Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
This is actually a huge deal, for a lot of reasons.

Let's consider that most people that get battery replacements are for phones that are multiple years old. For example, the iPhone 8 (which still has software support).

Currently, battery replacements for the iPhone 8 are $49. The value of the device is around $150 used. This means that, to replace the battery, you're paying 33% of the value of the device.

Let's consider the iPhone 14 Pro, in 2028. The value would be around the same as the iPhone 8 is now, but battery replacements will hold at $99. This means you'll be spending over 50% of the value of the phone to replace the battery.

Thus, many people will just get a new device. This brings many fundamental problems:

- Creates eWaste by additional upgrades
- Prompts users to get cheaper third-party batteries which can vary in quality and safety
- Prompts users to misleadingly get AppleCare+ to subsidize this cost, when battery replacements are typically necessary AFTER the coverage period of the insurance.

Financially sensitive move by Apple and ****** for the consumer.

Reactions: JCCL and sorgo †

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Product Strategy in Europe is a massive fail, iPhones prices in Europe are insanely high, they increased average $100,00 to $150,00 Wille in US remains the same price, Apple costumers are furious and boycotting upgrades.

Most customers don't know and don't care that prices have increased in line with currency weakness across Europe, and rampant inflation that only now the ECB shows any interest in tackling. Almost nobody will be boycotting upgrades due to price. For Apple customers, pricing is largely irrelevant. Apple customers want the best-of-breed products that only Apple can create.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Hey @contacos - Thanks for the response.
I guess I will just run my current device into the ground and then upgrade to whatever is around at that point.
Thanks again much appreciated.

They still replace batteries in older devices to a point - something like an iPhone 3G is out of luck, but newer phones would be fine.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Reasonable price considering its fairly complicated (say it takes 20 minutes for someone who knows it) + battery.
Sure, we could prob outsource it all to some slave labour in china and get it done for half the price, but that's not something I would prefer.
Tim Cook is angry because you didn't consider the new price to be Cheap. But still Apple loves you and as a reward will offer you iPhone XR for $2000 as a chance to prove your loyalty fealty.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: alexiaa

root42

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2011
Has anyone else noticed that the battery health, as reported by the Settings app, degrades steadily for a couple of years but then slows/stops at around 81 or 82%? Seems to have happened for both the iPhones I've used in recent years.
Yes, I have NEVER seen an iPhone with less than 80% battery capacity, and yet the phone will just shut off because battery voltage will drop since the battery is worn out. They compute an arbitrary number that's supposed to represent the remaining capacity in mAh, however the battery is already so worn that its discharge curve and ability to provide current is way less than the 80% figure.

Reactions: S G

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Most customers don't know and don't care that prices have increased in line with currency weakness across Europe, and rampant inflation that only now the ECB shows any interest in tackling. Almost nobody will be boycotting upgrades due to price. For Apple customers, pricing is largely irrelevant. Apple customers want the best-of-breed products that only Apple can create.

Pricing is irrelevant? Do you think only the Kardashians of this world are buying Apple products?

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
I'm not sure why people are surprised by an increase. You know we are experiencing rampant inflation right? Even tho they didn't raise the phone price this year...I am sure next year they will...or you will see them raise it in other places, such as this.

Reactions: opiapr

alexiaa

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2020
Europe
119 Euro lol ...
That must be with taxes added.
C45385E8-728C-42C6-8D0C-5788023D6DBD.jpeg

Reactions: Reverend Benny

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
A huge majority of working people are not getting inflation matching pay rises but yet companies are constantly increasing their prices to combat inflation rises, companies who are able to absord costs increases into their profits but they wont, not even to help out customers during this unprecedented time of inflation rises and cost of living rises.

How many millions/billions of $$$ in profit does Apple make every month and yet they cannot be bothered to absorb cost increases so battery change price can stay at $69 even for a little while until everything gets back to normal.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I think it is safe to say that $100 for a mobile phone battery replacement is a total rip off for the consumer and represents, more than anything, a failure in Apple design to allow the customer to change their battery without professional assistance.

cesko

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2009
Canada
Quebec owners: if your iphone is past its normal or AppleCare warranty, the replacement will be free if you invoke the QC legal warranty. Apple is pretty good at respecting this but you must mention it.

bobbygeo

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2021
Has anyone else noticed that the battery health, as reported by the Settings app, degrades steadily for a couple of years but then slows/stops at around 81 or 82%? Seems to have happened for both the iPhones I've used in recent years.
My 12 Pro has been stuck at 83% battery health for probably a year now, and I've had the phone since Nov 2020

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
you just know that during one of their conferences someone brought up the idea of giving away the phones for free, and having everything be subscription-based, along with limiting how long the hardware "works" until it has to be repaired at a premium.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.