Apple Card not supported on 1st gen Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Joesg, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Joesg macrumors member

Joesg

I wasn't able to add my Apple Card to Apple Pay in my Watch, so I called support. After about 3 hours of back and forth with various techs and two case escalations, a senior technician informed me that the new Apple Card is incompatible with the 1st gen Apple Watch. There is no information about Watch compatibility anywhere so I thought this needed to be shared.

I'm disappointed in Apple that my only option is to buy a new Watch...

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

This has been posted before. Somewhere I read that it's supposedly to be fixed with a software update.
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-card-on-apple-watch.2191479/page-2#post-27621993

3. Dwood1970 macrumors regular

Apple’s website says you need the latest version of WatchOS and the first gen only goes up to 4.3.2 I believe. This may be causing the issues. Maybe they will fix that.

4. Suttree macrumors regular

Suttree

This should not come as a surprise to anyone. It’s Apple. Wanna use the Apple Card on your Apple Watch? Pay up. Of couese, they are going to lie and say there are ALL sorts of technical reasons they can’t, meanwhile every other credit card has no issue being used with first-gen Apple Watches. Tim Cook’s Apple.

5. MrUNIMOG macrumors 6502

MrUNIMOG

duh. :rolleyes:

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Except the Apple card is a bit different. Not sure if you have one yet, but you can actually change the card's physical number on demand if you believe the number has been compromised. Normal credit cards would otherwise issue you a new card. Perhaps this is one reason that a more recent version of watchOS is required (to handle the card's ability to do this).

Just a theory. But like was noted above, perhaps a fix is coming.

7. Suttree macrumors regular

Suttree

I don’t see Apple offering a “fix.” It can’t be called a fix when it was never an intention to offer this ability with first-gen watches in the first place. I see Apple withholding this feature to encourage OS updating, which can only happen if you update your hardware. With money.

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68020

sjinsjca

That's not what I was told, by Apple. But, we'll see.

9. Suttree macrumors regular

Suttree

Fingers crossed--BUT--elsewhere I read comments on Twitter where people were told by Apple support that the first-gen is unsupported by choice. And in the past I’ve gotten mixed messages from Apple’s customer service.

Agent 1: Yes, you can do this.
    Agent 2: No, you can’t do that. I don’t know why Agent 1 said you could.
    Agent 1: Yes, you can absolutely do that. I don’t know why Agent 2 is talking about.

10. MVMNT macrumors regular

At least you can use your Apple Card to buy a new watch...

11. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Since the first developer betas for WatchOS 5 were released, it was made clear that the Series 0 Watch would not support said OS. There were plenty of threads on this site about it.

And based on articles, Apple Card requires WatchOS 5.3 so it was clear that the Series 0 watches would not support it (at least at launch).

12. Allyance macrumors 6502

Allyance

I have a series 1 and my Aplle card does not work on it. I am waiting to see what they announce in September, I will get new watch either way towards the end of September, mainly for the improved heart monitoring and fall alerts.

13. MrUNIMOG macrumors 6502

MrUNIMOG

Your Series 1 supports watchOS 5 and 6 so Apple Card should definitely work on it.