Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Daring Fireball notes a very specific change in the iPhone OS 4 SDK that will directly thwart Adobe's efforts to directly compile Flash applications onto the iPhone. The new terms dictate the following:
Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++, or JavaScript as executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine, and only code written in C, C++, and Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs (e.g., Applications that link to Documented APIs through an intermediary translation or compatibility layer or tool are prohibited).
This seems to go directly against Adobe's plans to release Flash Professional CS5 that would have allowed developers to export native iPhone applications from Flash.

Adobe has acknowledged the change to the New York Times, but doesn't have any change in plans just yet.
We are aware of Apple’s new SDK language and are looking into it. We continue to develop our Packager for iPhone OS technology, which we plan to debut in Flash CS5.

Article Link: Apple Blocks Adobe's Flash-to-iPhone Compiler in Latest SDK Agreement

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

frustrating for users who want flash, but it's not hard to understand the thinking if apple is serious about promoting html5 and/or killing flash.

AdLib

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
What a petty, petty, selfish, foolish man Steven Jobs is. Tsk.

Quite replusive you'd literally want Bill Gates tarred and feathered if he did the same. Ah, but that's the typical one-way street of Apple.

You can play ball w/ the 70-75% of the Internet who uses flash, or you can punish your Apple users.

I guess that's why Apple will always be only 10% of market share.

Windows 7 surpasses 10% market share by March 2010:
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/ne...s-10-market-share.ars?comments=1#comments-bar

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Apple likes Adobe. The only reason Apple dislikes Flash is it has become widespread, it is a memory hog, and it crashes most systems at some level. That's all.

iPhone and iPad are very memory stingy. Flash running in that environment would be a massive resource hog no matter what compatibility engine made it physically run. It would make the remainder of the device be "not snappy".

Snappiness with very modest memory is a feat deserving proudness, and also is something very easily disturbed.

Twitter via push rather than normal protocol. Imagine Farmville or Cafe World which is Flash over-the-top. Crash-o-matic.

No thanks. I suspect HTML5 Farmville will be bad enough and will invoke whatever virtual memory scheme iPad uses.

Rocketman

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
If it compiles into an iPhone app, why should Apple care how it started? They wouldn't be supporting flash, just giving flash devs a way to bring their designs to the iPhone platform. I think it's a foolish ego move on Apple's part.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Haha, the timing of this is a huge "screw you" to Adobe.

Now what, Adobe? Now what? All eyes are on you for the next move.

Honestly, while I love what CS4 lets me do on the Mac, it's the biggest piece if crap software. Most unstable thing on my Mac.

It would be funny if Adobe just pulled all Mac apps, going PC only. Would designers switch? Doubt it, they would just live with CS4 until someone else comes out with something to replace it.

Jeff321

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
Stupid Apple. Why do they care what language it was originally written in?

It seems like they are blindly continuing their anti-Adobe crusade for no reason this time.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
What a petty, petty, selfish, foolish man Steven Jobs is. Tsk.
Snip

Apple's desktop marketshare has no relevance to its mobile devices marketshare.

NOBODY CARES! In other words.

Stupid Apple.

I dotn see you earning billions.

Why do they care what language it was originally written in?

Because then you get things like Mono Touch and crusty popcap like flash apps littering the App store.

It seems like they are continuing their anti-Flash crusade because who wants more crap to litter the app store?.

Fixed

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK

You seem to really like that link.

But since we are talking about the iPhone here:
iphone-os-4-0096-rm-eng.jpg

275px-Smartphone_share_2009_full.png

backdraft

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
USA

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Why doesn't Apple just buy Adobe, kill flash, and re-write CS5 or 6 so that it becomes a killer mac app for future desktop and touch systems?

Everyone wins, except for windows PC users of course!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.