Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisa107

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2005
Pretty sure the file could be on Apple's servers already... someone type random numbers into the Safari 4 download link and see if you can get Safari 5's link. :p

Don't think that will happen - the Safari 4 download link is a freaking nightmare.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
My guess is last minute bug discovered, possibly security related.

Very pleased to see extensions in there after the latest rumours suggested that wasn't the case.

And I'd just second the earlier comments, I try all of them, but Safari is still my favourite.

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
Now i can finally switch from RAM heavy firefox to safari. it was really the only thing holding me back.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you'll be switching from RAM heavy firefox to equally RAM heavy safari.

Browsing the modern web just seems to eat up a lot of RAM.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
http://www.sweetpproductions.com/safariadblocker/

+

http://toolbar.google.com/gmail-helper/notifier_mac.html

I use Chrome on the PC, but safari 4 on the mac. I can't get over how un-mac chrome is on the mac.

The problem with these are they're not fully integrated with the browser. Plus there isn't a single site you can go to where you can find all of these add ons and extensions for Safari. In that regard, despite of how "un-chrome" Chrome is on the mac, it's still better than Safari because of how there is a go-to site with add ons and extensions. Same with Firefox. You just don't have to deal with finding addons on some weird websites and then uninstalling through some weird methods. It's just much easier to do that in Chrome/Firefox which is why I don't use Safari.

But this new news is welcome. I know Apple will most likely fix all of these problems just like how google and mozilla did. I just find all these unofficial extensions sketchy at best.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Any coinciding between Safari updates and updates to Safari in iPhone OS? I'm curious if Safari in iOS 4 stands to gain any speed.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
:D Three precent faster than Chrome...

Sorry that just makes me laugh that they even mention it...

It's funny because even though Google use Webkit they do their own V8 Javascript engine, which they like to think shows off their engineering prowess. Except every time Google release a faster version of the V8, Apple trumps the performance with their Nitro engine.

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
I just got this from push notifications posted by MacDailyNews.. I knew MR would not be too far behind. Just tried to do the update, but still unavailable. Cannot wait!

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
So will this support my Safari 4 extensions like Glims??

Maybe, maybe not. If it does break Glims you can be sure that the developer will have an update out soon as the new Safari will support it even better. No haxies required.

If Safari 5 has an option to put the tabs up top like the first beta of Safari 4 I will definitely move to Safari from Opera. I doubt this will happen though. I'm willing to give it a try though and if I find it launches significantly faster than Opera and I find the reader useful I'll switch.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Hmm,

Good news, but yeah i can't find it for download on apple yet.. its still Safari 4.. maybe end of the day??

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you'll be switching from RAM heavy firefox to equally RAM heavy safari.

Browsing the modern web just seems to eat up a lot of RAM.

Does it really matter?

2Gb ram - no problem
4Gb ram - no problem
6Gb ram - no problem

I'm missing where RAM is an issue in todays world?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
ah, it's coming

Apple's holding a Safari State of the Union to devs at wwdc, so it must be released then.

arn

thatoneguy159

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Oh how long? It just started now. Session will last like.. an hour and 30 minutes max. During this frame, Safari 5 will pop up.

FinderUser213

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2009
Redmond
It's funny because even though Google use Webkit they do their own V8 Javascript engine, which they like to think shows off their engineering prowess. Except every time Google release a faster version of the V8, Apple trumps the performance with their Nitro engine.

And then Opera trumps all of them with Carakan. Seriosuly, its vastly faster than Nitro or V8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.