Apple Begins Refunding Lion Overcharges

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 30, 2011.

1. subterFUSE macrumors newbie

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was the consumer's FAULT, but I do understand your underlying point about the dangers of debit cards.
    This sort of situation is exactly the reason why I do not have any debit cards.

2. hugodrax, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011

hugodrax macrumors 6502a

What if due to apples error he ended up with 290 dollars in late fees. Should apple compensate him for that?

Debit cards make no sense. A credit card is much better you get the use of the no interest float, pay it in full every month collect ponta and convert points into cash.

I get quite a bit of cash back so I end up actually getting a cut in the cost of living by being paid to use a credit card.

3. subterFUSE, Jul 31, 2011

subterFUSE macrumors newbie

Saying it is the customer's fault is going overboard. This was a mistake with either Apple or PayPal and those companies should make good with their customers. But this situation does illustrate a potential danger of debit cards vs. credit cards. I do not have any debit cards for this exact reason.

With a credit card, the federal government has legislated that the customer is only liable for the first $50 in the case of fraudulent, mistaken or unauthorized charges. There is no such protection with a debit card. Some banks offer their own "protection" or "guarantee", but this is not the same thing as having a federal law on the books for the consumer's protection.

Secondly, with a credit card it won't be the customer's money that's taken away. It's the bank's money. So there's no worry about checks bouncing or missing payments because their money disappeared. The customer will have plenty of time to correct the issue before there is any financial impact. Also, since it will be the bank's money that is taken, the bank will have even more incentive to correct the issue.

Yes, I believe they should. If it had been me in that situation, I would certainly expect and demand compensation for all negative impacts of their mistake.

I agree with you, and that is how I use my credit card. I pay it in full before the cutoff date, making it effectively like a debit card but without the risk. It also boosts my credit score which helps me if I ever do want to get a loan. Credit scores are like a game. You can play the system right and work things to your benefit... assuming you can be responsible, of course.

4. Crigger540 macrumors member

Crigger540

Ramone! This man is a troll!

5. maulrat1967 macrumors newbie

so now what are the REAL sales figures of Lion's first day supposed "ONE MILLION copies sold"?

6. Crigger540 macrumors member

Crigger540

troll much?

7. jchristman, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

jchristman macrumors newbie

I am!! It was frustrating until it was completed. I assume they didn't want to tell me more than necessary, for some reason? Perhaps just to keep me guessing so they had control.

Actually, I have 9 apps showing as in need of update, and I am afraid to update them for fear it will cost me $286.11

8. GenesisST, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

I tend to agree. Whatever your mortgage, if you do not have anything saved, a savings account (joint maybe) or a line of credit, then maybe that house is a wee bit too big for you or your shouldn't even have a house.

It is a house, things break, accidents happen. If your roof starts to leak, you have to repair it. If you can't do that at any point, then a house is not for you.

9. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Guys... This is silly... We shouldn't be passing judgement on people's financial situation.... However... I have trouble believing that no matter how bad the mistake was that things can't get worked out with no harm. Especially when it comes to a mortgage. All you have to do is pick up the phone and talk.

Of course as many have said... Don't use your checking account to buy things online and you're golden all the time.

10. Sjhonny macrumors 6502

You forget the enormous fees you pay on cc's. If you end up in red, you pay 14% (yearly basis) interest for those debts. Credit Cards are ******** in my opinion. The convenience doesn't make up for the costs and the risks (look at the PSN hack - 2.2 million persons ended up with a credit card of which both the number and the csc got compromised). A system like cc's or paypal is also very vulnerable to phishing attacks.

11. brian82788 macrumors member

Ok, I was only curious. Like I said we all make these mistakes, no-one is perfect.

12. jchristman macrumors newbie

Nope.. That is sure not true!! I wish!!

13. Shackrat macrumors member

Are you for real, or are you just a tool? Typical blame the victim mentality. This was in no way his fault. He did nothing to cause the duplicate charges, period.

Both Apple an PayPal require financial information, can't use PayPal without it, can't use iTunes either. They go out of their way to hype their security and build confidence in their financial systems. When they screw up, they need to make the customer whole, even if the cost of damages exceeds the extra charges. End of story.

14. jchristman, Jul 31, 2011

It was only on my iTune account once.. Here is what iTunes first told me when I reported it:

I have reviewed your account and show only one charge for "OS X Lion" on order number ##########. I urge you to contact PayPal as soon as possible to inquire about removing the unauthorized transactions. You should also ask them to launch an investigation into the security of your account. Under the circumstances the iTunes Store cannot reverse the charges, as they do not show up on your iTunes Store account.

This was after PayPal confirmed it was 122 charges from the iTunes store. Apple later verified it was was problem with them.

I'd be thrilled if Apple sent me a gift of goodwill.. They have been keeping me on a very need-to-know basis. I asked at least 3 times if they would pay my fees, and they ignored the question each time, until the money was in my PayPal account and I confirmed that. Then they didn't say they would pay fees, they wanted to see them first. Then asked if I anticipate any more fees. I said that I still don't have the cash in my account, so they offered the current fees and an extra amount, which is certainly not enough to buy an Apple product.

But since they kept me in the dark about the fees perhaps when I confirm there are no more fees, they will send me a gift.. One can only hope, Apple would that considerate after such a HUGE PAIN THE ASS WEEK.

15. MattyO macrumors regular

on the cheap

apples getting cheap ... first the $100 app credit for BTS and now this measly gift for their screw up.

Next they'll be putting outdated components in their computers and charging a premium for their computers ... oh wait they are already doing that.

but I still followed and bought the new Mac Mini ... :D

16. jchristman macrumors newbie

My mortgage is auto withdrawal. That is scariest part.

17. BTW macrumors 6502

I haven't even checked on my statement yet. I did have to make about a dozen attempts to install Lion so Apple may be owning me some dough. :)

18. jchristman, Jul 31, 2011

Nope.. I was not suing. I am just screwed in the minds of some either way.. I don't seem to be getting "something nice" because I was not demanding anything other than my money back. and fees they caused. It seems the people that demand, get what they want, like a new Macbook Air!. But some readers want to assume I am trying to milk them.

I guess you only get what you demand.

Mortgage is auto-pay, as I always have the money in there for it. I merely complained because, their mistake became my responsibility to juggle many things and call all my creditors. I was not asking them to pay my mortgage or anything.

Including the many hours of dealing with the impact?

Mortgage was merely brought up as it was a point of frustration. Sure I can call the company, I can call family. But the point is their mistake is my frustration and extra work.. That is all.

19. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Interesting. The site and its "top pick" for a merchant account alternative (btw merchant drafts are one of the biggest sources of financial fraud) appear to be designed by the same webmaster. The Whois info for both, appears to be obfuscated. I'm not defending apple but I am concerned that the people running aboutpaypal.org are running a less than transparent money or even phishing scam of their own. I'd avoid those sites as well as paypal.

20. frunkis54, Jul 31, 2011

frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

that is just silly not every can do that and doesn't make it his fault.

yeah typical just because someone chooses to use a credit card doesn't mean they can't pay for the item. i use a credit card instead of a debit card for a number of reasons one being in case something like this happens(because it happens all the time and doesn't get in the news) second i get either airline miles or cash back for a certain amount of spending. and last my cards are always paid when they are due.

Credit cards are a great thing if used properly and not abused like most people do.
    credit cards can be abused but if used properly can be used to your advantage by no means have a said people should rack up debt on a credit card you should only buy what you can afford.

21. Feelingrandy macrumors newbie

Thats too bad

because you shouldn't have to pay for garbage, especially 122 times. Once is enough for this POS software that sets the clock back, ruins productivity, make a once stable system very jiggy and makes everything a game of sleuth as one wonders where and how to find their documents. I only wish there were a way to get rid of the thing..is there?

22. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

It won't affect his mortgage. It is due on the first of the month, the late charge doesn't appear until the 15th of the month and no late charge appears on your credit until it is a full 30 days late. This is being blown out of proportion.

Does anyone here have a mortgage?

23. darkplanets, Jul 31, 2011

darkplanets macrumors 6502a

Exactly. This happens all the time... why is this news?

I realize that it somehow has a "shock" value since it's a big company, but come on, think about how many times you've been over or mischarged for something... I can name quite a few. Regardless of who's fault it is, this is not news. I don't care if the federal government overcharged him on income taxes-- errors like this are commonplace, especially when it's done via electronic withdrawals.

Also, post above me is spot on. This guy was just trying to make a splash.

Cue the negative votes. It appears as if nowadays if you say anything remotely supportive of Apple you get a nice berating :)

24. Rodster macrumors 68040

Depends on the bank. I deal with Wellsfargo and prior to that Wachovia and they treat a debit card just like a credit card. I have had them reverse charges with no problem.

LOL is this the new Vista? :D

25. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

Perhaps. Time will tell. SL had it's fair share of issues too-- I never get .0, and usually wait for at least .2 before I bite.