Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Arcade is set to launch this fall, providing iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV users with access to a library of over 100 games on a subscription basis, with no ads or additional in-app purchases.

apple-arcade-devices.jpg

Last week, 9to5Mac's Guilherme Rambo managed to gain access to an internal early access program for Apple Arcade intended for Apple employees. This has led to many details about the service leaking out, including its likely price of $4.99 per month with a one-month free trial in the United States.

Now, 9to5Mac's Jeff Benjamin has shared a video in which he goes hands-on with six games coming to Apple Arcade, including Way of the Turtle, Down in Bermuda, Hot Lava, Kings of the Castle, Sneaky Sasquatch, and Frogger in Toy Town. Note that these are pre-release beta versions of the games.

More details and screenshots of each game can be found over at 9to5Mac. For more on Apple Arcade, read our guide.

Article Link: Apple Arcade Games Leaked in Hands-On Video Ahead of Fall Launch

TacoChowder

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2019
the games look and are boring, this is worse than free games on the App Store
These have no ads or IAP. And they're still in development. Unless you mean art style, which is a creative choice and a personal opinion, so to each their own.

Also these are going to be on all apple devices. So they're running on a MBP to an XR. If saves carry over automatically, that's a slam dunk in my book.

These are mostly indie titles, not AAA. You're not going to get Uncharted budgets for these games. I've been looking forward to Where the Cards Fall for ages, excited that it got funding from Apple, I love the studio. It's $5 a month for a constant growing library. I really want to know what people who are disappointed were expecting

zunamo

macrumors member
May 4, 2015
Apple is probably very busy now putting a video together to make those games look much more amazing than they actually are.

Also Arcade and Games is not confusing???

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
So many people making opinions without even trying it
im going from what im seeing
[doublepost=1566323244][/doublepost]
These have no ads or IAP. And they're still in development. Unless you mean art style, which is a creative choice and a personal opinion, so to each their own.

Also these are going to be on all apple devices. So they're running on a MBP to an XR
my £4000 MacBook Pro should be getting pro AAA title games not these games from 10 years ago graphics, sorry not impressed, it apple wants to start making games worth it, we have an iPad Pro with 1 game that uses the GPU power NBA, no apple developers are using apples power, not even asphalt etc

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
the games look and are boring, this is worse than free games on the App Store
I'm pretty sure someone will find this entertaining. This is just part of their launch and will most likely come up with more firepower in the future. It looks promising to me, I'd sign up for the trial but probably won't go further than that until more games are released.

Clocknova

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2007
I'm pretty sure someone will find this entertaining. This is just part of their launch and will most likely come up with more firepower in the future. It looks promising to me, I'd sign up for the trial but probably won't go further than that until more games are released.

Someone needs to school them on the concept of "launch titles." These are absolutely not good choices.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I really think these games are for teenagers like target...probably for 7 to 16 years old? but those teenagers will not buy a mac

Reactions: Never mind

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Apple is probably very busy now putting a video together to make those games look much more amazing than they actually are.

Also Arcade and Games is not confusing???

then again what did you expect for 4.99 a month? If a dev with a really great game wants to make money then arcade isn’t the place to be. Expect the games to be low quality.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

TacoChowder

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2019
im going from what im seeing
[doublepost=1566323244][/doublepost]
my £4000 MacBook Pro should be getting pro AAA title games not these games from 10 years ago graphics, sorry not impressed, it apple wants to start making games worth it, we have an iPad Pro with 1 game that uses the GPU power NBA, no apple developers are using apples power, not even asphalt etc
These are indie, not AAA. And they're for all devices. Dota2 runs great on my five year old machine, sure, but they're targeting the indie market with these.
Were you expecting a GameFly like system of a ton of high budget games for cheap? You do realize this is an internal test we're seeing, not an official preview. There's bigger games on their way, though nothing to the caliber of a PS or MS owned studio.
And, again, these are going to run on all apple devices. Maybe they could do device based texture scaling. But if you're only experience with games are AAA, the indie world might shock you. This is huge for my friends who make games. This is huge for five person studios.
All of the games in the preview aren't even finished, too.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
Good to see those Apple CPU’s exploiting that “more powerful than a desktop CPU” power!

Reactions: NMBob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.