Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
It's a no-fee 2% cash back card. There aren't that many of them out there. This makes sense even if only as a secondary card. It gives me a better rate of return than my fee based Southwest and Chase cards, and adds Mastercard to my currently Visa only wallet, so I'm open to it.

What always blows my mind is why Americans use credit card. Its much easier to use debit. Why would you ever want to pay banks fees?

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Too bad I won't be able to use this at Costco. Costco only accepts any Visa cards.
At least in the US they take some contactless payment. Here in Mexico Costco persists in keeping the NFC turned off on their VX 820 pinpads and only use them for dipping in chip cards (Samsung Pay casually happens to work too, but only because it can use the magstripe reader which is not a true contactless payment).

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Yes they will if they accept MasterCard. I already have a MasterCard that does not have numbers on it. Only once did someone question it. Their machine processed it.
In fact, banks have been slowly moving towards such a tendency as a card with no numbers for a while. JPMorgan’s Chase Bank, for example, has for years been issuing cards with the details printed on the back (below the signature) instead of the front.

Reactions: ardent73

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
It’s basically other 2 percent card but only if you use Apple Pay. Not much to write home about here. No signup bonus. Not really worth getting an inquiry over unless you’re totally into Apple Pay. There’s much better to get.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
would have liked for this to be visa, and same "cashback" % on physical card and apple pay.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Apple has turned into a modern-day Shakespearean-play, the Merchant of Cupertino. And, we have witnessed on stage its main character Tim Cook, cast as a modern-day, delinquent-debt collector.

"Greed is Good, Greed Purifies" [Gordon Gekko, Wall Street]
[Hint: Variable APRs range from 13.24% to 24.24% based on creditworthiness. Apple left that out, as dannyyankou already uncovered.]

Last edited:

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Americans just love debt.

If Apple really cared, they should throw in some financial management course such as Dave Ramsey.
Not all Americans use credit cards for debt. I use credit cards for cash back and then pay them off in full each month so no interest charges. This allows me to get anywhere from 2-5% back depending on the card. It also provides better purchase protection as it’s not tied to my bank account. Lastly, on credit cards I use they extend the manufacturer’s warranty and provide benefits such as accidental damage within the first 90 days covered.

So, for me it makes more sense to use a credit card. Been doing this for probably 7-8 years now.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
So how do you buy something on a site like Amazon if there is no card number?
Apple’s sales outside the US continue to stall. Wonder how much of that is influenced by the fact pretty much every service Apple announces these days to compliement it’s premium/over priced hardware is exclusive to the US for months/years.
Probably a lot. It’s surprising that Apple has gotten away all these years with selling pricey devices with half the features disabled because they are US exclusive. And not only that, they’re now getting even more aggressive at restricting features to the US only such as with ECG on the apple watch.

travoose

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
Central PA
What's inconvenient about it? Everyone has there phone on the more often than they do their credit card. And anyway, you iPhone, iPad, Mac will just auto-fill in the info anyway like it already does.

It's an added step to pull out another item to access the number that would traditionally be on the card. However, I feel that you are taking my words out of context, as I replying to someone else regarding them asking where the numbers are at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.