Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that the new 13-inch MacBook Pro equipped with the M2 chip will be available to order worldwide starting Friday, June 17 at 5 a.m. Pacific Time. Apple said deliveries to customers and in-store availability will begin Friday, June 24.

macbook-pro-m2-available-feature.jpg

Apple had previously said the new 13-inch MacBook Pro would be available in July, so orders are running ahead of schedule. Customers will be able to place an order via Apple.com, the Apple Store app, or through select Apple Authorized Resellers.

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro features the same design as the previous model, including the Touch Bar, with the only notable change being the addition of the M2 chip. Pricing starts at $1,299 in the United States, with silver and space gray color options.

Apple said the M2 chip has an 18% faster CPU, a 35% faster GPU, and a 40% faster Neural Engine compared to the M1 chip. With the M2 chip, the 13-inch MacBook Pro can be configured with up to 24GB of unified memory, whereas the M1 chip maxes out at 16GB of memory. The notebook can also be equipped with up to 2TB of SSD storage.

Apple did not provide an order date for the new MacBook Air with the M2 chip, which remains listed as "available next month" on Apple's website.

While the new 13-inch MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models are both equipped with the M2 chip, one notable difference between the notebooks is that the MacBook Pro features an active cooling system to ensure sustained performance for those with "more demanding workflows," according to Apple, whereas the MacBook Air has a fanless design.

Article Link: Apple Announces 13-Inch MacBook Pro With M2 Chip Available to Order Worldwide Starting June 17

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Debating if I should place an order. There is a chip shortage in place.
All the more reason to place an order now if you think you might want one. It may be months before you get it. We're still waiting on 14" Macbook Pros where I work and the order was placed in April.

You can always cancel the order any time if you realize you don't need it.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I guess this has its appeal to some. It does a job and if that job is what you want it to do and prefer this design then fair enough.

Reactions: jav6454

michaeljk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
Was very surprised to see it comes with a TouchBar. Weird. I really liked the TouchBar (or at least the promise of what it would have been able to do if other developers had utilized it, but could see now why they didn't--Apple didn't support it much). But, on my 2018 13" MBP, the TouchBar was super flakey, meaning it would frequently just turn off, go black, then sometimes come back on when I Rebooted, sometimes not, super annoying. Anyway, glad to put that experiment behind me (have a 2021 16" MBP, which in the past (roughly) year, has been flawless (so far).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.