Apple Announces Apple News+ $9.99 a Month Subscription Service With Access to Over 300 Publications

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Khedron macrumors 6502a

DOA.

Apple need to sack Tim. This is pathetic.

2. Corsig macrumors regular

Kind of hard to know how much of a value this is without a full list of titles

3. Arndroid macrumors 6502a

Arndroid

WSJ is pretty crappy compared to what it was many, many, years ago, and their editorial board is absurd.

4. aapl owner macrumors newbie

aapl owner

This is a pretty good deal since it includes WSJ which by itself is nearly $10/month. I can see why some don't like it but its actually a good deal if you have magazine subscriptions.

5. H. Flower macrumors 6502

6. nylon macrumors 65816

nylon

Whether young folk are reading depends on the kid and by extension the parent. I know lots of kids who are voracious readers. Social media has certainly wreaked havoc on childhood though.

7. Emathieu macrumors regular

Same here. I guess I'll try again later tonight or tomorrow. I'm really interested in comparing the News+ WSJ vs. my direct WSJ sub.

8. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

Update you iOS and sign up for the free trial and all your questions will be answered

9. aapl owner macrumors newbie

aapl owner

The WSJ is pretty much one of the only honest and neutral news sources out there. The NYT and WashPost are mostly political rags pretending to be news and the newsmagazines like Time and Newsweek have been irrelevant for 20 years.

10. H. Flower macrumors 6502

You think because it's called the Wall Street Journal it's for investors only?

You need to read more!

11. jwdsail macrumors 6502

Not really interested in the service, I've been trying to reduce my monthly expenses, not add to them?

Back when I still have 4+ magazine subscriptions, this service, if all 4+ magazines were available, may have really excited me?

Right now, I wish there was an easy way to get the News app to include the pdf versions of magazines I get that are included with memberships I have? If the News app could offer a way to add these free with membership magazines it'd be much more useful for me?

12. rcooked macrumors regular

I’m not sure it is the full WSJ. I read over in 9to5 that it’s some curated version. Can anyone confirm?

13. aapl owner macrumors newbie

aapl owner

ROFL, if you actually give the NYT your money every month no wonder you do not see that this new service from Apple is a good deal.

14. T4R06 macrumors 65816

15. stoopkidblues macrumors 6502

stoopkidblues

Here’s the thing with us “young readers”: it isn’t that we aren’t reading, it’s that we have so many alternatives for free. While I don’t think many of us will sign-up I can see a lot who will simply because it’s $10 for all access. *shrugs*

To cater to this Millennial market, price point is a huge factor and we all have to remember: this is just the initial offering. Maybe once other larger companies (NYT, etc.) see that it’s “popular” they’ll add their content as well. But for now $9.99/month seems like a good deal to get *most* of what we read for now. I’d even bet they’ll offer lower pricing in the future for students as they’ve done for AM and the sorts. It’s just a matter of time but Apple knows that convincing the gens to come are more than likely turned off by subscribing to *each* individual service when a bundle is more attractive.

Plus the whole “cancel anytime” perk so even if you are slightly convinced during the trial, canceling later on is still an option. Idk, it needs some time to settle before we all say it’s DOA lol

16. JetTester macrumors 6502

I don't have time to read a bunch of news plus a bunch of magazines, so this wouldn't be of interest to me. But I can see it being a good deal for someone who has the time available to make it useful.

17. ballyhoos macrumors member

Another "...curated news service..." Just what we want, more social manipulation by silicon valley, of what they deem is 'news'. That's basically a propaganda service, in-which you pay for.

18. MJBarnes macrumors member

Hello all.

I purchased the trial. I am a current subscriber of Texture, so I thought I would give it a try. I do have a couple questions that I cannot figure out.

1.When I "Browse the Catalog", it does not list all the magazines that the individual tabs have. For example, Truck Trend is not listed in "Browse the Catalog", but it is listed under "Cars".

2. How do I see past issues of the included magazines?

3. How do I add magazines to "My Magazines"? It does list some magazines, but I cannot figure out how to add additional magazines.

4. With all the talk of the Wall Street Journal, I only see this in the curated News section, not in the News+ section.

Assistance is appreciated.

19. theprophe macrumors member

So I’m trying a few mags, what a disappointment , I tried hockey news,and wired and they won’t let you read in portrait mode, they show you 2 pages in landscape mode, so the text is 2 small on my 10.5. National Geographic is done properly in landscape like it was made for news+ but almost all mags are like the 2 I tried. Now to try the newspapers, but I can’t see where they are, do any of you see them?

20. abrantes09 macrumors member

abrantes09

Anyone else on the 12.2 betas not have the option for news plus? My iPad, which is not on the beta, has the option, but iPhone and iMac both are missing it.

21. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

I will subscribe to this for a few months. Longer if we like it.

22. theprophe macrumors member

2. You have to search for the magazine, then you will see the back issues
    3. You have to click on the magazine, then it will list under “my magazine”

23. Kierkegaarden macrumors newbie

Kierkegaarden

I was distracted by this too. It was the most ridiculous outfit I’ve seen at any Apple presentation. Given how tightly controlled and scripted their events are, why on earth would they allow one of their representatives to dress so unprofessionally? I don’t remember what Tim wore, and that’s the point. Your words should be the focus, not your dress. If they allow their speakers to wear whatever they want, it’s going to start looking like a damn circus.

24. stoopkidblues macrumors 6502

stoopkidblues

Not sure if you have to update to the public release. Just noticed there was one although I still have the beta profiles installed. So maybe it’s a server-side update if running the beta, but maybe you have to actually update to the official release though you should still be able to update to any future betas (like a 12.2.1 tomorrow?)

25. abrantes09 macrumors member

abrantes09

Yeah, I can wait for 12.2.1. Like you said, maybe tomorrow.