Apple Announces 'Apple Card' Credit Card With Daily Rewards, Simplified Statements, and No Fees

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
So how do you buy something on a site like Amazon if there is no card number?
There is a card number. It's just not printed on the physical card. You can find it on the digital card in Apple Wallet. I'm pretty sure that's what I heard in the announcement.

nviz22

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2013
Variable APRs range from 13.24% to 24.24% based on creditworthiness. Apple left that out.
The fine print or key details aren't going to sell as well as nice buzz words. "No foreign transaction fees or yearly subscription fee? Sign me up." Rather than "13.24% to 24.24% APR, definitely need to get me some of that!"

Stewie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
Will places accept a card with no numbers or signature? I doubt it
MasterCard mostly got rid of requiring signatures for purchases last year. Add to that that most places you swipe/insert your own card anyway. And finally few people ever look for a signature. So this is a non issue.

Reactions: freedomlinux

My Name is URL

Suspended
Nov 18, 2013
UK
Just shows how far behind American payment services are. Here in the UK fintech banks like Starling and Monzo have been doing stuff like this for years now.

Reactions: Azzin

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
“We needed a really innovative bank, so we chose.... Goldman Sachs?”

Sure, they caused the 2008 financial crisis and have no sole, but they’re really innovative and awesome!
Goldman Sachs lost their shirt and their shoes (sole) during financial crisis? That's rough. Hopefully that will knot happen again.

Last edited:

djphat2000

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
So how do you buy something on a site like Amazon if there is no card number?
it will auto fill on the web and or app you use to pay for things. You don't need to know it, as it will be encrypted and a randomly generated number to keep it secure.

tx4app

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2015
Austin TX
Given that the physical card has no provision for a signature, I wonder if the card will feature PIN -- and, notably, offline pin -- authentication for the cases where Apple Pay cannot be used, *and* whether that will function properly everywhere. I have a true chip-and-pin -- i.e. PIN priority -- card and at one retail establishment -- Nordstrom -- their point-of-sale system would not accept it. It would fail with "transaction could not be completed". I called my bank and they confirmed the transaction doesn't even make an appearance there; i.e. it is failing at the store. And, believe it or not, on one occasion when I attempted to use the card at Nordstrom, their point-of-sale system actually *rebooted*. Really.

falainber

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Would not you get a better deal (5% cash back) even on Apple products using Discover card (at Apple store) or Amazon Card (at Amazon.com). Why would anyone want this card? To lose money?

Reactions: cardfan

gaximus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2011
As long as the register accepts it, places won’t care. I’ve been to quite a few places that took Apple Pay and the cashier was like “I don’t think we do that here” then I pay and they see the register saying Paid. And then they’re like “oh...I guess we do”. It’ll be the same thing with the Apple Card.

And we don’t know there is no signature on the back of the card.

jaytv111

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
Given that the physical card has no provision for a signature, I wonder if the card will feature PIN -- and, notably, offline pin -- authentication for the cases where Apple Pay cannot be used, *and* whether that will function properly everywhere. I have a true chip-and-pin -- i.e. PIN priority -- card and at one retail establishment -- Nordstrom -- their point-of-sale system would not accept it. It would fail with "transaction could not be completed". I called my bank and they confirmed the transaction doesn't even make an appearance there; i.e. it is failing at the store. And, believe it or not, on one occasion when I attempted to use the card at Nordstrom, their point-of-sale system actually *rebooted*. Really.
No PIN I don't think. It's just a regular credit card, except without the identifying data stamped into the card itself. And it's more of a push into Apple Pay usage since it will be best used with Apple Pay with the much larger 2% through Apple Pay but only 1% through regular card transactions.

Reactions: chabig

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Would not you get a better deal (5% cash back) even on Apple products using Discover card (at Apple store) or Amazon Card (at Amazon.com). Why would anyone want this card? To lose money?
It's a no-fee 2% cash back card. There aren't that many of them out there. This makes sense even if only as a secondary card. It gives me a better rate of return than my fee based Southwest and Chase cards, and adds Mastercard to my currently Visa only wallet, so I'm open to it.

Reactions: timeconsumer

jaytv111

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
Discover only has 5% on certain categories at certain times of the year, and it's not automatic (you must activate the category). And I don't think I've seen them ever have Apple stores in a category.

gnipgnop

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2009
Variable APRs range from 13.24% to 24.24% based on creditworthiness. Apple left that out.
True, but they did say that the APR would be on the lower end of the scale within the existing credit card market. That part of it won't represent anything new.

lartola

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2017
Well if they take contactless you’ll be using your iphone or apple watch. The titanium card is only for places wherever you can’t do that such as US restaurants. And they probably would. Americans are not as terrified of something new as people in other countries such as Mexico.