Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
If talking about the federal government, then I would definitely agree with Tim on that one. Lets make the American government thinner. WAY THINNER!

So thin it is transparent. Oh wait, that was Obama's failed promise. How about protecting our privacy, oh wait, that was another Obama's failed promise. Guess there is not really any downside with Trump at this point. But we'll see. He seems like the kind of person that gets things done other than stoking angry mobs with paid protesters.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Really? Are you seriously asking this question?????
I'll ask. Where are the quotes? Where is the proof? Trump speaks as a normal person. He says things in the moment that are the language of normal people, not a smooth talking political person. That's how people have flipped out and incorrectly labeled him.

So, again, what direct proof can anyone provide that he's a proven racist, mysoginist, homophobe, etc? Concrete evidence, we will wait.

Hillary's mentor was part of the KKK. That's pretty concerning. What's Trump's smoking gun again?

Oh, the wall? Is that it? His wife is a LEGAL immigrant and he simply wants other immigrants to follow the law. So that's not it...

Turn off CNN and open your mind.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Not at all, I think Trudeau could be a good prime minister but he hasn't actually done much of anything. The only politician I can't stand is Kathleen Wynne, and if she wins again I will be extremely bitter

Wynne should have lost the previous provincial election by a landslide... it was the conservatives election to lose... and they managed to do just that! Shows the ( low ) quality of conservative leadership at the time.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Pay attention, his children are part of this transition team. Once he takes office, they will not play a part in the administration, so he has said. It is really sad that you don't see that he is surrounding himself with the people he trusts, family. Who are themselves successful and already used to this kind of environment. He has no friends in Washington, not Democrats, not Republicans. He does have a bunch of people just waiting to assist in his failure.

I feel so sad that you cannot see the value in trusting your family and would not include them in the most important activities in your life if they were qualified. So sad.

So what's going to be the excuse next spring when they are still around? I'm guessing this will just be a 4 year transition, right? Do you really think those kids are going to play major roles in the administration? He can't have it both ways. the conflict of interest is just too great. If they are running his businesses, they need to be completely separate.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Given the difference in the personal views. Tim shouldn't have even considered being in that room with him in. Oh wait money is involved, amazing how quick your personal views change when money is the subject.

Reactions: mw360

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Ah to be a young naive voter again....

Saying stuff is easy...actually making change is hard.

Our new PE is already moonwalking away from the stuff he said he would do...and he hasn't even been inaugurated yet.

I am naive, but people who aren't young or naive have taught me that you should set audacious goals, you should aim high, you shouldn't sit around having meetings about when to have meetings, but go out and get things done. Seize the day.

Elon Musk, for example, asked a perfectly rational question of rocket engineers "is there a hard limit, or could we build better rockets than everyone else?"

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I really don't care what Cook looks like in a picture. All I care about is that he pull is head out of his &*&*^*^& and focus on Apple, not political correctness, not the culture, not hate, not fear, just be open and accepting. Something liberals rant about doing, but somehow never seem to be actually able to do.

Like it or not, keeping a good base of Apple loyalists depends on political correctness.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This says it all really... View attachment 678143

You seem to have an agenda. Tim cook can be looking anywhere across the table - the picture shows nothing but a cherry picked moment to try and draw conclusions that match your agenda.

Does this picture make it look like Trump is taking orders from the person at the head of the table? Everyone is looking at that guy, NOT Trump. Trump can't lead. Is that what I should take from this picture? lol

IMG_2626-780x585.jpg

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
We are so lucky to have had the innovative immigrants we have who have made the US their home, and I hope Trump realizes that.

Albert Einsteen was a Jewish refugee.

Elon Musk is from South Africa.

The US's unusual success in the 20th century was in part due to the talent we attracted from around the world, including groups that were maligned at the time (and who still are to some extent). We have not done a good job in electing Trump at sending a message that the US is still the right place for the world's most talented to work. People who come to the US and set down roots are Americans, meaning their success is a shared success.

US' success was largely due to the fact that the rest of the world was basically destroyed after WWII. We were the main suppliers of basically everything.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I'm sure Apple would love it if Trump made decisions and changes that meant they could confidently make more products in the USA.

The problem is, if Trump is only definitely going to be in power for 4 years (maybe 8) it's a hard sell to possibly upset all your overseas suppliers and factories, relationships that have been cultivated and developed over decades in some cases, to make him happy for those 4 years. The deal would have to be so spectacular for Apple that then people would (rightly, in my view) wonder just why one of the world's most valuable companies (who sell inordinately expensive products and are sitting on a cash pile so large that one would require oxygen masks to breathe at the summit) would get to pay almost nothing in tax while ordinary people trying their hardest struggle to make ends meet.
The only thing thing that TIM wants from Trump is to give Apple a one time Tax break to bring home the billions of dollars they are keeping offshore.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
And not sure what you're defining as "corrupt".

How about violating the emolument clause in the US constitution? Trump, as owner of his companies, is directly and personally accepting payments from foreign states. This isn't a theoretical problem, this is literally what the US constitution says presidents shall not do. The Founding Fathers put that clause in there specifically to ensure the president cannot be corrupted my financial interests of foreign states.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
Pay attention, his children are part of this transition team. Once he takes office, they will not play a part in the administration, so he has said. It is really sad that you don't see that he is surrounding himself with the people he trusts, family. Who are themselves successful and already used to this kind of environment. He has no friends in Washington, not Democrats, not Republicans. He does have a bunch of people just waiting to assist in his failure.

I feel so sad that you cannot see the value in trusting your family and would not include them in the most important activities in your life if they were qualified. So sad.

Omg - are you serious? really?

this was not a transition meeting
his children should not be on his transition team because they're running his businesses.
he has no friends - really? - a billionaire with no friends or allies - how about all the people who supported him?
If you're running a family business then fine by all means surround yourself with your family. if you're having a back yard BBQ - by all means invite your family. If your running the most powerful country on the planet then leave the kiddies (who are running your businesses) at home.

your response is completely over the top ridiculous.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
How about violating the emolument clause in the US constitution? Trump, as owner of his companies, is directly and personally accepting payments from foreign states. This isn't a theoretical problem, this is literally what the US constitution says presidents shall not do. The Founding Fathers put that clause in there specifically to ensure the president cannot be corrupted my financial interests of foreign states.

Not a problem until he's sworn in, at least from a legal point of view.
[doublepost=1481815831][/doublepost]
this was not a transition meeting

What meeting was it then?

Reactions: spinnyd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.