Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
That's why Tim Cook and these other celebrities are such hypocrites. They don't let every single person that shows up at their mansion in their house. So why should we do it as a country?

The same thing goes for the border wall. These celebrities live in mansions surrounded by 15 foot walls and then complain when Trump proposes a border wall.
That's because of the Hypocrisy of The Left. They believe in acceptance, they promote fairness, they tout inclusion and doing the right thing.... as long as it falls in line with what they believe. The liberal motto is "everyone should have a voice unless that voice is contrary to what we believe". You're allowed freedom of speech as long as it is approved speech.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
That's why Tim Cook and these other celebrities are such hypocrites. They don't let every single person that shows up at their mansion in their house. So why should we do it as a country?

The same thing goes for the border wall. These celebrities live in mansions surrounded by 15 foot walls and then complain when Trump proposes a border wall.
Dumbest argument in this thread so far.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I think it's important to find out who's actually coming into your country. If you let in every single person blindly,

Hahaha what? You think the US currently admits all immigrants blindly? It's EXTREMELY difficult to legally immigrate to the US or even get a green card. And they are already extensively vetted.

Cook's letter is not whiny. He's doing what a CEO should do, expressing solidarity with his employees and their families who may be ripped apart because of this executive order. No, that's not an exaggeration.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
To come here there is a 2-year background check and investigation process.

This is exactly why we have a racist, thin-skinned idiot running out country. Ignorance. "Blindly letting immigrants in?" It's a 12-24 month process with vetting from multiple government agencies and they do everything they can to prevent people with the motives enter our country. Good grief:(

http://www.heritage.org/research/commentary/2015/12/how-the-refugee-vetting-process-works
Clearly it isn't enough. Because here in Europe, they do almost the same thing. Not sure whether it's a 2-year background check, but they do background checks. Yet, we still face terrorism (France, Germany, Belgium mainly). I mean, where did it go wrong???

In my own country, the Netherlands, we even have a special program to prepare immigrants to live in our country (yes I know, it's not unique at all, just mentioning it), but they refuse to adapt to our values. Haven't had an terror attack here from muslims, but we do have a lot of immigrants and Islamic people who are literally a threat to many people living here. They create havoc at the asylum centers, disrespect our freedom of religion, sexual orientation and so forth. It's a disgrace what these people are doing to our - and many other countries. The worst thing is that we could do something about it. What Trump did wouldn't even be necessary, you know. They just have to do a much better job on finding the bad guys. And while I make it sound like that's an easy thing to do, I have no doubt they actually CAN do more than they do now. They just refuse to take any action.

Hahaha what? You think the US currently admits all immigrants blindly? It's EXTREMELY difficult to legally immigrate to the US or even get a green card. And they are already extensively vetted.

Cook's letter is not whiny. He's doing what a CEO should do, expressing solidarity with his employees and their families who may be ripped apart because of this executive order. No, that's not an exaggeration.
Clearly not enough then, that I can tell you.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
My Lord, reading all the different comments here, we are going to be one big EMBATTLED country for the next 4 years!

Reactions: Aldaris

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
1. This is an internal memo. You weren't supposed to see it (unless you are an employee)
2. Many people on Twitter were asking "why isn't Tim Cook weighing in on this?". And then there's you "why is Tim Cook weighing in on this?". He can't please everyone. Similarly, why do you have to comment on Tim's statements? At least Tim had a valid reason to send out a memo (his employees were affected by this outcome).
3. Let him do whatever the hell he wants.
[doublepost=1485642640][/doublepost]
it wasn't public. it was an internal memo.
I'm not commenting on the issue, but how likely is it that Mr. Cook didn't know this would become public? I'm sure he composed it in such a way because he expected it to do so.

Reactions: Cineplex

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
You called Tim Cook a Liberal.... and yet he donates to the republican party.

So in your world he is a liberal.... but he supports the republican party.....

Although Apple has donated to both parties, they weren't equal portions.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Scary that people say "focus on products not politics."

Couldn't that be said for anyone? Why don't you all just focus on your jobs and not comment on politics at all?
The thing here, is that Tim Cook should be leading his company. Because what he has released in the past few years (especially in 2016) is a total disappointment to many people. Not to me personally, but from what I read at Macrumors every day, people are clearly not happy about Apple these days. And I think that's a direct result of Cook not talking about his products, but about politics, social issues, the environment etc. If he wants to talk about those issues, he should resign and instead get a career in politics.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
You called Tim Cook a Liberal.... and yet he donates to the republican party.

So in your world he is a liberal.... but he supports the republican party.....

Tim Cook is a liberal. He is socially liberal. The only way in which he is not is from a business standpoint. Hmm.... why I wonder. Oh yeah, fiscally conservative policy is better for his bottom line and his personal wealth. However, take a look at Apple's track record on social issues and ballot issues, in California and nationally during his leadership.

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
I see no problem in trying to get a grip on what's happening in America, it's not forever and in the end will be better for everyone citizen and immigrant

Reactions: malko and Aldaris

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Like it or not, immigration and refugee acceptance is out of control. American is fundamentally broke (no money). We do not have the money to continue to provide free homes, groceries, iPhones, etc. to anyone that shows up at the door regardless of how humane it seems. Its time for the free ride to stop or at least be reduced to the really needy. I think that is what this pause is all about.

The previous administration wanted as many people as possible that were totally dependent on government for everything. It had nothing to do with compassion, and everything to do with votes. It was how they got elected. The middle class is bing sucked down the drain in order to provide poverty class support to everyone that wants it. That is not good for any of us natural citizens. Almost every other country in the world limits immigration and refugees and the ones that don't are in real trouble right now.
The middle class is broke because the top 1% keep increasing their share of the country's wealth at the expense of workers. Blaming immigrants and the poor is a diversion tactic that billionaires (like Trump and his cabinet picks) use to distract the middle class from the real cause of wealth inequality. Meanwhile, they will introduce laws, like cutting taxes for the rich and corporations, and chipping away at public schools and affordable healthcare, that will cause the middle class to sink even lower. The irony is that the uneducated portion of the middle class is who voted them in, all because Trump was able to take advantage of their fear of immigrants and Muslims. The whole thing is like a tragi-farce.

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
Just focus on your products Tim. No need to drag Apple into every political issue.
They are involved, some of their employees will be affected by this, as are some of Googles, as are some of facebooks as are some probably most universities. It affects green card holders returning to what they thought was their home, it affects people just transiting through the U.S an other country.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.