Apple Being Sued for 'Purposefully Slowing Down Older iPhone Models' [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. ConfluxNZ macrumors member

ConfluxNZ

2. thadoggfather, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017

thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Guys we know you’re gonna love this feature. We’re gonna reduce your performance on 6s/SE to 5s levels after a year and change and not let you know and when you enable low power mode down to 4s levels. AND!!! We’ll soon be rolling out similar degradation to other models (X/8) AND!!! We JUST rolled it out to 7 with 11.2 AND!! You can no longer load 11.1.2 on your 7 to future proof yourself in a sense AND!! We’re only telling you because we now have to AND!! It’s a feature cause otherwise the device would shut down(would loveeee for someone to test this)

Happy holidays!

[​IMG]

3. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

4. Brandhouse macrumors 6502

5. Act3 macrumors 68000

6. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

I take the side of whoever I feel is in the right, and I find it ironic that of late; I find myself taking Apple’s side more often than not and having to explain and interpret their actions because of all the misinformation floating around. Mob mentality is a very scary thing.

And my current stance is that while Apple was not wrong to implement the throttling feature the way they did, it is also understandable why the consumers are feeling as outraged and upset as they are right now, even as I don’t entirely agree with the various alternative solutions proposed.

I don’t think the lawsuit will go anywhere, but it will be interesting to see how Apple will continue to address this issue moving forward.

7. gwaizai macrumors regular

gwaizai

how about "Highway Robbery?"

8. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

From what I understand other smartphone makers don't throttle CPU but Apple does because their thin design compromised battery quality. If that's the case then your analogy would be wrong. And if you think about it, why didn't older iPhones that were coincidentally thicker (iPhone 1, 3gs, 4) need CPU throttling?

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

That is true. However, in the link provided, Apple defines x,y, and z and users agree by installing.

If a customer is not going to take the time to read what he or she is agreeing to before buying a product or updating a product via the manufacturer, I believe he or she should look in the mirror first, and put blame where blame rightly belongs, instead of always looking to blame someone else.

Apple not acting in a manner equitable to expectations of MR regulars does not necessarily constitute fraud on Apple's part.

10. cmwade77 macrumors 65816

Ok, so basically, Apple is saying that a degraded battery can't handle peak demands placed on it and thus the phone will shut off.

I am going to have to call BS on that one and all we need to do to figure that out is to look at electric vehicles. Most EVs will reduce power if the current charge gets too low, but can you imagine a car manufacturer slowing down your car from say 65 to 55 because the battery is degraded (even if it is fully charged) and if they didn't, the car would randomly shut off at the higher speeds? Of course not and this shouldn't be any different, the only time that the phone should get slowed down is it the charge is low, say 10% or less.

11. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

No, it is not. It's only iPhones and only certain models. It's a design flaw.

12. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

That’s what I find most curious about apples claim

Someone needs to thoroughly scientifically test if degraded batteries on 10.2 or earlier on 6s/Se and degraded before 11.2 on 7 do shut down.

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Go to jail? What specific local, state, and or federal crime has been abridged by unnamed Apple employees?

14. cmwade77 macrumors 65816

The problem with expecting the end user to read the agreements is they are long and full of legalese that you would need to consult with a lawyer to even begin to understand.

15. firewood macrumors 604

One of the ways Jobs created a company that could grow towards a trillion dollar valuation was by having them *NOT* waste effort always looking back and keep supporting legacy stuff (Apple II/III,Lisa,Newton,68k,PPC,floppy drives, etc.), but always have the team look forward.

IMHO, trying hard to maintain a legacy code base is a major reason why MS is out of the mobile phone business and ends up with so many more exploits discovered in Windows. At some point you have to dump old code, or the returns become negative (unless, like some open source, a lot of the labor is free).

In spite of that, the latest iOS still runs on an iPhone 5s, and macOS on 6+ year old MacBooks.

16. Regbial macrumors 6502

Regbial

Finally! Apple's poor way of treating costumers like COMPLETE IDIOTS bites them in the back... Started smelling some of this with the "Wifi Disconnected (not off)" controversy earlier in the year.

Bad Apple...

17. Brandhouse macrumors 6502

So don't install any IOS beyond what it came with and don't cry when an app you want to install can't because you're using an unsupported iOS.

18. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Yeah who the hell wants to disconnect from WiFi leave the house and start connecting to random hotspots and render my internet temporarily gone. And it’s a sketch security concern

Haha

19. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Is it just me or is the biggest issue here that a phone should not just shut off no matter how bad the battery life is? Like I would expect the battery indicator simply to drop down faster so i know when i have to charge my phone. Thats what it is for right? To sort of know when i can expect my iPhone to turn off. Not have it die on me around the 20% mark???

So Apple being like „lol we will just slow it down so it doesnt die on you too soon“ doesnt really seem to fix the core of the problem

20. rawCpoppa macrumors 6502

This Macrumors article reads like a shill piece. Usually Macrumors articles are impartial. This one reeks of defensiveness.

21. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

There is an article with some speculation as to what went wrong on Anandtech. Here is a quote from it:

"The second question comes to regard to as why it came to the issue in the first place as this should be a universal issue affecting a greater number of smartphones, not just Apple iPhones.

The first unique characteristic separating Apple iPhones from other smartphones is that Apple is using a custom CPU architecture that differs a lot from those of other vendors. It’s plausible that the architecture is able to power down and power up in a much more aggressive fashion compared to other designs and as such has stricter power regulation demands. If this is the case then another question rises is if this is indeed just a transient load issue why the power delivery system was not designed sufficiently robust enough to cope with such loads at more advanced levels of battery wear? While cold temperature and advanced battery wear are understandable conditions under which a device might not be able to sustain its normal operating conditions, the state of charge of a battery under otherwise normal conditions should be taken into account during the design of a device (Battery, SoC, PMIC, decoupling capacitors) and its operating tolerances.
    "

22. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

The majority of people blindly agree to the terms. If Apple didn't provide the terms before asking for the consent, things would be different.

23. UL2RA Suspended

Because they have every right to.

24. Ploki macrumors 68040

Tbh I saw iphones acting pretty erratically with broken batteries, and shutting off randomly at 30% charge is not uncommon on depleted batteries.

My MacBook Retina has bad battery and it shuts itself off randomly when off adapter.

and its not like electric cars are perfect either.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_electric_vehicle_fire_incidents

we need better battery technology.

25. Ds6778 macrumors 6502a

Ds6778

Calm down fandroids, your Snapdragon is still inferior....by a long shot. I’ll take a “throttled” A10 over anything Snapdragon puts out.