Apple Announces iPad Air 2 with Thinner Profile, Touch ID, and A8X Processor

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 16, 2014.

1. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Not if you were hoping for a Mandarin simultaneous translation it wasn't. ;)

2. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Did they demonstrate the anti=reflectivity? Does it really make a difference (and does it make the screen darker though)?

3. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Yup, my thoughts exactly. I am going to leave the 7.9" form factor and go back to big. Too much that is way better now on the iPad Air 2. I am actually going to wait for reviews and teardowns this time before ordering though...

Fun while it lasted iPad mini...

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

Pretty small update as expected. Though still better than the "update" the iPad Mini line got.

Looks like I'll be good with my iPad Mini 2 for at least 2 more years.

5. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Not the same camera.

6. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Multitasking will probably come with iOS 9. The ram and technology is there, and it was in the iOS 8 beta code.

As for there being nothing new, it has an improved camera, faster processor, and Touch ID.

7. Raizen.Z09 macrumors member

I will update from my Air only if:
    1. 2GB of RAM, Apple didn't mention anything about the memory in the keynote, and nothing is on their Spec page.
    2. The new display design doesn't have burn-in issue. Because the last time they put a new design on MacBook Pro line, a lot of the owners got pissed finding that their screen has burn-in problem. (This is more of a panel problem. New design, new panel?)
    3. It doesn't bend way too long. Jokes aside I hope the thinner body is as solid as the Air.

8. mrbyu macrumors 6502

I also don't understand this policy with iPad mini... why, why, WHY?? It was such a wise thing from Apple that they brought the Air and the mini on the same level spec-wise, and now they make this outrageous move? Heck, NOW I can understand the people who say that they don't even need an iPad next to an i6 Plus. No wonder... and don't come at me with this "it's enough for iOS" bs... yes, today it's enough. But I can see the forum posts here in two years when iOS 10 comes out: warning, don't install it on iPad mini 3, may cause slowdown... anyway, what's up with these cubbish names, iPad mini 3, iPad Air 2, come on.. have you seen the lineup on apple.com already? It's a terrible mess, even looking at it hurts my eyes. Sorry, it's really rare from me to whine here, because normally I'm an Apple fan, but I am starting to get disappointed in many ways...

9. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

Under what circumstances would the A8 processor in the Air 2 be noticeably superior to the A7 in the Air 1?

I don't think I need more than 32gb of storage, so I really don't want to jump to a 64gb Air 2 if I can avoid it.

I generally use the iPad to surf the web (wifi) or read (Kindle/Pdf).

I'm still using a 64 iPad 1 because I'm still angry at myself for buying all that unnecessary storage and I'm angry at Apple for rending this thing fairly obsolete after a year or two.

10. Brian Buttplug macrumors member

Yep. I am too, or rather my wife is. But i have chosen her carefully :)
    And my old mum is happy with her iPad 2.

If it has 2 GB of RAM I'm ready to shop.

-Brian

11. Imory macrumors 6502a

I'd suggest to visit some tourist attractions then, a lot of people are using it. Would never do it myself since my phone has a superior camera.

They look like a dork? I don't think so, not really that bad because of the obvious fact that it has a large viewfinder and is easy to hold nowadays thanks the little amount of weight.

Decreasing the brand of Apple? You've got to be kidding me? That's by far the most pathetic and illogical thing I've heard in a long time on these forums. Apple advertises it as a major feature, and you think the users would somehow "decrease" the brand? Get a grip man.

12. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Probably a technicality, but when does the Dell ship?

13. RollTide1017 macrumors regular

I just don't understand why Apple has decided to keep the 16GB size instead of starting at 32GB. The price difference can't be that much, just seems like they are purposely gimping the cheapest version on storage.

Oh well, I've lived with 16GB for years, guess I can keep living with it.

14. majkom macrumors 65816

if 2gb ram rumour is true, this is perfect iPad... instant buy for me.

15. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

When they started cutting through that pencil I said out loud "You've got to be kidding me." I've never heard anyone complain about how fat the iPad Air is. Another couple hours of battery life would be cool. Or you could clock the processor a little bit higher. Or add more RAM which uses some extra battery.

The thing that interests me the most about the iPad Air 2 is that they've significantly reduced reflections on the display. I like drawing and editing/organizing photos in Lightroom on my iPad in the hammock outside, but even under the leafy canopy the glare can be fairly annoying.

If they tear this thing down and it only has 1GB of RAM then that's going to make the decision a whole lot easier for some of us early adopters to just wait this one out. Multitasking is coming and it isn't on this thing if it has 1GB or RAM.

This thing is even thinner than the iPhone 6 Plus now. Went from 7.5mm to 6.1mm. I wonder how long until the bend stories start rolling in? People are going to grab their iPads and start bending them over their knee, lol. That's how you make that YouTube money!

16. mrbyu macrumors 6502

Rumour says the 16 GB iPhone/iPad will never disappear. EVER. In 2044 the there will be the iPad mini Air Pro 12S, and the base model will have 16 gigs, then comes the 128 gb model. They will keep the 16 gig model forever just to annoy people.

17. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

A 100% underwhelming day. I was hoping for a ipad pro or retina air suprise at the end.

Hope the stock holds...

18. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

It says it is coming "soon" on Dell's own site, so it isn't shipping yet. The Air 2 ships next week and you can order it tomorrow.

So technically, the Air 2 is the thinnest tablet in the consumer world as of tomorrow...that said it obviously loses that title the moment the Dell can be ordered by the general consuming public.

Apple wouldn't make a blatant false claim like that, they are sly enough to make sure what they claim is technically true.

----------

Ha ha, it won't. Hold I mean. Buy more tomorrow when you see the drop and then sell the day after the fiscal Q1 earnings call when Cook will announce approximately 100m iPhones sold, smashing previous records.

19. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yep. Me too.

20. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

I know... That's why I expected to come today.

This isn't necessarily new. We already knew that this would come, there were no surprise.

21. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

How long would it take to see the first Youtube video of some dude bending iPad Air 2? Frankly, I don't see much appeal of this being thin thing; the thing is thin enough to matter.

22. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

It is, needless to say, a marketing strategy designed to maximise profits.

23. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

I have a 64GB iPad. Should I stick with the 64GB or go 128GB... decisions decisions.

24. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Probably because they sell millions and millions of that capacity to nit only the general public, but also institutionally as single purpose devices, like in education, enterprise, and medical applications.

Why sell that high a volume at a lower margin? People like you are going to buy them! However, you should really think about bumping up to 64GB now that is has gone down in cost. You are actually getting decent value for the $100 at this point.

25. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

So, did they ever tell us what that little hole on the side is for?