Apple Begins Refunding Lion Overcharges

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 30, 2011.

1. skier777 macrumors 6502

Paying your mortgage a few days late and coughing up the late charge probably wouldn't damage your credit rating to the point of any problems.

2. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

like in office space:D

3. Mr Faineant macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

I really don't understand how so many people feel entitled to free stuff because a mistake happened. A free Mac, are you kidding me? What a pathetic thing to think. A mistake was made and corrected, it's life, it happens. Every time you make a mistake do you just start handing out money? If you do, which you don't, stop, it is unnecessary.

4. snebes macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You certainly mean superman 3

5. cmaier macrumors G3

Even Office Space admitted that :)

6. frunkis54, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

oh yeah i forgot office space took it from superman 3 thanks

7. paepcke, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

paepcke macrumors member

That is the same that happend to me twice in a row with the same account. I asked support for refund and they told me it's my fault, they do the refund but I should be more careful in the future what I buy - HELLO! Thank you Apple for let me pay twice for the Lion and Server App and telling me I'm stupid.

Very annoying. Same for BBC iplayer int. renewal inApp. Payed 50 EUR for one Year but this does not showed up within the App. No answer from support.

Something is wrong actually. Hope this is only temporary.

8. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

While I do believe we've become too litigious as a society, I don't agree with you here. This guy was out more than a week $4000 due to a problem that was no fault of his own, when he trusted Apple that they had their sh** together in the App store. That's a lot of money to a working person. It can mean the difference between paying the bills or not. They owe him some serious butt kissing.

A new Mac would be small potatoes compared to what they put him through.

9. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

Yeah that really sucks. Happen to me once at another place and the banks are so slow to correct it. I don't think he deserves a Mac for his trouble but a nice $100 gift card along with his refunded money should do.

10. brian82788 macrumors member

My post was removed for correcting a grammatical error. Macrumors changed the article to reflect the change I suggested, and then removed my post. Is this due to the irrelevance of the post after the change being made or does Macrumors not want people to know they made a little mistake, just like we all do every day?

11. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

What do you mean? It is either JPEG v6.0 or disabled font rendering for small fonts. PNG is the better format for such screenshots.

12. res1233, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

This just in: It doesn't have to be the fault of a single party. From what I understand, PayPal is partially at fault for the multiple charges, while at the same time, the damage could have been mitigated if the guy had used a credit card rather than a debit card. So... This is the fault of both PayPay and the man who used his debit.

With that said, if Apple chose to give the man anything extra, in addition to what Apple owed him, that would be out of the goodness of their hearts, as in, they have no obligation to hand out freebees for a billing error. Give the money back, repair any damage done, the end.

13. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

For fun, let's assume worst case scenario...

Let's say that all of his bills were due and are all set up to be paid automatically.

We knew his mortgage was due and he didn't have enough to cover it.

Mortgage bank attempts to take it, fails, and for a while, leaves his bank account overdrawn. $40 fee for missing mortgage payment/ bounced check, $40 overdrawn fee from his bank.

While he's overdrawn, car payment, car insurance, home owners insurance, cell phone, utilities, student loan, and everything else all try to collect, fail, and issue their fees.

His account is now overdrawn for a few days while everything is sorted out. Shame he can't buy food for his family, gas for his car, or even refill his sickly mother's medications.

Yes, this is an extreme example, but could very easily be the case... especially since he's still without his money over a week later.

If anything hit his bank account during that time and put him negative, the fees alone could easily top $100.

14. gwangung macrumors 65816

Actually, the world would be better without companies that screw customers and deny services that are legally paid for (and often require legal action to get that service)(medical insurance companies, I'm looking at you).

Guy needs to be made whole---that's the underpinnings of the law. He needs to get his money back and any fees incurred because of Apple or pay pal's error.

15. heimo macrumors 6502

Don't forget that he now can't afford dialysis and insulin, causing a horrible death. He was just about to invent cure for cancer and a 100% certain way to ensure world peace and enough food and energy to everyone.

But because of this little mistake on his bank account, human kind is now doomed and a large asteroid will hit earth in 30 days, unless all the countries in the world combine their nuclear weapons to blow up that rock.

Will Apple refund his account in time?
    Is there any hope left in humanity?

Sylvester Stallone as Steve Jobs
    Keanu Reeves as a guy who was charged too much

16. Ell2Cool macrumors member

Stallone would make a terrible jobs!:D

17. acidfast7, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011

acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

Why? Because the individual in question cannot properly manage his money financially.

Let's be serious, what type of responsible person doesn't have a six month cushion saved before buying a house? If a $4k overdraft overextends someone to the extent that they can't pay their mortgage, maybe they shouldn't be committing to purchasing a house in the first place? And, maybe they shouldn't be spending $30 on an operating system upgrade if they don't have that cushion.

What happened to personal fiscal responsibility?

Why was it not backed up before sending it in?!?!?!?!?

Not until it's 30 days late (at least in the US.)

18. cozmot Guest

If I recall, this guy wasn't suing or asking for anything more than his money back. This wasn't a small glitch on Apple's part, it was a major f-up, and the guy suffered more than a minor inconvenience. It would have been a magnanimous gesture on Apple's part to have made up for it with something nice, that's all.

19. G4DP, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011

G4DP macrumors 65816

Typical, get it now, pay it later.

It's because the quality of this site is going downhill faster than a bobsleigh. When a change of the picture on a box makes front page news, you know it's time to think about the quality of this site. Also copying word for word an article from another site, and claiming it's their own.

Please excuse the rant but Arn please get back to the quality of the site from 5 years ago.

20. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Really? You're judging someone because they don't have 6 months saved? You're pretty daft if you think this man is in any way at fault for APPLE charging his account 120 times.

God forbid he try and spend $30..... wow what a moron.`

21. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The posts discussing the grammatical error were removed because they had began to dominate the thread long after the mistake they were discussing had been rectified.

As stated in the forum rules...

We were not trying to hide our mistakes but just doing our best to keep the thread on-topic.

22. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

You're missing the point. The deal about not being able to pay his/her mortgage because of a 4k overcharge reeks of poor financial planning. This is only judging the financial character of person. $30 on a non-essential item is only providing supporting evidence to the lack of financial prudence by the individual.

In summary, it was a problem in processing by Apple/PayPal, but the whole "I can't pay my mortgage"-business is ridiculous and shouldn't have even been stated.

23. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

LoL. Looking for a cheaper entry>?;) If you had been holding Apple stock you would have not so much negative to say about the company. LOL:D

I think Apple should pay everyone's mortgage up to the price of the erroneous charges in August who they over-billed to demonstrate good faith.. They've got the cash no sweat.

24. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

What's ridiculous is it's a non-issue. First, most mortgages have a 10-15 day grace period in the contract. So you can be a few days late with no affect. Also, if you just call your lender and explain the situation, they will note it and all will be good. They understand things happen.

But most of all... never, ever, NEVER use a card tied to your checking account to buy on-line just for this reason. If it was a true credit card and not a bank card, none of this would even be an issue and your personal money would be safe. Mistakes and theft happens and using your debit card puts you at risk for this type of issue.

25. Lennholm, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

Lennholm macrumors 6502a

Hasn't Gates donated half of his wealth to charity already?
    I have no reason to blindly assume Jobs bothers with giving to charity. He is the man who cancelled Apples philanthropy and never reinstated it and he is by all accounts from people who have worked with him personally a jerk.

Maybe you should read up on how the App Store works before writing such ignorant crap.

But Apple give away iPads for almost no reason at all, and this time they really screwed up and caused real inconvenience.

Stallone makes a terrible anyone.

That might be how it works in the US, but in my country the receiver of a bill have a legal right to incurr a lateness fee from the first overdue day, and after a month or so, they can get assistance from a federal institution that are specified in helping to collect money, along with their own high fees and if you're unable to pay up this federal institution has the right to confiscate your property and auction it off to get the money.
    If the App Store has the US system as a reference, I'm pretty sure they don't care about how it works in my country, so I could potentially get in a lot of trouble if something like this happened to me.