Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Just tried that and it is asking me to subscribe to the WSJ even though I have News+.

After getting into a WSJ article, click on the "Wall Street Journal" banner at the top. That should take you to the screen that will let you look at the News+ content. You are only going to be able to access the stories shown on this screen or in the "related article" links within the News app. The click-through links within the article that take you to wsj.com content won't work without a separate subscription even though they take you to content that is very likely available on the News+ app. I can see that being a problem.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
After getting into a WSJ article, click on the "Wall Street Journal" banner at the top. That should take you to the screen that will let you look at the News+ content. You are only going to be able to access the stories shown on this screen or in the "related article" links within the News app. The click-through links within the article that take you to wsj.com content won't work without a separate subscription even though they take you to content that is very likely available on the News+ app.

OK that worked. Thanks! Not very intuitive, but that works. I have a TON of articles to see now.

Reactions: LizKat

Mazeman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
Just tried that and it is asking me to subscribe to the WSJ even though I have News+.

Same is happening to me. I've subscribed to Apple News+, but the WSJ articles don't seem to recognize that. They keep asking me to subscribe.

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
OK that worked. Thanks! Not very intuitive, but that works. I have a TON of articles to see now.

You're welcome. Don't forget to click on the individual section tabs at the top. From what I read "Business & Finance" is going to be de-emphasized from the main news feed in favor of general news and lifestyle. If you want the WSJ for the business news then you're going to want to check at least this section by itself.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
I purchased the trial. I am a current subscriber of Texture, so I thought I would give it a try. I do have a couple questions that I cannot figure out....
Totally with you! I’m wondering if the trail is truncated in some way? Not giving us the full program? Because I’m a Texture subscriber, too and so far I’d rather use Texture than News+ for all the reasons you listed and more....

(1) I should be able to see ALL the magazine choices in Browse—and when I click on one, it should be added to “My Magazines.”

But I can’t see them all (you have to go through each category), and it seems that “My Magazines” only lets you have 5 magazines in the queue! :confused: That makes no sense to me. So, if I download National Geographic, I can read it, but then it will vanish if I download some other magazine—because there can only be X-number in the “My Magazines” area...meaning that next month I’ll have to find the new National Geo and download it AGAIN....

Texture has all my magazines in one place, and automatically downloads new ones. Shouldn’t News + be doing that?

(2) I’m SO on board with you on the past issues. Where are they? Texture let you browse old issues, which can become important. If I missed the March issue of National Geo on News +, am I out of luck? Lots of times I don’t get around to a magazine before the next issue appears. Without a “back issue” option, I’ll miss a lot of them. And if I am a subscriber, then aren’t I paying for those issues I’m missing? Shouldn’t I be able to have access to them? Not just to the ones out at the moment?

(3) No saved stories! I see that option for the regular News, but News+ isn’t offering a “saved stories” for the downloaded magazines. Again, Texture offers this. I can bookmark an article I read months ago and re-read it, or a recipe I liked. What the heck? o_O

I, too, would like to find out what’s going on with this service. They bought Texture...why not bring over those features? Being able to see all magazines, automatic updates, back issue access, and save stories? I really want to know what the deal is, and I want to know if Texture will vanish. Because I want those features and I’ll keep Texture over News+ if I can in order to have them.

Reactions: pdxa4

MJBarnes

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2015
Totally with you! I’m wondering if the trail is truncated in some way? Not giving us the full program? Because I’m a Texture subscriber, too and so far I’d rather use Texture than News+ for all the reasons you listed and more....

(1) I should be able to see ALL the magazine choices in Browse—and when I click on one, it should be added to “My Magazines.”

But I can’t see them all (you have to go through each category), and it seems that “My Magazines” only lets you have 5 magazines in the queue! :confused: That makes no sense to me. So, if I download National Geographic, I can read it, but then it will vanish if I download some other magazine—because there can only be X-number in the “My Magazines” area...meaning that next month I’ll have to find the new National Geo and download it AGAIN....

Texture has all my magazines in one place, and automatically downloads new ones. Shouldn’t News + be doing that?

(2) I’m SO on board with you on the past issues. Where are they? Texture let you browse old issues, which can become important. If I missed the March issue of National Geo on News +, am I out of luck? Lots of times I don’t get around to a magazine before the next issue appears. Without a “back issue” option, I’ll miss a lot of them. And if I am a subscriber, then aren’t I paying for those issues I’m missing? Shouldn’t I be able to have access to them? Not just to the ones out at the moment?

(3) No saved stories! I see that option for the regular News, but News Plus isn’t offering a “saved stories” for the downloaded magazines. Again, Texture offers this. I can bookmark an article I read months ago and re-read it, or a recipe I liked. What the heck? o_O

I, too, would like to find out what’s going on with this service. They bought Texture...why not bring over those features? Being able to see all magazines, automatic updates, back issue access, and save stories? I really want to know what the deal is, and I want to know if Texture will vanish. Because I want those features and I’ll keep Texture over News+ if I can in order to have them.

Glad I wasn't missing something! I will stick with Texture for now... Assuming eventually these features will be added to News+.

I did notice that News+ has magazines not included in Texture. (Xbox, Playstation, PC Gamer, etc).

Whathappened

Suspended
Mar 15, 2018
I was looking for a hook to get me and didn't find it.
I thought it would have to be under $5 to get me to even look at it.
Boy did they miss that mark.
$10/month for listening to a choice of a million songs vs $10/month for a couple of magazines I may look at for a few pages?
No one raised their hand when this price was discussed?

Also, can you say when you start the trial or does it start when you update to new app?
Raise their hand because it’s so cheap?
It’s nobody’s fault but yours that you are reading so little.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Will never use this

Why do people feel to make the need to make these kinds of comments?
[doublepost=1553552451][/doublepost]
$13 to read fake news written by art grads? Pass.

Everything you said is correct except:
  • it is $9.99
  • it's real
  • some of the authors are not art grads
[doublepost=1553552557][/doublepost]
I'm loving how you were just told Sunday your "news" has been lying to you this whole time and some of you still want to sign up to read it, and pay them for it.

LOL!

Maybe there was more you intended to type because what is here makes zero sense.

coolant113

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
New Jersey
I am trying to Access News + on my Mac and it appears it not accessible on the desktop yet. Why didn't the update the desktop app yet?

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
You're welcome. Don't forget to click on the individual section tabs at the top. From what I read "Business & Finance" is going to be de-emphasized from the main news feed in favor of general news and lifestyle. If you want the WSJ for the business news then you're going to want to check at least this section by itself.

Thanks for the tips on the WSJ too. That worked. So far I will not be canceling my WSJ subscription though. I like it to read like the newspaper, which is the way the WSJ digital access does. Wish Apple News+ would work like that too.

Apple needs to make it easier to see what papers you get with the subscription. Seems confusing, unless I am missing something.

theprophe

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Ok figured some stuff out, I’m in canada, and the Wall Street journal and la times aren’t offered in news+ only the Toronto star. If you change your iTunes account to US then you can get those in news+

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Just signed up for the trial. The WSJ section looks pretty good to me, although I only spent a few minutes. I don't think the dedicated WSJ app offers anything close to $25/month more value.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I can download most of the magazines I want from my local library for free. My Amazon Prime gets me a discounted subscription to WaPo.

I’m surprised that more people don’t use their local library for ebooks and emagazines. My wife gets 3-4 audio books per month at no cost. Sometimes you do have to wait to check out popular titles but the price can’t be beat.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Started the trial and downloaded an issue of the New Yorker because I wanted to compare it to the New Yorker's native app, which I subscribe to.

The Apple version is missing at least 20% of the magazine. It seems they stripped out any local NYC stuff. No talk of the town. No restaurant review. No mast head.

Last edited:
Reactions: NetMage

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Definitely targeted at those who like to read. ;)

LOL. Might be the post of the day...

I think that the "killer app" would be daily newspapers. WSJ, Financial Times, NYT just to name three. Magazines? meh.

I like The New Yorker... but I generally agree, unless News+ has managed to haul in some quarterly literary mags. Newspapers are my main thing.

======
I would love to subscribe to this but have no idea if it will ever arrive to Netherlands.

I read this as neanderthals and was trying to catch the joke. LOL.

Heh, more nominees for post of the day.
=======

I'm tempted to try News+ although I have a bunch of online newspaper subs and would keep some of them since may end up preferring their proprietary apps' formats. I have to see how it works on a Mac; I've only ever used News on iOS devices, curious about how News+ will look on an MBP. Didn't even know there was that option for the News app. (or, was there? not sure).

LoveMyMacPro

Suspended
Aug 22, 2015
This will be great for people who enjoy reading, and there are still plenty of us out there. The pompous, ignorant people who scream fake news at everything that doesn’t support their narrow worldview in the little hate filled bubble they live in are not the target demographic, so just move along if that’s you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.