Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
4S did away with that antenna issue and still looks "pretty", so that defeats your iPhone analogy. Apple isn't a fool because they haven't made any right or wrong decision. It was a choice, a choice that was skewered thanks to the pressure of the press and the San Francisco's government's silly requirements. This is not an FCC regulation. It's simply an environmental certification which is totally optional and not obligatory.

I supported them not to side with EPEAT because I appreciate the direction that they are headed with their design team. And if they already qualify for Energy Star 5.0, then by all means, sidestep EPEAT and make the best looking and most functional products they can in the future.

But using your line of thought, Apple should have just stuck with "you're holding it wrong." Not to mention NOT provide free bumpers or cases to people. Or redesign the antenna. Because all of those things would be considered changing their original decision.

They clearly made a mistake. And rather than ignoring outside pressure or facts, they chose to tacitly admit it and fix it.

So that defeats nothing. It reinforces the fact that reasonable people and reasonable companies will change their decisions when faced with the obvious error of their decision. Especially when it ends up better for them.

Perhaps you should read up on who else requires EPEAT certification. It is hardly just the city of San Francisco.

You are essentially advocating a policy of cutting your nose off just to spite your face. Think about it.

And finally, I don't know what design direction you are talking about other than stripping functionality and moving towards semi-disposable products. So, what, thinness? Because the Retina Macbook Pro, other than thinness and lack of ports and superdrive, pretty much looks like every Apple Pro laptop for the past, oh, 10 years. But that is another topic...

----------

Who decided iFixit is the authority on such things? And how many average joes need to be able to take apart their laptops and tinker with them. How many as compared to those who want thinner and lighter designs? Apple's customer base is not iFixit or hobbyist geeks.

This comment is so sad. I get it, but it makes me sad.

AppleFan1984

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2010
It's possible that this was Apple using their weight to change the standards.
Yep, because nothing says "standard" like bowing to the wishes of a corporate giant.

----------

Yeah, you know what, I'm sorry, but Apple has had four color schemes during its lifetime; Rainbow, Gray-Glass, Black and White. None of these has, or ever will, include Green.

vintage_98_imac_green_all-in-one_desktop_computer_65_central_7996579.jpg

Sixtafoua

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2009
Boston, MA
Hey look, more ******** from an executive!!
They're not making any kind of commitment here, it says that all eligible products will remain on the list. Given where apple is going, you can't tell me that in 2 years any of apple's products will be eligible.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sadly, I have to agree. 21 points and the Mac Mini only gets 18. That is sad. They should at least have it rated worse or not better than a computer on which I can put in and/or replace a SSD or HD or optical drive, RAM, etc.

Edit: Well, maybe they created a new standard (humor me here):

Gluebook:
-Less use of these unneeded screws
-Less of that temptation for customers to fiddle with their device
-less parts (Battery, trackpad, trackpad cable, housing counting as one, display assembly incl. back shell as another one)

No one is forcing you to purchase a rMPB. Buy a different MB or leave Apple and buy something else. Totally your choice. But my guess is the number of people who want to get inside their machine is tiny compared to those who don't care or need to.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
You put your MacBook in
You take your MacBook out
In out in out
Shake it all about
You do the Hokey Cokey and you turn around
That's what it's all about

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I think this was an intentional campaign by Apple to promote their products.
1) EPEAT standards are outdated
2) Apple is the most environmentally conscious tech/consumer goods company
3) older criteria make Apple look typical, or even slightly worse

By making a big deal out of this, Apple got free PR to focus on how good they are environmentally, and are forcing updates to EPEAT criteria.

Well played Apple, well played!

I think this is a ridiculous notion. Sorry. Apple doesn't need the publicity. At all. And they certainly didn't need the negative publicity - from pulling their products to an executive response for their mistake.

No. This wasn't a "play." No matter how you'd like to make it into one.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This comment is so sad. I get it, but it makes me sad.
Apple is doing what the majority of their customers want. And the majority of their customers don't have a need to get inside their machines. I don't get what's sad about that. I like the fact I can buy a product and don't have to think about it until I need to upgrade to a new one. And I'm guessing a lot of other people do too. iFixit needs to get with the times rather than being pissed at Apple for giving most consumers what they want.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Companies make mistakes...

it's not really that major a deal in the end. Apple's newer computers aren't all EPEAT certified and I suspect that that will continue that way. I give it 3 years tops before there are no Apple products that meet EPEAT standards if they stay as they are today. And you won't see Apple changing their designs to stay on that list.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I was very disappointed to hear that Apple just yanked support rather than try to use their weight to change the standards to something that made more sense not just for Apple but for the rest of the industry.

Pulling their stuff off the lists may have been their attempt to kick some sense into EPEAT. Basically saying that they don't want some pointless half ass sticker on their stuff if it is based on petty things like the type of screws someone uses. Not when there are real concerns that could be used to rate products

----------

It includes the rMBP now? :confused:

Nope. And if they ever decide to rate smart phones and tablets the iOS line up is screwed as well.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
I thought it was a strange decision to remove everything from the list

Strange yes, but Apple executives or on a bipolar high so they probably think or thought they could do what ever and everyone not a fangirl would follow blindly. Not so. :eek:

----------

Pulling their stuff off the lists may have been their attempt to kick some sense into EPEAT. Basically saying that they don't want some pointless half ass sticker on their stuff if it is based on petty things like the type of screws someone uses. Not when there are real concerns that could be used to rate products

----------

Nope. And if they ever decide to rate smart phones and tablets the iOS line up is screwed as well.

How is rules for best practice environment friend not making sense, maybe you can enlighten the rest of us no fanatics. The rules are there for a reason, Apple does not have to follow if they don't want, but stock holder are not all fan children who follow blindly. Some of us see Apple Co. as a Company with good products and nothing else.

I like Apple products but making a product that is not serviceable is not a good thing for anyone even those who blindly follow. :rolleyes:

pezj

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
I think apple did the right thing. Kinda surprised they didn't anticipate the result?

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
I think this is a ridiculous notion. Sorry. Apple doesn't need the publicity. At all. And they certainly didn't need the negative publicity - from pulling their products to an executive response for their mistake.

No. This wasn't a "play." No matter how you'd like to make it into one.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I think this was all a ploy to get EPEAT to look at its criteria and to change some out-dated stuff. Taking the toys and going home is sometimes needed to get your friends to go along with your overall benefit. It so looks like a tactic to me and that's all.

MuppetGate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
MacBook Retina fails to qualify for EPEAT.
Apple pulls out of EPEAT
Apple returns to EPEAT
The same MacBook Retina is now EPEAT Gold Standard?

Well, I'm not even going to try to guess what went on here, but if Apple hadn't taken a PR hit then the whole EPEAT scheme would've started to look a little suspect.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I love how people are all Oliver Stone about this.

There's no conspiracy.

No one won. Or lost.

But that won't stop a lot of the posters here trying to rationalize one anyway. Pure comedy gold.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I think this was all a ploy to get EPEAT to look at its criteria and to change some out-dated stuff. Taking the toys and going home is sometimes needed to get your friends to go along with your overall benefit. It so looks like a tactic to me and that's all.
I agree.

20 years ago there was a hit musical playing in London (Miss Saigon). When the producers decided to move the primary cast to a new Broadway production, they were met with resistance from a group of Asian actors who objected to one of the lead characters (a Eurasian) being played by a European actor.

The producers decided not to bring the show to Broadway at all. Since the show had many smaller and chorus roles for Asian characters, these jobs just wouldn't come to New York. The Asian actors group relented, and the show went on Broadway for a successful run.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007

Agreed.

The tough part is you need to make it look like a mistake/faux pas before anyone will give you the free PR. In this case, I think most people didn't care that Apple pulled out from EPEAT, but do care about Apple being green. Notice that it wasn't Tim Cook that took the mea culpa. :)

Now to pressure EPEAT into modern criteria so Apple's competition looks worse!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I agree.

20 years ago there was a hit musical playing in London (Miss Saigon). When the producers decided to move the primary cast to a new Broadway production, they were met with resistance from a group of Asian actors who objected to one of the lead characters (a Eurasian) being played by a European actor.

The producers decided not to bring the show to Broadway at all. Since the show had many smaller and chorus roles for Asian characters, these jobs just wouldn't come to New York. The Asian actors group relented, and the show went on Broadway for a successful run.

not exactly how it happened. but way to adjust the story to try and make an analogy.

And before you refute it - I know a lot of the intimate details of the Miss Saigon production.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.