Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Card Mislabeling AT&T Charges as 'Waters, Hardy & Co' Leading to Customer Confusion [Update: Fixed]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A transaction labeling error with the Apple Card has been causing confusion for some Apple Card owners, with AT&T charges listed as "Waters, Hardy & Co" instead of AT&T on Apple Card statements.

The problem appears to have started at some point yesterday, with tax preparation service Waters, Hardy & Co receiving hundreds of phone calls from confused customers. In a Facebook post, the company said that it had received so many calls from Apple Card owners that its phones had to be turned off.

MacRumors reader Kyle alerted us to the problem. He found an incorrect merchant charge for "Waters, Hardy & Co" listed in the Wallet app, which was actually his bill from AT&T. He contacted the company and received a voice recording with a message that said Apple had incorrectly listed Waters, Hardy & Co as the merchant for the AT&T charges.

Another MacRumors reader mentioned the same issue yesterday, noting a "weird charge" on the Apple Card, presumably from Waters, Hardy & Co. Based on the reports we've seen and the hundreds of calls received by Waters, Hardy & Co., this appears to be affecting quite a few AT&T customers who use Apple Card for their bills.

MacRumors reader Kyle says that he contacted Apple Support about the problem and was told that the issue was known and was in the process of being corrected. Waters, Hardy & Co. also says that it is working to get the problem resolved as quickly as possible.

Update: According to Apple, the issue has been fixed and AT&T transactions will no longer be mislabeled.

Article Link: Apple Card Mislabeling AT&T Charges as 'Waters, Hardy & Co' Leading to Customer Confusion [Update: Fixed]

Last edited:

dguisinger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Maybe they should have stuck to an industry they were good at. While an Apple Card holder, I cringe at the idea of them using finance products to build their stock value to be able to keep showing increased revenue. GE went down that route, and in the end they really didn't build anything anymore. Their CEO was celebrated at the time, but it destroyed the company.

Comment

va1984

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
I’ve had this charge this morning. Frankly, you need to be a little thick in order not to do 2+2 .... it’s the same exact amount as your AT&T bill... on the same day as your AT&T bill... your AT&T bill has not been charged separately.... Apple Card frequently mislabels charges.... what genius could solve the mystery? But, no of course, some people immediately call the police/the internets/macrumors for help!!

Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Maybe they should have stuck to an industry they were good at. While an Apple Card holder, I cringe at the idea of them using finance products to build their stock value to be able to keep showing increased revenue. GE went down that route, and in the end they really didn't build anything anymore. Their CEO was celebrated at the time, but it destroyed the company.
How much money is Apple making off this credit card?

Comment

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
I’ve had this charge this morning. Frankly, you need to be a little thick in order not to do 2+2 .... it’s the same exact amount as your AT&T bill... on the same day as your AT&T bill... your AT&T bill has not been charged separately.... Apple Card frequently mislabels charges.... what genius could solve the mystery? But, no of course, some people immediately call the police/the internets/macrumors for help!!
Having worked customer service at a credit card company.. do not underestimate how thick the average person is.

Comment

citysnaps

macrumors 604
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco

Funny! Actually, it was a very shrewd move by Apple.

Reactions: PickUrPoison
Comment

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR

GE Capital is not the reason why GE went down the toilet, and it did not "destroy" GE as you claim. GE was brought down by mismanagement, and not by "using finance products to build their stock value."

Comment

samwa3

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2018
Germany
My bank also does this with credit card transactions in their app. Trying to get a nice name for the merchant and pull their logo etc. so it doesn't look like "SP * TESTCORP COM NEW YORK, US" but you can still see the actual data if you click on "Show more". Sometimes it will get it a bit wrong, but haven't noticed any true ****-ups so far. But it's probably always a possibility. Hopefully Apple will get this rectified quick.

Comment

Jwk90

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2018
This happened to me yesterday 5pm central at a local fast food place in town that I go to maybe 3-4 times a month.

swiped my card in the drive through and the notification came up as a very well know car dealership across town. I was like uhhh that’s an error. I reported it in the wallet app and it was fixed back to its normal name within an hour.

sounds like they did some sort of upgrade to the naming system that might be going a little sour.

Reactions: fc4090
Comment

BorgCube

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2012
the Delta Quadrant
Where I worked, we once had someone put our location in the phone book down for a specific business. Every week you'd get a handful of calls asking for X business, even a decade later. :p.

Reactions: unplugme71
Comment

Billyk711

Suspended
Sep 26, 2015
GE Capital is not the reason why GE went down the toilet, and it did not "destroy" GE as you claim. GE was brought down by mismanagement, and not by "using finance products to build their stock value."
Too funny, some people have no clue what they are talking about.

Reactions: unplugme71
Comment

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC

Goldman Sacks is the credit card company, not Apple. Just like how the Best Buy Credit Card is Citi bank, and the Amazon card is Chase.

Comment

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth

You know the card is run by Goldman Sachs and its just has Apple's name on it

Comment

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
First, the confusion here isn't good for the customers or Waters Hardy.

Second, it bothers me a little that this error happened in an automated billing system-- it feels like a symptom of a bigger problem and bigger problems in billing systems are bad...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.