Apple Being Sued for 'Purposefully Slowing Down Older iPhone Models' [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

DISMISSED. Someone is being used by greedy lawyers.

2. UL2RA Suspended

It's wonderful that you don't comprehend the problem at all. It's also been explained by several members that they've been turned down for battery replacements and were told to just upgrade their phone ... even though they offered to pay for battery replacements. The issue doesn't just stop at the hidden throttling. Apple has been doing something wrong and that something is appropriately being addressed. This is not okay.

3. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

This is true for every device with lithium battery! Poor humanity

4. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

How is this not like VWgate-level?

The easy way to see if apples claim is true is to test depreciated battery on non-throtte iOS. Does it randomly shut down?

If not, apples intentions are malicious and fueled by greed

Tim Cook needs to go. Apple will be fine with another CEO.

5. LaraCroft835 macrumors regular

LaraCroft835

ever read the terms and conditions? IOS belongs to Apple. So your "Their involvement with my property stops after payment" isn't really yours.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

In my opinion, any of you complaining about Apple (re: your older phones) have no case. Once you agreed to the terms and conditions and installed the software, you gave up your right to complain about future actions like this.

Read the iOS 10 agreement.

7. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

I'd rather they replaced the faulty phones. These models clearly have a design flaw. Notice how previous iPhones did not suddenly shutdown at 40% charge level after two years of usage. Is it supposed to be a new feature? Obviously it's a design flaw. They skimped on battery size while increasing the power of the processor (and other guts).

8. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

Layers making money once again. They are the true winners here.

9. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

Apple should fix (replace, actually) the phones not the iOS.

10. firewood macrumors 604

Apple never advertised a particular processor speed number. And the iPhone 6 uses a much faster (higher power) processor than the models before, which requires doing something different, such as a thicker heavier iPhone, which you might not complain about, but a lot of other potential customers would see as a big negative. So Apple seems to have instead gone with limiting their speed boost.

11. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

That’s fine. As long as Apple has to deal with the consequence of
    Their actions.

Time for more transparency

There’s no way this is a “feature” what an absurd use of the word.

12. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Are you stating that every device with a lithium battery slows down the CPU when the battery get's old? I've never heard that. Any citation?

13. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Chances are if you have an android device, you never get updates at all. And if you're the extra special owner of an LG Nexus device, the Snapdragon SoC fails entirely and leaves you with a brick at the 1-2 year mark. Google Nexus 5x bootloop if you don't believe me. Where there would be an outrage in the Apple world barely merits a shrug in disposable Android land where you're expected to replace your phone every 6 months anyway.

14. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

This is no more a defect than the soles of your running shoes wearing out with age is a defect.

15. Solver macrumors 6502a

Dang! Apple is slowing down mobile phones with deteriorating batteries! Why not let them shutdown, or explode? Apple will be sued for this.

And if they did not do it, they would also be sued.

16. barnyard macrumors member

I pray this makes them change future iPhone design to user-replaceable batteries.

17. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

What if Apple’s Been doing with this macOS? :eek:

Sucks they removed battery estimate sometime early into Sierra.

They don’t like being transparent about anything battery related seems like

18. kalafalas macrumors regular

I’m sorry, this is stupid people trying to make money. In an emergency situation, if I’m calling 911 and my phone has a failing battery I sure would prefer it to be slow than to just turn off. If anything, they should have been sued for not having this type of function out the gate. That being said, it was poor form to not include a pop-up saying “your battery is failing and performance will be reduced to prevent unexpected shut downs, please replace your battery as soon as possible” or something

19. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

True, it's a good point. We need clarification on when this throttling kicks in - at 200 full cycles? At 85% battery health?. Now that we know Apple intentionally throttle phones, it could be a mixture of what's slowing phones down now - software, and battery degradation. We don't know the definite cause anymore.

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Legally speaking, they don't have to fix or replace any older phones. It is all spelled out in the agreement.

Like I said yesterday in another thread, Apple states, and MR has confirmed time and time again, that iOS updates can, and often include performance enhancements etc. And many of those address current and future battery usages.

Unless it can be proven that Apple knowingly bought and installed substandard batteries that did not conform to stated marketing documents on said components and any other peripheral devices joined thereto, whether directly or indirectly, I don't see the lawsuit going anywhere.

Edited to add: I do believe that Apple should replace a iPhone battery for a customer, even if it isn't below 80%, if the customer is willing to pay for the out of warranty repair. That is one of the points of Apple policy i disagree with.

21. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

There's another option... notify the user that the battery is worn down, give them the option to activate the throttling, and provide battery replacement as a per-charge option for those who don't want their phones throttled.

If Apple embraces your approach, I suspect that only a handful of people will leave Apple world as a result.

They're more concerned about the appearance of things than actually losing customers so I suspect that they'll provide some kind of "program" for those who believe are affected by it. Then they'll have a special diagnostic tool to determine whether or not a particular phone falls under the program. The parameters will be such that only a handful will meet the criteria. Apple looks good to the public because they're being responsive to the issue, the majority won't bother, and those that do but don't pass the criteria will grumble.

We've seen this before, with the the early 2011 Macbook Pro graphics issue. The defected affected ALL units but Apple would only fix those that passed/failed their diagnostic test. If the unit was unable to run the diagnostic tool, then it was automatically ineligible for repair.

22. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

The question is do they shut down?

Someone can test a crappy capacity battery with a pre-throttle iOS version

<10.2.1 for 6s/se

<11.2 for 7

Who knows what else

—-

If they exploded, wouldn’t they have to inform the public? Surely not everyone is on iOS 11 latest as the market share shows.

*something is fishy*

23. itsmilo, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017

itsmilo macrumors 68030

itsmilo

Terms & Conditions can include selling your first born child to Tim Cook and his boyfriend. That doesnt mean its legal or would hold in court.

Isnt the core of the problem that a phone should not just shut off? Sounds like a design flaw of the iPhone 6 onwards to me.

Like if a device battery turned to crap i would still expect it to go down to 1% and 0% before switching off. Just faster obviously and not turn off as soon as it hits the 30%ish mark

24. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

This is a prayer that has no chance of being answered.

25. NIKKG macrumors 6502

NIKKG

Good, people need to go to jail for this, this is purposeful robbing of performance in order to make people spend more money on new expensive phones. Bunch of crooks.