Apple Announces New Fifth-Generation iPad Mini With Apple Pencil Support, Revamped Retina Display and A12 Bionic Chip

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 18, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today launched a new fifth-generation iPad mini, featuring an upgraded A12 Bionic processor, first-generation Apple Pencil support, a new advanced Retina display panel, and the same $399 price tag as the previous model.

[​IMG]

Apple says that with the new A12 Bionic chip, the iPad mini now delivers three times the performance and nine times faster graphics. Meanwhile the advanced Retina display with True Tone technology and wide color support is 25 percent brighter and has the highest pixel density (3 million) of any iPad.

Elsewhere, an 8-megapixel rear camera brings improved low-light performance and HD video recording, while the front facing camera has been bumped up to 7 megapixels for better-quality selfies and FaceTime HD.

The new iPad also benefits from the same Wi-Fi performance and Gigabit-class LTE that's built into the latest iPad Pro models, and retains the headphone jack found in previous iPad mini models.
    Available in Silver, Space Gray, and Gold, and in 64 and 256GB storage capacities, the new iPad mini starts at $399 for the Wi-Fi model and $529 for the Wi-Fi + Cellular model. An Apple Pencil (1st generation) is available for purchase separately for $99. Online orders for the new iPad mini begin today on the Apple website, with availability in Apple stores and select resellers starting next week.

The iPad mini 4 has been discontinued.

Article Link: Apple Announces New Fifth-Generation iPad Mini With Apple Pencil Support, Revamped Retina Display and A12 Bionic Chip

2. balaplus macrumors 6502

3. MacFather, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019

MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

This thing has thicker top and bottom bezels than the original iPad mini from 2012. It's a damn shame.

iPad mini.png

4. 19SK91, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019

19SK91 macrumors regular

The off-center Home Button looks not very Apple-like. Can't unsee it.

Edit: some people pointed out that previous iPads had a misaligned Home Button as well. Doesn't make it better(-looking) though.

5. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Rather expensive for the size. At least I think so.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Awesome they revived the mini . And they listened and added Apple Pencil support as well.

7. Wig321 macrumors member

8. cmaier macrumors G5

Mini costs too much. Base memory is too low to be a practical option even for my wife who is by no means a power user and has been hanging onto her mini forever.

9. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

10. jtmarine73 macrumors member

Almost tempting.... if it were $100 cheaper. But this proves just how overpriced the previous model has been for the past 2 years.

11. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

A12 and same price tag? Well, it's rare for Apple to be this generous...

12. 4jasontv macrumors 68000

This is what happens when they don’t have enough time to refresh a model.

13. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Yeah, that's... off-putting

14. gnomeisland macrumors 6502a

If I hadn’t already bought a new iPad Pro I’d prob snap one of these up. Hoped for something be bezelless or cheaper but this update still looks great. I’m sure that screen is amazing.

15. Keniutek macrumors 6502

Keniutek

16. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

Check out that chunka bezels.. is this a retro 90's concept?

17. calisurfboy macrumors regular

calisurfboy

Just showed up on the military discount page. iPad mini at $359 and iPad Air at $449. Been waiting for ages for the iPad mini to go on sale since I use it extensive for work via military & nursing.
    Its both exciting that the Mac mini and iPad mini were updated yet sad that it took this long and that Tim Cook neglects users so much.

18. hmark8 macrumors regular

Yeah crazy that they would increase the screen and power and all the other upgrades but not increase the price. Thank goodness.

19. Paultmaine macrumors member

Paultmaine

Disappointed not to see charging pad and new EarPods

20. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

The executive summary is, "The A12 Bionic chip with Neural Engine, Retina display with True Tone, support for Apple Pencil."

For bezel whiners, this still has the home button thus the camera in the traditional configuration.

Some day they will update it with iPhoneXR features, but expect a price increase too.

21. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Really happy for the mini but it's quite expensive, so is the new Air

22. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

My response: a "reserved"... Nice! I'll need to wait and see some of the details, but so far sounds exactly like what many of us were hoping for. Price doesn't bother me since I never pay full retail.

23. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

24. Ballis macrumors 6502a

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's the apple way these days it seems¯\_(ツ)_/¯