Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
Holy Moly, look at that Price!

X.png

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
I was in front of my Apple TV with an uninterrupted 100mbs connection, but at least 50% of the keynote was unwatchable due to delays, hangups, and video/audio that was not synced. Nice job Apple. :mad:

Kind of hard to get excited about these new things when they can't even get this right.

velelik

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2017
WTF? THE SPEAKER HUMP IS REAL? I'D RATHER CATCH SYPHILIS FROM A HYENA!!!

Edit: "speaker hump" = the cutout with "true depth" camera system + speaker + proximity sensor + ... at the top

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
FaceID had better be flawless. Didn't work too well during the demonstration. Te second time, he tried it, I wasn't that impressed with the speed. The idea I have to raise and authenticate is not as convenient as just touching as I raise to unlock. But I'm sure I'll get used to it. I wish he would have demonstrated how it would work on a flat table. THat's the other situation where I wouldn't want to have to raise the phone in order to access it.

They didn't dispel my one concern that ApplePay won't work without looking at the phone during the transaction. In many cases, the POST is away from my face.

EDIT: never mind -- the second demonstration with Apple Pay showed that it can be authenticated before extended to the POST. It's not as convenient as Apple Pay is with Touch ID now, but it might actually be more reliable. I do wonder how quickly the Face Authentication will time out though. That could get tricky.
It was incredibly quick later. It's because when it unlocks it doesn't immediately go to the home screen. You have to swipe up, and he took his time to do that. When he went quick it was fast.

I hope there's a setting that allows instant home screen instead of swipe up.

BlankSlate

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2016
Face-ID looked much slower than I thought it would be. I'm sure it will get faster in future iterations, but that demonstration today was a bit disheartening.

Reactions: saiz66

kbk75

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
I've been ready to buy the "new" OLED iPhone for a few months now, based off rumours that have been trickling out.

After the presentation today, I'm gonna wait for next year. The Face ID fail, it's seemingly slower speed than Touch ID, no Touch ID and no 512GB option = No buy.

Hopefully next year's model will have fixed all of those.

Reactions: saiz66

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Well the delayed launch of the X certainly speaks to the lower volumes they're currently getting out of production. Will be interesting to see how quickly they can ramp. My guess is that there will still be volume restraints at launch in 45 days, which will push deliveries out to January / February almost immediately.

Reactions: Niklas_nick

ruimpinho

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
No TouchID and no home button, no buy. They could've made a solution similar to galaxy s8 with the home button.

Reactions: Macomatic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.