Apple Begins Refunding Lion Overcharges

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 30, 2011.

1. charlituna, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

The banks require confirmation from the companies that you didn't make the purchase, you returned it, or there was some other error. And given that most companies process transactions at the end of the night rather than on the spot (which is how the banks like it) they won't receive the info until the overnight and then it has to go through their system etc.

You assume that everyone that was affected bought on day one. It's possible they did not. And you assume that this email was the first time one of these went out. It is possible that it was not. It could be that they have been doing this for days but folks just weren't tipping it to the blog sites because they weren't all freaking out over it.

No it was an unfounded rumor that was never proven as being real. The blogs picked it up because they knew it would get them hits. Whether it was true or not didn't matter

So you reload it from your backup.

Oh wait, you never backed it up. How is that Apple's fault? How are they responsible for you and your wife being dumb. It's not.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

If you use credit cards correctly those problems are never an issue. Correctly is pay your balance off in full every month. Problem is to many people use credit cards to buy things they cannot afford so they dig themselves into a huge whole.

3. nerdo macrumors regular

hahah.. dude like you must totally be a pot smoker, this is like saying "I only crashed into your car because you are driving here, I have never seen you drive here before so it is your fault for driving here and making me crash into you"

far out!

4. nrodriguez55, Jul 31, 2011

nrodriguez55 macrumors newbie

See??!?

You see, Apple?
    You run the risk of this kind of crap happening when you decide to go strictly digital in your software distribution.

You should have just put out a disk and everything would have been peachy-keen and you wouldn't have to mass email people about overcharging their accounts when you have glitches in your system.

I am still leery about purchasing Lion from the app store and am in hopes that you will decide to put it on disc.

If you do, GREAT!! If you don't, whatever...
    :mad:

5. Illumination macrumors regular

You can always go the thumb drive route next month, I'd rather pay $69 than $4000 myself. And I agree with your post - this is the problem with sole digital media.

6. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

that makes no sense.

7. gnasher729, Jul 31, 2011

gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Apple actually doesn't require any credit or debit card or similar. If you already have an iTunes account, you can just remove the credit or debit card number. If you don't have an iTunes account, start iTunes, go to the App store, choose any application that is free and try to buy it. At that point you will have to open an iTunes account, but since the app was free, it doesn't require anything that allows Apple to charge you.

From then on, you just buy gift gards (iTunes or App Store gift cards, both are interchangeable). That also has the advantage that you will sometimes find offers where you can buy iTunes gift cards below face value.

Removing your post in this situation makes very much sense, because otherwise a dozen people will complain that you pointed out a grammatical error where none exists.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Snob?

9. Willie5566 macrumors regular

What? Are you for real? How many MILLIONS of downloads have occurred on iTunes and in the App Store? The same issue could occur when you are downloading an album. So I guess this is the end of the digital age?

10. Vanan Navarasan macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I realized I have been charged for lion even-though I qualify for a free upgrade. I bought The iMac in June. Going to call apple to refund me. Anyone in the similar situation?

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I got a $100 card when I had a similar issue a couple of years ago (overcharged by $850).

12. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

OK, so here's the irony. I have a developer account, and consequently had the GM loaded on my computers. I can't get Apple to charge me for the public release. I went as far as deleting the install file, and trying to download it again. It finally let me download, but it won't charge me!

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

After reading through this thread, it's apparent that some do not understand the true difference between a credit vs debit card. If one wants to keep their financial house in order, invest some time & learn the best use of each. Read & understand the Pro's & Cons. You'll be glad you did.

14. Bolo4u macrumors member

I posted this in the original Charged 122 times thread...

I used my free up-to-date promo code to download Lion, and was asked to confirm my billing for iTunes??? So I did, then got stuck in a loop of having to continue entering promo code, then confirm billing. I finally gave up, and still didn't see Lion had been downloaded. Well, I had been charged 7 times for Lion ???? WTF? I immediately contacted PayPal and they sent a note to APple. While in the phone with one of the PayPal reps, the refunds started appearing. ALl 7 were eventually refunded. However, PayPal still sent the charges to my bank, and the account I link to I only keep a limited amount of funds in so I was still charged 7 times for the "purchase" and then 7 Overdraft fees??? WTF AGAIN???

I conference called the bank and PayPal and may bank has agreed to reverse the charges to once the PayPal refund is processed... Still waiting. This was all on the 20th of July. Fast forward a few days.

July 22, I find Lion is sitting in my Purchased folder on the App Store. I click the Install link and it installs. Then later int eh evening, I see I have AGAIN been charged for this free promo "purchase", and get dinged at the bank for another overdraft fee!!?? Once again WTF IS GOING ON??? I contact PayPal, they escalate my issue to a claim, and forward to Apple. A few days go by, still nothing. I call Apple Speak to a very nice rep in CR, and explain everything, and he says he can see the history, and is very apologetic. He says it should be resolved soon and offers to send me a t-shirt and a few things as a gesture of good-will.. Ok I wear an XL...

Then last night, I decide to download a FREE game to pass some time. Only to find out my iTunes account has been DISABLED??? WTF???? I fired off an email to the CR rep, who had sent me a Thanks for buying Apple e-mail, and have not heard anything from anyone.

My original 7 purchases have still not been returned to my Bank, I have another "purchase" of Lion (I only have one Mac computer I purchased in June), my bank is still in arrears, I can't even get a free game from the App Store because my iTunes account is disabled... And I don't have an XL Apple t-shirt or mug yet... Beginning to taste that sour part of the Apple!:roll eyes:

So, How is your day so far?

And I posted a follow-up on page two of this thread. Bottom line I STILL do not have my refunds back in my account. But I do have a to-small t-shirt, and a pen that came without an ink cartridge, along with a couple of other :apple: branded items.

15. phipp macrumors newbie

First off I am not trying to offend anyone or am I taking sides with Apple or Paypal or any bank, but as I have sit back and read thread after thread on this subject I must add my 2 cents.

1) Anyone who ties a checking or savings account to a service like Paypal is only asking for empty accounts.

2) Anyone who ties your Debit card to a service like Paypal is only asking for Empty accounts.

3) anyone that uses a credit card to buy anything on the internet is only asking for maxed out credit cards.

I personally have been a victim of the joys of buying things on the internet. So my question to all the people who have had their accounts emptied and their credit cards maxed out from the issue...

1) Have you ever heard of ITunes prepaid cards?

2) Have you ever heard of PrePaid Visa or American Express cards?

Solution to the problem and prevention for future problems... March yourself to any store that sells the Prepaid items above and put only what you need to buy the item, that way when something go wrong all you lose is what ever you have on the prepaid card.

The joys of a prepaid card are these... Sleep well the night you buy the item, enjoy the item you just bought, make your mortgage the day it is due. After all one has to remember that it was a human that wrote the software that charged you for the item you bought. The old saying we are only human applies here.

Like I said in the beginning I am not trying to start a world war, upset anyone, but one has to ask "What where you thinking giving out something so personal as you bank about number"?

I own 2 Macs and I also on release day of Lion gave Apple my 29.95 for Lion and watched Apple try to charge me for more then what I got, but I only paid 29.95 for my software.

16. kvnkvnkvn macrumors member

Have you ever heard of fees to buy the prepaid Visa or Amex

Have you ever heard of fees to add or reload a prepaid Visa or Amex each time you do it

Where does the funds to reload the prepaid Visa or Amex come from
    1 you do it in a store with cash (wasting time, also gas, bus/train fare or energy by walking)

2 you do it online with a creditcard, debitcard, savings or checking account

option 2 puts you back at the beginning because you are tying an account to the prepaid card.

17. cozmot Guest

Thank you, Judge Judy.

18. cozmot Guest

Really, is that what those of us who don't choose your complicated lifestyle are "asking for"? Who beamed you this information?

19. subterFUSE macrumors newbie

Some banks offer their own protection or guarantee with their debit cards. This is certainly a good thing, and I am not arguing that it isn't. But credit cards actually have a federal law protecting customers from fraudulent charges. This is a major difference. I prefer not to trust that the bank will play nice and fair, or work as quickly as they did in your case. For me, a debit card presents a serious risk which can be avoided. If a credit card is charged, it's the bank's money that's taken. Not mine. I will therefore have more time to catch the infraction and react to it, and the bank will also have a stake in correcting the issue since their money is involved.

20. phipp macrumors newbie

Stop and think about what you are saying... I would rather pay the reload fees.

Back in 2009 I had my debit card number stolen from a sale on Amazon the total take from my checking account wa over 10,000 dollars. After my bank refunded then money back. The point is...

Overdraft fees
    Stress
    Calling creditors to explain why they are not getting their payment on time.
    late pays on credit report
    lost of money ( Not everything was refunded)
    Total time to clear up 4 months.

What is the lesson, the lesson is reload fees are still cheaper. Sometimes in this world you have to spend a little money to protect your money.

21. phipp macrumors newbie

One more thing I miss part of you post. Every WaMart, Walreens and food store has PrePaid cards.

100.00 Card plus reload fee of 3.00 is still cheaper then loosing all your money out of your account and all the STRESS.

22. Willie5566 macrumors regular

You forgot about storing your cash in a mattress.

23. xcsnine macrumors newbie

This situation happened to me -- not for thousands of dollars but for $210. Apple refunded the original $29.99 for Lion and my money was in limbo @ PayPal. Once my money showed up in my PayPal account I simply transferred it back to my bank account. I no longer have my bank account linked to my PayPal and opted to use a debit card on iTunes from here on out. Apple apologized for the issue and is sending me a large box of swag (shirts, mugs, etc.). In the end, I got all of my money back and some cool new gear.

24. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

my credit score went down 250 points and all I got was this crappy tshirt

25. slinky199 macrumors regular

So you're advocating paying more because others' broken systems? Your attitude will fuel only more broken systems.