost a bit of its umph.

Reviews are that even the S6 still can't make it through a heavy use day. Pathetic for a phone that size with a battery that big.

23. danakin macrumors regular

danakin

I don't think it's great for consumers when 2 companies dominate so much.
    From my perspective I would much prefer if there were a half dozen similarly dominant, or even competitive, players competing for our affections through relentless innovation and pricing.
    I wonder if this Apple/Samsung dominance will ever change (in the reasonable near future)?

24. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

And Apple's tech relies on Samsung.

Don't forget Samsung's price fixing that Apple benefitted from as well as Samsung's hand in allowing them to create a monopoly of NAND memory where competitors we're squeezed out of buying NAND.

Don't be one sided.

25. LordVic macrumors 601

we need more players in this game to step up and even out the field.

we all 'win' when we have more competition pushing eachother, not just 2 companies