Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of three new games this morning, Apple's $4.99 per month Apple Arcade service now offers more than 200 games for iPhone, iPad, and Mac users to play.

apple-arcade-orange-feature.jpg

The milestone was first highlighted by CNET, and it comes alongside the launch of Super Leap Day, Super Stickman Golf 3+, and Monster Hunter Stories+, all of which can be downloaded and played starting today.

Apple Arcade first launched in September 2019, so it has taken just under two years for Apple to provide customers with 200 titles to choose from.

With Apple Arcade, all of the games are free and there are no in-app purchase options or ads. The service is priced at $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year, and with that subscription price, all members of the family can access games. Apple also offers a one-month free trial for anyone, a three-month free trial for those who purchase an Apple device, and there are also often promotions for longer trial periods.

Apple has been working with both indie developers and big name gaming companies on Apple Arcade titles since it launched, and in April of this year, Apple began re-releasing classic titles like Fruit Ninja, Monument Valley, Mini Metro, Threes, and more.

Apple Arcade titles can be played on iPhones, iPads, Macs, and Apple TVs, and many games are designed to support controllers, with support available for PlayStation and Xbox controllers. The service is available in more than 150 countries.

New titles are added to Apple Arcade on a regular basis, and in the near future, the service will be gaining "MasterChef: Let's Cook," "Layton's Mystery Journey+," "Asphalt Airborne 8+," "Baldo The Guardian Owls," "Tetris Beat," and "Wurdweb."

Article Link: Apple Arcade Surpasses 200 Games

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
SSG3 is probably my favorite mobile game ever. So I'm glad to see them update it slightly and add it to Arcade. However bummed I have to start all over collecting hats/golfers/powerups etc...

icwhatudidthere

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2019
When I built my first worldwide software arcade, I had over 300 games in my first month, and over 90% of them were huge AAA titles. Ever since then, nothing anyone else does has ever been good enough for me
Personally I won't be satisfied until Apple buys Steam and ports all the AAA games to Mac, iPhone, iPad and Apple TV and it shouldn't cost more than $5 a month.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
For the sake of argument, let's assume Apple paid the App Devs $2M USD for each Game, so 200 x $2M USD = $400M USD.

So naturally, Apple wants that amount back (in Revenue), & then some !

There-in lies one of the major problems with the Today tab of Apple's App Store App.

Supposed to be the place where Apple recommends & promotes the Best Apps to iPhone & iPad owners, but NOT anymore (if it ever actually was).

It it wasn't before, It's now fully under Marketing's control !

Apple really needs a "Today tab filter" !

A settings filter that enables Users to Filter Off Game Apps & Apple Arcade Apps.

If they were to do that, Adults who abandoned the App Store (of which there are many), might actually come back !

Hard to understand why it's so hard for Apple to do the right thing (when it comes to their "curated" App Store) !

macar00n

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2021
Personally I won't be satisfied until Apple buys Steam and ports all the AAA games to Mac, iPhone, iPad and Apple TV and it shouldn't cost more than $5 a month.
I can buy 10 games at a yard sale for $5 that I get to keep forever so I do not agree with the pricing but agree with everything else you said. I'm going to email Tim about it directly

soyazul

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2015
Argentina
Beside the games, there is a filed where this service need to improve. I don't have a console, so I don't have PS o XB controllers... Instead if that, I have two PC controllers that I would love to use in Apple Arcade to play with my girlfriend. And actually that is not possible... Conclusion I don't use de service...

Reactions: smoking monkey

Mantahoe

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2014
New York, NY
Congrats to them... Wish I could love this thing though. I'm running a trial which I'll cancel because it's not worth paying monthly for this. Most games are really childish (just my opinion..)

So far the only games I've played through the AppleTV+Controller that are console worthy, which makes it promising are Playdead's INSIDE & Rush Rally 3.

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Beside the games, there is a filed where this service need to improve. I don't have a console, so I don't have PS o XB controllers... Instead if that, I have two PC controllers that I would love to use in Apple Arcade to play with my girlfriend. And actually that is not possible... Conclusion I don't use de service...
If your controllers have bluetooth, they work on iOS14, iPadOS14…

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
You seem to assume that Apple Arcade games only work with console controllers. Not true. The controller ($35 on Amazon) I use with Apple Arcade works with PC and other platforms except for Xbox and PS.

theredsoxman

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
My take on this...

I would love a service that lets me play every game I've ever just thrown into an emulator. Think Apple Music, but for gaming. Would it be a billion dollars to license? Yes. Does Apple have that money? Yes.

Second, I will say that Apple TV+ is slooooowly starting to win me over. They have a few very watchable shows and some must-watch. I can say nothing like that about Apple Arcade. If they can develop newer titles (something like Hades comes to mind) and make them Apple Arcade exclusive, maybe they can get some traction in this space.

Otherwise, outside of doing something crazy like buying Nintendo, you're wasting our time.

suns93

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2017
Why isn’t Arcade a stand-alone app outside of the App Store? Did we learn the lesson from the bloating of iTunes?

We’ve had Arcade with Apple One premier since last fall and am shocked at how little our kids have used it on their iPads. It’s just too buried. Needs a stand-alone app with notifications of when new games arrive. Heck, I’d even go for a feature that allowed for automatic parental approval on all Arcade games.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011

in all seriousness, a single Apple triple A studio, whether bought in or built up internally, would act as an amazing tent pole for the platform.
A stream of Apple exclusive games that compete with the best on PC or Xbox/PS4 would really fill a gap.

Darth-Kylie

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2009
It’s a pity the forthcoming Super Monkey Ball remake hasn’t been announced for iPhone, iPad and (especially) Apple TV. The now quite old iOS versions were pretty decent for their time but a modern update with controller support would be very welcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.