Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can't say that I'm surprised but yet I think letting nest slip between their fingers was a mistake, especially with their homekit stuff that so far hasn't really taken the world by storm

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

thomasfxlt58

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
I'm really waiting for some homekit products that have great reviews. Especially in the camera department. I've got Dropcams and a Nest Cam, because they work well, and they have better reviews than any other camera. I just hate that they won't be compatible with anything else when homekit really hits its stride. Same goes for a thermostat. I don't even have a smart thermostat yet because Nest has the best reviews, but I don't want to buy one that isn't homekit compatible.

Same thing is happening with CarPlay. Still no products made that have excellent reviews. This is what happens when Apple isn't making the hardware.

Isn't that a great point about the hardware! Apple has a habit of using a company like Ecobee until it get it's own product to market. Would they do a "Beats" style aquistiion here? Maybe.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
Isn't that a great point about the hardware! Apple has a habit of using a company like Ecobee until it get it's own product to market. Would they do a "Beats" style aquistiion here? Maybe.
Remember the Motorola ROKR that had iTunes built in? Yeah, that was probably just to hold people off until their own phone was finished.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Has anyone taken a look at the Nest with fresh eyes of 2015? It is very dated, lacking in features, and Google doesn't seem to care about it, IMO. I recently gave my Nest to my parents, and my mom has a hard time with the actual thermostat. She never had a non-touch iPod, so she doesn't quite get the interface. I completely understand that after looking at it with fresh eyes. She just uses the app to control it.

I'm keeping an eye open to see what comes out, but the Ecobee appears to be leading the pack currently.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
They suddenly and finally started staying connected after a software and firmware update to the E3's. This was after almost 6 months of being told they were either too far away (25ft?) or to replace the batteries. I neither moved them or replaced the batteries. I've gone almost a month now without a disconnect. My point here is that Ecobee development is slow and very veiled in their customer communication. Just be cautious. There's a lot to like about the product but there's a lot wrong right now too.

well after a year (1.5 years I think?) of the nest I have similar complaints. An obtuse app (that even replicates the damn dial), frustrating settings, etc. I guess Ill find out if the sensor will work soon enough :)

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Yeah superior. My Nest started randomly changing my temperature and turning itself on after the last "upgrade", using up excess electricity in AC. Thanks aholes.

Was that the upgrade that enabled the hidden camera used for tracking occupant habits? (Yeah, that's a joke, but I wouldn't be too surprised if something like that is rolled out in future devices, to provide better and more targeted advertising, helping customers with their busy lives.)

Reactions: 5105973

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Whats' next to go

I don't see any other stores doing what Apple is doin' ..

Must be "The Apple Way" Step away from the light.

Last edited:

RabbitLuvr

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Kansas City
I was going to get the Ecobee3 for the homekit integration, but went with Nest instead. Google offered a nice discount for the Nest thermostat when my Google Fiber internet was installed a few weeks ago. As I was also in the market for a new webcam, I went with NestCam. Just installed the new version of Nest Protect. Am quite happy with all of them so far, and don't feel HomeKit integration would benefit me.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I don't know who makes the decisions at Apple but more and more they come across as a protectionist company - deeply worrying for the future.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
That Jobs quote has nothing to do with any recent event. Apple has done this with many other things that have no connection to Google.

It would have been funnier if you said something along the lines of "Apple decided to turn up the heat, then removed the thermostat."

That quote was targeted against Google for entering the mobile phone industry years ago.

Google is getting into the smart home industry, as Apple has been as well. Apple removing Nest products due to Google buying Nest, is akin to Apple removing Google Maps as the standard map provider due to Google getting into smartphone OS'

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Whats' next to go

I don't see any other stores doing what Apple is doin' ..

Must be "The Apple Way" Step away from the light.

Other stores have never done what Apple did either. They allowed competitor "things" to be sold in their store. I cannot walk into a Nike store and buy Adidas shoes. I cannot walk into the Fossil store and buy a Michael Kor purse for my wife. Just the way life works.

If Google really wants to sell these things, they can pay for the storefront.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
HomeKit is still so new, I don't think anyone knows how well it will or won't do yet? Only the very first wave of HomeKit compatible accessories are just now hitting the store shelves. And in many cases, those of us who ARE interested in it still have to go through a process of removing and reselling our used gear that's not compatible, before we can replace it.

(EG. I invested in EcoBee thermostats about a year ago. They're great, but I want to resell them before I spend more money on the HomeKit compatible versions they released this month.)

Also, not ever having used a Nest thermostat, I admit I could be wrong.... But when I did my research last year, I went with EcoBee instead due to so many issues Nest users were having. (There were a lot of reports of electronic board failures in them, causing them to get stuck in the "on" position, leaving someone's furnace or A/C constantly running, for example. That's a really bad mode of failure for one.)

Can't say that I'm surprised but yet I think letting nest slip between their fingers was a mistake, especially with their homekit stuff that so far hasn't really taken the world by storm

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
HomeKit is still so new, I don't think anyone knows how well it will or won't do yet?
Of course but its been in Apple's pipeline for a while, and that's where the Nest comes in. They could have had that roll out along with the homekit stuff. Its been out for a little while and didn't apple provide the API/SDK before that? I just don't see a lot of excitement and/or products.

AppStoreNerd

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2015
Good to see Apple dropping a Google product.

That said, I don't see HomeKit going anywhere, either. Like the Apple Watch, HomeKit is one strictly for the gadget-obsessed, lovely people though they may be.
Its people like you who makes the current state of technology a nightmare.
guess what Apple only need u for your money nothing else

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Interesting comments.
I'm not so sure? Right now, I live in a 2 story house (4 bedrooms) that's a little over 100 years old. I put EcoBee Smart SI thermostats upstairs and downstairs, controlling 2 different heat pumps for both floors.

They have no way to communicate with each other, but not sure that makes any difference - as you don't necessarily care what's going on downstairs, if you're upstairs and trying to make sure that floor is the temperature you prefer, or the other way around.

What *does* happen is you get some fluctuation in the temperature between floors, based on what's happening on the opposite floor.... Warm or cool air will travel via the staircase, for example. I'm just not sure I see how one of these thermostats would handle things any better by having that ability to know what the other one was doing? Since they can't actually prevent the airflow between floors, all they can do is look at the temperature in their respective zone and work with the central heating/cooling unit to adjust it towards your target. (If they talked to each other, I guess one could order the other one to turn its central air handler on/off, but I imagine that would become more complicated than it's worth? People would get frustrated when they turn a thermostat up because they want the A/C to shut off, but it doesn't appear to respond, thanks to the other thermostat overriding your request.)

I do agree with you, however, that EcoBee appears to be a really small company that may be growing faster than it can keep up. When I first bought their products, I had to RMA one that was defective (couldn't trigger my A/C to come on, even though it was wired properly and was controlling everything else fine). That process was a little painful, as I already had the defective unit registered to my account, with no way to remove it again myself. Had to get their tech support involved to delete it for me, etc. after convincing them it really was malfunctioning, and not just "user error" with the wiring. At that time, I was told a lot of EcoBees had quality control problems - but were great units when you got a good one. I've found that to be true. Great when they work right, but signs of poor assembly quality consistent with small companies trying to launch products on a budget.

I own 4 Ecobee3 stats. I had used Nest stats in a previous home. I really didn't have a problem with the Nest stats. When Google bought Nest and I relocated, I decided to go with a more Apple-centric product. It appeared that Ecobee was headed that direction last fall. I purchased 4 E3's last December. These early units have been abandoned for Homekit compatible units now. The upgrade path offered wasn't very good, but that's another story. There are significant differences in how these stats work. The Ecobee's do not communicate with one another in a multi-zone installation, whereas the Nest do. My experience with both tells me that the Nest approach is better for multi-zone. Ecobee has a very good back-end tracking and performance tool called HomeIQ. Unfortunately, it's having server issues for a number of weeks with no apparent end in sight. This raises my final issue with Ecobee. They are very vague in addressing support requests. Often their responses are dismissive and lack any meaningfull intent to address real issues with their hardware and software. I suspect they are riding the Apple-wave and are experiencing rapid growth issues in software and firmware development. I agree with the comment above about Nest haveing superior design. I think that's true. While I don't have any issue with how the E3 looks, the Nest has superior build quality. HomeKit is a bit of a gimmick right now relative to the Ecobee stat but I suspect that will change with iOS9 and the evolution of Homekit. My recommendation to anyone buying more than 1 smart thermostat is to wait and let the home automation thing settle a bit. I suspect these devices will begin to commoditize and the price competition will make the investment significantly more reasonable. $79-$100 for devices like this would be my guess within a year or 2. One trick pony manufacturers like Ecobee will be under stress from vertically integrated companies. I would imagine they will either be aquired or they'll have to quickly expand their product line. I suspect the latter is a difficult path without raising some serious cash and doing big-time hiring. They certainly do not have the development staff right now to even handle the product they have.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Good riddance. Google pokes its nose enough into everyone's personal business. :mad:

That being said, living in a large country house remodeled for maximum energy efficiency, I'd love to have a smart home system. I have multi-zoned heating and cooling with two high efficiency furnaces and three high efficiency air conditioners, as well as electric radiant heat in the basement, so adjusting the temperature currently requires me making trips up and down two sets of stairs to reach different thermostats.

As for lighting, the previous owners of this house remodeled and put in more lights and switches on top of what the original builder did. Adjusting lighting is another trip through the house visiting countless light switches. The only reason it's bearable is that they duplicated all of the major switches so that you don't have to cross an entire hallway or room to turn the lights on or off. Still, controlling it all from one access point would be lovely at bedtime when I'm starting to fall asleep on my feet. Ah well, it's good exercise and can appease my Apple Watch when it bugs me to meet my stand goals. :rolleyes:

:eek: And I have to admit, there's a tiny paranoid part of me that's afraid of the machines taking over and trapping me in a Skynet scenario. I have read and watched way too much sci-fi over the course of my life. :confused:

I am really reluctant to give up my 23 year old car that has hand crank windows and old fashioned locks. It requires extra effort but there's something reassuring knowing I control all of it and nobody can remotely control my doors and windows. Or really anything else on my old car. Except for those pesky abducting aliens of course. :p

(Sorry, I'm in the mood for smiley faces this morning)

thomasfxlt58

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
Of course but its been in Apple's pipeline for a while, and that's where the Nest comes in. They could have had that roll out along with the homekit stuff. Its been out for a little while and didn't apple provide the API/SDK before that? I just don't see a lot of excitement and/or products.

Ecobee went to market with the E3 while all this Homekit spec stuff was still in progress. I think they gambled that the early run stats would be upgradeable and then Apple dropped the chipset requirement on them. I'm stuck with the early run stats and a very expensive upgrade if I go Homekit. My bad. All Homekit does for the E3 right now is allow you to tell it to raise or lower the temp with Siri. That's a pretty lame reason to buy at this time. Like I said earlier, I'd hold off.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Interesting comments.
I'm not so sure? Right now, I live in a 2 story house (4 bedrooms) that's a little over 100 years old. I put EcoBee Smart SI thermostats upstairs and downstairs, controlling 2 different heat pumps for both floors.

They have no way to communicate with each other, but not sure that makes any difference - as you don't necessarily care what's going on downstairs, if you're upstairs and trying to make sure that floor is the temperature you prefer, or the other way around.

What *does* happen is you get some fluctuation in the temperature between floors, based on what's happening on the opposite floor.... Warm or cool air will travel via the staircase, for example. I'm just not sure I see how one of these thermostats would handle things any better by having that ability to know what the other one was doing? Since they can't actually prevent the airflow between floors, all they can do is look at the temperature in their respective zone and work with the central heating/cooling unit to adjust it towards your target. (If they talked to each other, I guess one could order the other one to turn its central air handler on/off, but I imagine that would become more complicated than it's worth? People would get frustrated when they turn a thermostat up because they want the A/C to shut off, but it doesn't appear to respond, thanks to the other thermostat overriding your request.)

I do agree with you, however, that EcoBee appears to be a really small company that may be growing faster than it can keep up. When I first bought their products, I had to RMA one that was defective (couldn't trigger my A/C to come on, even though it was wired properly and was controlling everything else fine). That process was a little painful, as I already had the defective unit registered to my account, with no way to remove it again myself. Had to get their tech support involved to delete it for me, etc. after convincing them it really was malfunctioning, and not just "user error" with the wiring. At that time, I was told a lot of EcoBees had quality control problems - but were great units when you got a good one. I've found that to be true. Great when they work right, but signs of poor assembly quality consistent with small companies trying to launch products on a budget.
Oh wow, I was just making my post and then saw yours. Two Marylanders with the same use case scenario! In my case, if I had a system that could let me access via one control panel ALL of my existing thermostats, I'd set them all to the same temperature to avoid the fluctuations you're talking about. Currently I have to go up and down stairs to do that manually. Because there is a lot of air exchange between the ground and upper floor of my house thanks to having a two-story foyer, I can't leave them set at different temps or one of the hvac systems will be strained.

There's a furnace and a/c in my attic that serves the upper floor and then standard dual a/c units outdoors and a basement furnace serving the ground floor and basement. As well as electric baseboard heaters in the basement. The previous owners completely redid the hvac system, siding, and insulation in this house. The result is our heating and cooling bills are lower than even what we had in previous homes almost half this one's size!

thomasfxlt58

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
I
Interesting comments.

In my 4-stat Nest installation, my utilities bills went down. In my 4-stat Ecobee installation, my utility bills have gone up. I think the connected awareness in a 3 level home has some efficiency magic lost in the Ecobee environment. That said, there's lots of good things about the E3

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Hmm, I could buy a Nest from the Apple Store and pay nearly 10% sales tax, or buy a Nest from Amazon and pay 0% sales tax.

No big loss.

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
My Nest is still going strong. It paid for itself in the first 6 months with energy savings. I integrated into various apps I use and they control it when needed.

I don't care for what Google did with the API. I use other approaches.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
You make Nest's point by your example: in both cases it improves safety. Automatic windows are safer while driving (I bet you'll tell me that you stop to wind down windows)

I don't think that automatic windows are safer across the board, I think there are trade-offs each way. The actual act of hand rolling down a window isn't really disruptive, and definitely not something that requires pulling over the car. The handles are large and intuitive, whereas the electronic ones are smaller and slightly less obvious. What's disruptive to me is when I want to crack the window down and it insists on rolling all the way down, and then I have to bring it up and monitor it to now give the crack. This "feature" probably exists so that people who are already stopped, at a drive-through, can be spared the incredible physical activity of pressing a button for 5-10 seconds. The only value of automatic windows is being able to control the rear windows. For that we incur the risk of drowning if the car goes into water and the wires or motors short out. Or the eventuality of it all breaking down after 10-15 years of use.

With home automation, I like the idea of secure monitoring, but don't like the possibility of remote control. If some light stays on a little while longer, that's a small price to pay to avoid greater problems. As for automatically starting a washing machine, I would never run one without someone present. Again, saving pennies on electricity will never break even after some misplaced utensil thrashes some spinning part for an hour, or the clothes washer bangs against the wall for half an hour. Or anything floods.

As for using WiFi... Sure, if it also supports cellular.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.