Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
This is for brick and mortar stores only. I'd wager that if online sales were included, that the percent would drop significantly. I'd even say it would be less then 50%.

I think that is a case of getting your maths wrong.

Say they counted 1000 computers, and 91% were Macs. That's 910 vs. 90.

You'd need at least 910 PCs to get the Mac share down to 50%. In other words, you are claiming that only 90 out of 910 PCs in the >$1000 segment are sold in brick and mortar stores.

I don't think so.

It would be really nice if they reported what market share sub-$1000 computers have overall to put things in perspective. But perhaps that blows the headline drama? :)

There are numbers out about Apple's total unit share. The point is not so much Apple's enormous market share in the >$1000 market (which they could increase by changing the MacBook from $999 to $1001), but the average selling price. Apple makes 3 times more dollars per unit sold than its competitors. So if you take the market share in dollars instead of units, then Apple is in the top 3.

I love Apple, but i don't know how they can hope to continue being successful without addressing the lower end market more. :apple:

It works now. Apple makes 20 times more per computer than Acer (which is actually about 20 times better than Gateway and eMachines were). Apple defines success by profits, not by units sold.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I love Apple, but i don't know how they can hope to continue being successful without addressing the lower end market more. :apple:

I don't know how Dell or HP can be successful without making any profit on each sale.

The problem for the PC makers is that for the most part they are commodities. What is the difference between a Dell vs. an HP vs. a Lenovo vs. and Acer? Not much. Hence, competition almost purely on price. Hence no profit. Microeconomics 101. The difference between PC vendors is descending to the level of the difference betwen potato vendors.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
That is a huge share but surely thats because most other laptops are between $500-$1000? Anyway good job apple :apple: !!! And i'm part of that share yay!!!:D

True, but your slightly missing the point. It's not about other PC's costing under $1000, it's about people willing to pay more to get better from Apple as the PC world has a lot of undesirables for under $1000.;)

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
This just proves that macs are overpriced garbage!

(at least some people will try to spin this news that way)

I would definitely not say they are garbage, but how can anyone (besides Apple themselves) think this is a stat to be proud of. All this is saying is that Macs cost too much. This would likely turn the average consumer off.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Joe Wilcox:

"... blah blah blah ... Windows notebook ASP was $520, or $569 when removing all those nasty, margin-sucking netbooks. Mac laptops: $1,400... blah blah blah ..."

What's with the "nasty" comment? Fine, don't compete with the Netbook market, Apple - but how about keeping a short leash on your ignorant fanboys, hmmm? Netbooks are great devices for what they do and were designed to do. Period.

That Apple chooses to retain low market share in exchange for high profit margins is their decision. Whereas other companies with higher market share are doing ok with lower profit margins. I think there can be a corporate balance struck that meets everyone's desire to make money and provide a quality product for consumers.

Unfortunately, most Fanboys don't think. They follow.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Originally Posted by dernhelm
Huh? I mean there are plenty of >$1000 offerings from Alienware, Toshiba, IBM, Dell, etc. It isn't like they're competing only against themselves.

However, most of the brands you mention are bought online and thus are not included in this report.

Oh, so all this is really saying is that most of the computers that Best Buy sells are under $1000, right?

I don't get the spin that this means world domination for high-priced Apples.

And I hope no crazy person says that it means that MS IS DEAD! :D

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
Wow! 91% is quite impressive.

Thinking about it now... I know one person with a Dell laptop what was probably over a $1000 bucks.

I know not one... except one colleague and myself (we both are the exception because we have company provided macBook pro's), and this includes hundred of folks at work... Every one has a cheap, slow, low memory $800 *top.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I know not one... except one colleague and myself (we both are the exception because we have company provided macBook pro's), and this includes hundred of folks at work... Every one has a cheap, slow, low memory $800 *top.
They have an $800, Core 2 Duo, with 4 GB of RAM?

How much notebook do they need?

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
PC machines' average price has been below $1000 for about 10 years now. All of Apples machines (except 1 laptop) are ABOVE $1000. No, I'm not even counting the Mini because it doesn't come with a keyboard and mouse. For people who like PCs, you can get a pretty good one for $650 with a monitor...$800 you can get a fantastic pc....if you need to go over $900, you're probably a diehard gamer or are looking for the bleeding edge CPU/hard drive size/monitor combination. Don't call me a Mac hater, either.

So this news isn't even news...nor a surprise.

In other news, Porsche claims 91% of marketshare of cars priced over $70,000....Rolex claims 91% of marketshare of watches priced over $8,000.

-Eric

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
If you are a software developer, do you sell software to people that have money or people that don't have money. I doubt that Mac users are only 10% of the sales for a game or app. I hope developers wake up someday and sell more games that run native for the Mac.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
They have an $800, Core 2 Duo, with 4 GB of RAM?

How much notebook do they need?

Yeah, and every PC notebook for $800 with 4GB ram has a crappy low contrast, washed out screen. At the end of the day I could care less I got a lot of bloated specs for less, I care more about my eyes. I have to look at the screen all day.

ilovefanboyz

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
This is so embarrassing.

You can make ANY statistic in your favor by reducing the parameters. I actually laughed out loud when I read this.

Its like, "Apple managed to sell more computers sold from a white building than any other company!"

GET A GRIP.

22Hertz

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2007
Many polls are not accurate. Polls can manipulated to favor alternate outcomes.

Don't believe everything you hear/read

Apple, give us a real desktop for < $1500 already :cool:

22Hertz

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2007
This is so embarrassing.

You can make ANY statistic in your favor by reducing the parameters. I actually laughed out loud when I read this.

Its like, "Apple managed to sell more computers sold from a white building than any other company!"

GET A GRIP.

You beat me to it :D

Packersfan27

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2008
No surprise, I like PCs, but not many people would choose a PC over a Mac if they had the choice. Even Microsoft agrees that Macs are "cool" :p

And I believe that if internet sales were somehow included this number would be smaller, because I think that most Macs are sold in stole while I think most high-end PCs are bought online (Just what I think). Apple would still probably control more then half the market share though. :D

Good Job non the less.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I think Apple is right where it wants to be. They can continue to make money on the high end as they inch that $1000 threshold down and take a bigger share of just-under-$1000 computers too.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
This is really reaching for an Apple story. Very impressive that they garnered such a high % of B&M sales but let's be real. Most Dell systems are sold online/phone, HP has a sizable direct business, not to mention all the big online retailers like Amazon, BB etc.

I'd also like to know if they included all Apple sales or only those made in B&M locations.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
The only relevant figure here is that Apple still owns less than 10% of the overall market share, which simply means that their systems are still niche systems for a minority.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Funny thing is apple has no need to drop into the lower market whatsoever. They use the same cheap parts as everyone else but slap an apple on it and sell it for $1000. People perceive it as high end equipment and eat it up. I love mac but their new lineup is not worth the cost. For christ's sake people their top of the line video card is a 9600GT!!!

Are you one of those people who stare at specs to determine the quality and value of a computer? Are you seriously claiming here that Mac pro is just a generic tower-PC that just happens to have an Apple-logo on it? Or that MacBook pro is practically identical to an Acer-laptop that costs 1/3 of MBP? Or that iMac is yet another generic PC with Apple logo on it?

Your comment is dumb as a doorknob.

Shiner

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Are you one of those people who stare at specs to determine the quality and value of a computer? Are you seriously claiming here that Mac pro is just a generic tower-PC that just happens to have an Apple-logo on it? Or that MacBook pro is practically identical to an Acer-laptop that costs 1/3 of MBP? Or that iMac is yet another generic PC with Apple logo on it?

Your comment is dumb as a doorknob.

The first line of your statement cracks me up. Computer specs are the ONLY way to determine how good the computer is. Only a "dumb as a doorknob" individual would make a statement to the contrary. What are we supposed to judge our electronic equipment on? How good it makes us feel or how amazing the outer shell looks. Oh wait that is what apple does and it works on people like you!!! I am not discussing the macpro-I am working on one right now and it is amazing. There is no other workstation quite like it. Way overpriced, but work bought it for me and I use it and love it.

The laptops and imacs are a different story all together. The shell is gorgeous and the OS is awesome. The parts are laughable and actually I find it amazing that apple can charge so much for what you get. Now I know that they deserve to charge more for the engineering and OS but not that much. They have the largest profit margin of any computer company on the market. That is good for them and bad for you.

Keep drinking the kool-aid buddy.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
"Computers over $1,000 sold in retail stores" is not exactly an exotic statistic.

But not exactly a great one, either. To me this just says that the rest of the market has dropped the average computer prices to way below $1000, and Apple's the only one left behind.

Quick, let's open a bakery -- we can dominate in the "loaves of bread sold for over $10" category.

ilovefanboyz

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
Not quite the same thing..... This article shows that apple dominates the high end market. Its not really a pointless statistic.

Wow.. you guys!

They dominate high end sales from BUILDINGS... lol, how many people do you know who buy high end PC's from Best Buy?

This statistic is absolute nonsense, have a little think about it.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
The only relevant figure here is that Apple still owns less than 10% of the overall market share, which simply means that their systems are still niche systems for a minority.

You can even think of that figure in another way. For instance, the iPhone does not have 10% of the cell phone marketshare. (Anyone got a figure for smart-phone marketshare?) Yet, the iPhone is considered a smash success that pretty much dominates the smart-phone market. We have people complaining that the iTunes-iPhone thing is a monopoly since they locked out the Pre.

So we have a dominant phone without the 90% marketshare that Windows enjoys on desktops. In my opinion, the 10% and 90% numbers are more indicative of the health of the computer ecosystem overall, not of Apple's health. What other market ecosystem demands a 90% or even a 50% marketshare to be labeled successful? Diamonds? I don't know. It just seems pretty ridiculous to bemoan the ~10% marketshare figure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.