Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mscice

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
I get the new phone every year. I can't think of a single reason to buy this year except the larger size.
I'm actually in shock at the lack of new features.
Maybe we hit a plateau, who knows.
Totally agree with ya

Apple cant innovate anymore

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I was all excited until the pricing was announced. I'm still going to get it, but as a heavy AAPL investor, I think they're throwing away an opportunity. You just can't have the cheapest new phone starting at $749, or your flagship STARTING at $1099. I get it, you can get a 7 or an 8 for cheaper, but even those aren't cheap. They're ignoring a huge segment of the market.

well the iPhone 8 started at $699 and "inflation" ya know. basically Apple will see how the Xr performs with all its new tech at that price and if it doesn't go well next years "cheap" new iPhone will be back to $699. apple will NOT be launching *new* iPhones sub $699-749ish ever again and hasn't for many years. i think most might think $49 extra for the top of the line processor, screen from 4.7 -> 6.1, edge to edge, face ID, and single camera that does portrait mode for the first time is likely a pretty sweet deal.

AppleFan910

Suspended
Jul 19, 2018
Boston
How can we have more “features”? How can you all call this boring?? This ain’t Samsung where they throw useless features and gimmicky things to attract buyers. Most phones 7,8,X can do anything. It’s the updates features. Faster processor, camera upgrade, faster Face ID, better AR, i could go on and on.

Smh.

What did you expect? An iPhone that can take you to the moon in a hour???

Reactions: pete480

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
I don't want to be negative but I've never seen a new iPhone with so few new features. The S line might have always kept the same exterior design in the past but at least there was some big new feature. These phones have absolutely no new features apart from the post-processing bokeh. They kept saying about all these new innovations that the A12 chip enables but in the end they didn't announce a single new feature. The design is great, the phones are the most beautiful on the market and I'm sure they are also the fastest but compared to the X there is absolutely nothing new. They even devoted half an hour on the cameras despite the fact that all new additions were minor and software only.
That post processing Bokeh is already available and super easy through 3rd party apps, such as Dark Room! I couldn't agree more on the lack of the new features! That camera sensor is pretty much the same hardware wise. There was nothing new except for the XS Max. I do not count the XR since it's inferior in many ways.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Tough room. No crazy applauding.

that only happens at WWDC with developers and lots of employees in the audience. these events are media and short of something truly ground breaking they sit pretty quiet.
[doublepost=1536782351][/doublepost]
Totally agree with ya

Apple cant innovate anymore

the rest of the industry STILL doesn't have a face ID equivalent, nor a true edge to edge screen (they all have a slight chin on at least one edge).

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
mt8i03.jpg

Awesome.... Good starting prices...

TheSuperE

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Portland, OR

Apple today in California officially announced the "iPhone XS" and "iPhone XS Max," the latest iPhone models coming this year. The company confirmed that both models will come in Space Gray, Silver, and Gold color options, with Gold being the new addition to the iPhone XS lineup this year.

The iPhone XS models have the same design as the iPhone X from 2017, with an edge-to-edge OLED display, greatly reduced bezels, and a "notch" that houses the front-facing TrueDepth Camera system. The iPhone XS is the direct iPhone X successor and measures in at 5.8 inches, while the XS Max is Apple's biggest iPhone yet at 6.5 inches.

main-iphone-xs-pic.jpg

Apple says that the XS lineup has the most advanced iPhone features ever seen, thanks to a new A12 Bionic chip, which is the industry's first 7-nanometer chip. A12 Bionic includes a next-generation Neural Engine, powering a new and improved Face ID on the iPhone XS and XS Max, making the biometric security feature faster than iPhone X.

The new iPhones have the highest pixel density of any Apple device, coming in 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch sizes. The Super Retina displays have a custom OLED design and support Dolby Vision and HDR10, meaning that you can watch 4K content on the devices. On iPhone XS Max, you'll be able to see over 3 million pixels in videos, movies, and games.

iphone-xs-arkit.jpg

As Apple points out, the iPhone XS Max is the largest display it has ever built in an iPhone, but the overall size of the device is similar to the iPhone 8 Plus. The screen includes the most durable glass ever in a smartphone with improved scratch resistance, the band around the side retains the iPhone X's stainless steel finish, and the back is made out of glass as well to enable wireless charging.

Both models are rated to IP68 water resistance for up to 2 meters for 30 minutes of submergence, meaning that the devices are protected against everyday spills and dips.

In terms of the processor, Apple's A12 Bionic features a six-core fusion architecture with two performance cores and four efficiency cores, as well as a four-core GPU, video encoder, Signal Processor, and more. All of this is as much as 50 percent faster and more efficient than last year's iPhone X, enabling new experiences in games, photography, video editing, and more.

iphone-xs-selfies.jpg

Battery life is 30 minutes longer than the iPhone X on the iPhone XS, while the XS Max offers battery life that lasts an hour and a half longer than iPhone X.

The camera on the iPhone XS includes advanced depth segmentation, Smart HDR, advanced bokeh quality in Portrait mode photos, and dynamic depth of field that you can adjust after you take a photo. The 12-megapixel dual camera system features dual optical image stabilization with 2x optical zoom, while a new sensor is twice as fast.

In videos, the XS family features larger pixels and a faster sensor to enable improved low-light performance and video stabilization. With the four built-in mics, you can also record stereo sound to get the most out of video recordings.

iphone-xs-maps.jpg

The iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max will be available in 64GB, 256GB, and 512GB storage capacities, and in Space Gray, Silver, and Gold. The iPhone XS will start at $999 in 64GB, while the iPhone XS Max will start at $1,099 in 64GB. You'll be able to pre-order the smartphones on Friday, September 14, ahead of launch on Friday, September 21 in more than 30 countries and territories.

Article Link: Apple Announces 'iPhone XS' and 'iPhone XS Max' With Gold Color, Faster Face ID, and More
My biggest and ONLY real gripe- 64gb forthr base model is BS in this day and ago. That base model should have 128gb at the same $999 (if not a $50-100 price drop). This 64gb stuff is bs since most of what this company does now requires space (bigger better video, amazing photos, that’s stuff takes space)

Reactions: HoosBruce

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Lytro is (was) completely different tech than what’s in the current iPhone. Lytro actually collect the light field information in a given photo - not only could you change depth of field, you could actually change the focus of the pic. The problem Lytro ran into was two fold - as result of how it collected light information the overall resolution of photos was fairly low, and two, the tech was extremely expensive, and most photographers were (are) completely fine with choosing their focus subject at the beginning, not the end.

What the iPhone XS is doing is drastically different than light field collection. Your can’t change the focus, just the depth of field, and this is occurring in software, not hardware.

I understand the differences in the technology, but in the end both technologies rely on both software and hardware to produce something that can be manipulated much more than a single exposure from a single lens/sensor. As a photographer I remember being fascinated by the Lytro, but it wasn't something I actually wanted enough to purchase. While my Olympus and Nikon kits aren't capable of such a trick, the end results are higher quality photos using more versatile gear.

I've been using the Focos app on my iPhone X for about a month and it allows me to change the point of focus, the depth of field, and the bokeh shape. It could be that the iPhone Xs has the hardware to pull off this trick better than apps like Focos, but Focos does it quite well and it allows you to edit the mask that determines in focus vs out of focus. I would be surprised if the new feature isn't available in the standard iOS 12 camera/photo app for any dual-camera iPhone. The new models just might do a better job of managing the transitions to make the depth of field appear more natural. The more you blur up the background, the more distracting it is when transitions aren't precise.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
anyone see a real reason for anyone with the X to upgrade? Obviously people on yearly upgrade plans is a no-brainer.

Reactions: Kris28

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Im waiting and I have an iPhone 7.

And 64gb..come on apple. I know they want to force people to buy the bigger memory sizes but come on.

Also, the "this is the most advanced iPhone ever" is stupid. OFF COURSE it is, its the latest one you made isn't it??
That claim is not without some merit.

They have put out a worse iteration of something before.

Remember the Mac Mini '14?

Glassed Silver:mac

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
The new phones are gorgeous devices. However, maybe it is just me, but running an iPhone 7 Plus on iOS 12, battery still at 95%, I am just not excited anymore by new phones. For all intents and purposes, the speed of the A12 is negligible day to day vs the A10, iOS 12 runs flawless with the latest release of Beta, all else is basically the same functionally, so other than giving up Touch ID and gaining Face ID, while is a great feature, doesn't sound very compelling to upgrade. I'll sit this one out again. I think the new Apple Watch is the coolest thing this year.
I've got a 7 running the 12 beta and my battery is burning up all day every day. It used to be great but now it's awful. Wish I had your experience...

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Maybe I'm biased as I'm an electronic engineer but the most interesting things to me are the 7nm A12, the addition of LTE band 71 and the IP68 rating.

Reactions: alexmarchuk

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
A little torn. May not upgrade this year, which is fine. The bigger screen kind of feels like the only reason to upgrade to me and I am not sold on it. Oh well, I'll play with iOS 12 on my X and decide later.

catean

Suspended
Jun 16, 2013
London, UK
Maybe I'm biased as I'm an electronic engineer but the most interesting things to me are the 7nm A12, the addition of LTE band 71 and the IP68 rating.

What about the dual-SIM functionality? This is awesome while roaming, as with the Apple Sim in the iPads.

pete480

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Long Island, NY
Face ID is great. Works quickly 99% of the time.

I never have a problem with Face ID. I think the people who do, don't set it up properly.
anyone see a real reason for anyone with the X to upgrade? Obviously people on yearly upgrade plans is a no-brainer.

I have the X and I'm doing it for the larger screen. I had the 6+ for almost 4 years...I miss the bigger screen.

Reactions: ErikGrim

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
It’s a good deal more powerful though, so without the 7nm fabrication battery life would have most likely decreased.
True, but there’s always a balance between power and battery life. I would have rather them sucked out more than 30 minutes of battery life and kept the power the same. This, however, never happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.