Apple Announces 'Apple Card' Credit Card With Daily Rewards, Simplified Statements, and No Fees

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 25, 2019.

1. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

Using a credit card often offers many benefits and protections that debit cards do not. So if you have self control and pay the balance every month, there is zero downside. Not sure what fees you mean other than interest for balances carried forward.

2. 33man macrumors 6502

Name of the Keynote : "Make US (ed : apple ) great again"

Seriously, here in Switzerland, no Apple New, No HBO, Apple Pay blocked by the banks as they dont want pay Apple fees...

What else ?

no need to say anything else... this is USELESS for non US countries.

3. AppleInLVX macrumors 65816

AppleInLVX

I use mine to spend money I do have. Never carry a balance, and reap the rewards of the card in question. Banks hate my guts. I'd totally use this. Alas...

4. travoose macrumors member

travoose

Not Cook, but the lady that demoed it stated that they would be in the Wallet app.

5. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Because 90% of population do not pay off the balance in full. Therefore pays to banks. Its never an issue with debit! And with Visa ir Master there is often cash back. At least on all of my debit cards..

6. street.cory macrumors 6502

street.cory

It's good to know that information, but if someone is paying interest on a credit cards they're a sucker.

7. steve23094 macrumors 68030

steve23094

If our card system goes offline we don’t bother trying to process cards manually. Too much hassle. ‘Cash only or come back later’. So no change.

8. MickeyAlexander macrumors newbie

I’ve read that the trial is starting in May on the 456 lines between Grand Central and Atlantic Ave-Barclays. I’ve seen the new terminals being installed in basically all of these stations. There will be a ‘cap’ that will stop charging after the monthly fee each month, but things like transfers and other rates (I suppose like senior citizen rates) won’t be happening yet.

9. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

Say what? It’s been so years since a merchant ever asked to see my card or even touch my card that I honestly can’t remember. All they care about is if your payment comes back “approved” by the POS terminal.

10. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

great, the line i used for many years and switched to 2-3)
    sorry, not sure what you mean by the cap that will stop charging... what?

11. TimWillz macrumors regular

TimWillz

This is great, again Apple targeting a stagnant market that have taken customers for granted. I hope they roll out beyond the US ASAP.

12. jaytv111 macrumors regular

You don't have to pay fees on credit cards, assuming you're being responsible and paying off the balance each month.

From what I've seen, debit cards never give you any kind of rewards, whereas many credit cards do. In addition, fraud is harder to deal with with debit, if there's ever a huge fraudulent transaction on a debit card, the money gets drained from your account then you have to deal with the bank to get the money back in your account, but with a CC you don't have to pay a fraud charge if you deal with it in time.

13. kironin macrumors 6502a

kironin

why not ? they really do now, all that's needed is the chip. or even just the strip which is less secure

numbers on the card is highly insecure, and the signature is just a complete joke.

14. coolbreeze2 macrumors 6502a

coolbreeze2

So far everything I've heard and read about this card is cool!

15. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

Sure. I mean, without any proof I guess you can go ahead and believe anything you want.

16. lartola macrumors 6502

lartola

It is precisely the signature requirement for purchases that was dropped a year ago in the US (and it was not replaced by a PIN like everywhere else), and as a result so will the signature on cards be eventually I guess.

17. racerhomie macrumors 6502

racerhomie

I thought Europe has already stuff like this figured out.

18. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502a

Vjosullivan

A financial management course taught by Gordon Ramsey. Now that would make a good Apple TV original.

19. lartola macrumors 6502

lartola

Only if you want the new Apple Card. Otherwise, you will still be able to use Apple Pay with your other cards just as you are using it now.

20. racerhomie macrumors 6502

racerhomie

Then dont buy it. Simple. Apple is not forcing you to give them money.

21. Gezrah macrumors newbie

I don't know if places in the US still write numbers down but from my experience in Scandinavia a merchant would never write down card numbers for manual processing. The terminal always processes an in person transaction. If the system can't connect to the payment network it stores the transaction until it can connect again.

The only case I can think of for card numbers would be online which are secured by various means including 3D Secure. But of course Apple Pay can be used on various websites, as can services such as Masterpass or even Paypal.

The use of a card number as a transaction facilitator could be slowly coming to an end.

22. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

This. Is a merchant even allowed to accept cards manually these days? That seems like a potential boon for criminals - fake printed cards and ID and shopping sprees whenever the network is down.

23. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

I don't recall specific details leaked. All the leaks I've seen was just that it would help people manage their money. How exactly it does that wasn't leaked.

24. shplock macrumors regular

All the details you need to make such a transaction are stored in the wallet app

25. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502a

I'm going to pass. I don't trust Goldman Sachs and too much financial information on the iPhone despite Apple telling us our privacy is their utmost concern. There is always someone looking for ways to hack into cyberspace and difficult to straighten out your credit reporting agencies so for now, actual credit cards will do.

And a rarity when someone actually ask to see my credit card.