Apple Buys 50 Business Class Seats From San Francisco to Shanghai Every Day

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2019.

1. nt5672 macrumors 68000

But Apple has so gotten into the habit of saying. "Your not looking at it right", or "Your not holding it right", "Your not storing it right", or some other "Your not right" clause that I suspect the suppliers want to have the employee in person just to get it right, at least if getting it right from Apple is still possible.

2. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

It's Macrumors. You don't necessarily have to know what you're writing about

3. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

Theoretically yes. But things are just not the same when you are not there in person. Plus the contractor could literally tell you everything. It's much easier to inspect production faults when you are there. Communication is quicker.

I mean theoratically, there is no need for an HQ. Almost everyone could work at home (apart from the actual engineering teams - and I don't mean software enginering). There is a reason why people still go to work.

4. citysnaps macrumors 601

I suspect you can always book and pay for your own travel. It would no doubt cost a lot more money, though.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2019 ---
    Apple employees fly to many more locations than the top 10 listed in the story. No doubt dozens of locations in the US alone.

And...likely United has a contract with heavily discounted rates to all locations Apple employees travel to.

No doubt Apple contracted with United because it meets all of Apple's criteria; ie more destinations, more frequent flights, and for the best price.

5. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

wont happen.
    Apple's still bitter they had the audacity to use the G5 moniker :D:p

6. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

I am baffled at the people posting here about Apple burning fuel and irresponsibly contributing to the CO2 load.

A. Those flights are happening anyway.

B. The teams need physical presence to verify quality, changes, etc. - this is not online education.

C. It is actual, physical production of a designed product.

D. This is not sending shrimp to Taiwan/South East Asia to devein and shell and then ship it back 10 timezones to save money at the local distributor because the cost of labor is high at home! Now, that is unnecessary CO2 emissions.

7. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised this is a question.
    like everything you don't want to do at your job, you do it or your fired.

8. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

If Steve we’re still here then he’d go ballistic and stop using United completely. Steve was the greatest. Still is.

9. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Not only that, they cost a fortune, don't have a lot of seats, expensive to maintain, Apple is not an airliner company-it's not what they do...amongst many more reasons.

10. firewood macrumors 604

Didn't Ives buy Jobs Gulfstream jet from Laureen?
    I wonder if Apple reimburses him when he uses it for business related travel?
    Range is too short. But Apple could probably afford a few Boeing long range aircraft if United (et.al.) doesn't meet their needs.

I'm surprised that Apple and the hospital next door to the spaceship didn't cooperate to have a heli-pad zoned-in.

11. anthogag macrumors member

Because too many R&D centres are in China they have to fly people there every day. They're using planes like a bus driving to another city. Planes add a lot of pollution in the upper atmosphere and using planes like a bus ride is not environmentally friendly.
    America could import these people to work in R&D centres in North America and "skilled labour" can remain in China.

"Skilled labour" can be developed in North America.

I expect Apple to do more R&D and design in North America.

No, they should fly much less and have more R&D and design in North America.

12. ateslik macrumors regular

how did you know it was a clot versus just discomfort from sitting for so long?

13. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

I’m guessing the signs are meant for investors meeting and is confidential.

Someone is getting fired.

14. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

No, they can’t be...not at this volume. It would take years and probably still not work.

And at the end of the day, why?

15. racerhomie macrumors regular

racerhomie

Apple doesn’t own manufacturing factories since they are huge liabilities once they become outdated. I am saying Apple engineers always have a presence on the ground.

16. neutralguy macrumors 6502a

Why shouldn't they get into that business? Apple was not a media producing company either..an auto company either..a fashion brand either.. /s

17. Ronlap macrumors regular

Ronlap

Nice. I was commuting to Shanghai when I was with HP (usually through HKG or NRT since there weren't any direct flights at the time). We had a dedicated check-in counter at United SFO, but we also flew coach.

18. KPandian1, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019

KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Web-search or WebMD for "Deep Vein Thrombosis"!

It is a thing - a medical crisis that can and does kill. Prolonged bed stay, inactive legs cause blood moving too slowly or just stops and clots.

Serena Williams had this a couple of years ago, and almost died - long distance flight. Women on contraceptives and smokers are at higher risk, but it can get anyone.

19. truthertech macrumors 68000

Apple has 2500 employees at its UK headquarters in London and is building a new HQ. It also has more than one supplier HQ'd in London, research companies like Cambridge, and of course London is not only a hub, but the financial center of Europe.

20. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

ermm no you didn't. This is a quote from you "Only the machines are Samsung owned" so if Samsung aren't providing the staff and Samsung aren't providing the factory who is making these mystial iPhone screens? (hint: you don't have to reply it's companies like Samsung)

21. fmalloy macrumors 6502

If companies relied more on video conferencing or even phone conference calls there would be many less flights required, contributing less to global warming and reliance on fossil fuels.

It's amazing to me that Apple hypes FaceTime but doesn't use it themselves. Flying 11 hours to shake hands and have one meeting is outdated and archaic. Do Apple employees wear blue suits to work every day and carry hard briefcases, paper day planners, and gold business card holders too?

It's hilarious that tech embraces HD video and virtual reality, but then wastes two days flying around the world for "face to face" business meetings.

22. JungleNYC macrumors regular

JungleNYC

Agree. And overseas travel for business in coach is torture. There's a reason why most companies relent and allow bizclass seats, even though they're 3x the cost.

23. fmalloy macrumors 6502

My memories are when I had to fly to Tokyo to spend two 8-hour days giving all-day training and presenting to demanding and critical customers, and the VPs who just sit there and pick their fingernails and drink with the customer board Business Class while I'm in the back in Coach.

24. Fenestrator macrumors newbie

"Consumer" account spend should be confidential yes. Publically traded and fully auditable conglomerates such as Apple, not so protected. Neither is United who is also publically traded and subject to declaring it's internal profitable clientele to its shareholders.

25. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

Lol, you speak right out of your rectum there. You have no idea the proportion of time spent in video conference, phone time, and in face time. You also have no idea why they're flying to places and whether it's meaningful work or just handshakes as you imply.

If wishes were horses, beggars would be riders.