Apple Announces iPad Air 2 with Thinner Profile, Touch ID, and A8X Processor

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 16, 2014.

1. colenso macrumors newbie

Ipad mini 3?

+ $100 for a Touch Id? Really?

Not even a processor upgrade? A better screen? Less weight? Something! Who in their right mind will buy the Ipad Mini 3?

Stop drinking your own Kool Aid Apple. Honestly.

2. Glassed Silver, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

I agree all the way, but wrong thread, man.

Go here.

Glassed Silver:mac

3. 0970373 Suspended

Super bummed out about the lack of iPad Mini updates. Touch ID is nice but no upgrade on the processor or display is a major letdown. I don't want a full size iPad. The mini is the perfect size for my needs. Oh well. I guess I won't be buying an iPad this year. :(

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I'm worried you go out in public in pants with pockets that can hold a 10" tablet. ;)

5. desantii macrumors 6502

desantii

16Gb model needs to go away at this price point..

6. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's just me but I get annoyed when I see people use an iPad to take pictures.

7. 0970373 Suspended

That's for the MAC Mini. He was talking about the iPad Mini 3.

8. 827538 macrumors 65816

It's not just you.

Also any news on if this thing has 2GB RAM? I really notice it when browsing the web on my sister's Air as I plan on getting this for my Dad.

9. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Which also means that you pay $100 for just a touch ID sensor :rolleyes: (with the mini 2 now being 299). I can't see how that would be worth it to anyone.

Edit: which was already mentioned I see, sorry

10. WLS, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

WLS macrumors 65816

I think we are missing an upgrade here. I'll go out on a limb and say that the cellular Mini 3 also has the new Apple sim with multi carrier connectivity. But yea its a rather lame update. the mini 2 is the better deal. The best news today was that the mini 2 is now $100 cheaper.

11. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

Fixed it, thanks for the heads up.

Glassed Silver:mac

12. StyxMaker macrumors 68000

StyxMaker

That's the way I do it now. When you press and hold the down volume button it goes to mute.

13. randymac09 macrumors regular

I assume since this isn't available for purchase yet, Apple can claim they have the thinnest tablet. But who knows.

Side note: I think I'll be upgrading from my iPad 3.

14. itjw macrumors 65816

You know what they say about guys with big pants??

They're fat. Really fat. That's all.

BUT WILL IT BEND!?!?!

#IPADBENDGATE2014

15. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Dual mics.

I'm still considering picking up the Air2 but was disappointed by the lack of Retina HD display and multitasking support. Hopefully it has 2GB RAM so that it can support multitask when it comes (likely iOS9 at this point).

16. ghettochris macrumors 6502a

Many people have no need for even 8GB, so I am fine with the lowest option being that. especially with how much you can do in the cloud these days.

----------

thinner, better screen, touch id, better cameras, faster cpu and graphics, WTF did you want? I am more than happy with this upgrade hardware wise, and they can update iOS anytime they want for better multitasking, or you can jailbreak and do whatever you want software wise.

17. mikew3 macrumors member

Most of the time the storage is needed for all the Apps themselves. Content, on the other hand, such as music and movies are another matter altogether

18. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

Might I reccomend Do Not Disturb's Scheduled mode? I never get disturbed in bed because it's silent between midnight and 8am.

I know, sometimes the thinness at the expense of other features is annoying, but the iPod Touch feels so nice, I can see why they do it. It makes it "get out of the way" more, if you know what I mean.

19. RockSpider macrumors 6502a

You're not the only one, I'd much rather they spend the money on speed, ram and battery life, but that's just me. Every other company besides Apple does these things, but Apple just works on the margins.

20. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yep, should have been 32,64,128.

21. Sandstorm macrumors 6502a

Sandstorm

It might work for some, but at the moment I have super random sleep schedule. I know it's not healthy. :)

PS - the more I think about the removal of mute switch, the more I'm worried. Now, with continuity, I both love and hate that all devices now ring with incoming call. My iPad rings even in do-not-disturb mode (WTF!), Only mute switch helps. I hope this is a bug and it is fixed with 8.1.
    Some people are suggesting "just lower the volume to zero". That is NOT a solution! I'll give you example - I often leave a short, non-repeating "sleep" playlist of relaxing music on Spotify when I go to bed. I leave the volume low, but, of course, I can not switch it off completely. But - I DEFINITELY do NOT want to be disturbed, so I use mute switch + do-not-disturbe mode (just to be sure). What will I do now? :(

22. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Kinda pissed off. What happened to the mute switch? I like the convenience of a physical button rather than going through settings or control center. No Retina HD, no rounded edges, still no flash, no 2gb RAM, no NFC although it is impressively thinner.

23. ghettochris macrumors 6502a

I bet the average ipad user has less than 1GB of downloaded apps on their ipads. You have to remember how all the non forum dwelling normal people use their stuff. My parents haven't download any apps, and i know many who only download a few messaging apps that take up like 100 MB total.

24. flur macrumors 68020

flur

YES. I reserve the right to judge anyone who goes to an event or tourist site and holds up their iPad to take a picture, blocking other people's view.

25. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

That'd be my reason to upgrade. I don't have it on iOS 8 and have no plans to get it there.