Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple issued a new seed of Mac OS X 10.5.3 (build 9D27) to ADC developers tonight, detailing a number of new bug fixes and listing no known issues. The newest version of Mac OS X provides a number of bug fixes and stability improvements over the current public version (10.5.2) but remains in limited testing amongst developers as Apple finalizes its code base. Apple first started testing Mac OS X 10.5.3 on March 28th.

Apple appears to have begun seeding these test versions more frequently than in the past. Historically, Apple has waited until development was wrapping up before accelerating their seeds.

Regardless, we've heard anecdotal reports that even the latest version has stability issues which means Apple still has some work to do. Once released, the 10.5.3 update will be available for free through Mac OS X 10.5's Software Update.

Article Link

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Keep working. I'll be ready to update when it is ready.

avigalante

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2007
New York City
Good to hear Apple is fixing up the bugs in Leopard.

I am at my knees with viewing files in coverflow - finder readjusts itself every single time... so annoying!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I wonder if this will have any code in it to purposely break hackintoshes now that Psystar is shipping?

I believe the 10.5.x releases tend to be the ones that put hackintoshes at risk of breaking without additional updates.

So if it does, it might not be intentional.

arn

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
I wonder if this will have any code in it to purposely break hackintoshes now that Psystar is shipping?

You know, that could very well be the reason behind the delay.

Perhaps we'll also see some form of firmware updates pre/post 10.5.3?

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null

You know, that could very well be the reason behind the delay.

Perhaps we'll also see some form of firmware updates pre/post 10.5.3?

I really think you're being more paranoid than is usually allowed outside the realms of sensationalist havens like Digg. This whole "Apple is out to get the little man!" thing is really a bit ridiculous.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Good to hear Apple is fixing up the bugs in Leopard.

I am at my knees with viewing files in coverflow - finder readjusts itself every single time... so annoying!

Finder readjusts itself?

I won't deny that there are some quirks, but are you simply looking at files in coverflow that are being updated? That would explain why things move in coverflow if I understand you correctly.

kgeier82

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
as a student ADC member, i cant seem to find this DL?

do i not have access as a student?

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
as a student ADC member, i cant seem to find this DL?

do i not have access as a student?

Mac OS X pre-release developer seeds are only available to those with Developer Seed Access. If its not listed in your assets, then you wouldn't have access. A typical student wouldn't have access to such things, no.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
They didn't have a commercial rival for their hardware until now, however.

Hmm, Im not sure a tiny PC company that suddenly sprang from nowhere could really be considered a rival. Merely a very minor threat which im sure Apple can easily deal with when they decide to get on with it. I wouldnt be surprised if they are preparing the case now?
Besides, from the early review I saw, the Psystar machines are little better than any other Hackintosh. IE, Serious issues that would never be acceptable to most typical Apple customers.

So I doubt 10.5.3 is being held up by any Psystar issues. Its likely amongst the least of Apples concerns.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i really feel that this is coming sooner than we expected. like maybe at wwdc? either way, i'm glad to see that they are continually working hard on it

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
All I know is I hope it fixes my MBP's issue with not waking up from sleep. I'm tired of doing hard shutdowns every day.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Hmm, Im not sure a tiny PC company that suddenly sprang from nowhere could really be considered a rival. Merely a very minor threat which im sure Apple can easily deal with when they decide to get on with it. I wouldnt be surprised if they are preparing the case now?
Besides, from the early review I saw, the Psystar machines are little better than any other Hackintosh. IE, Serious issues that would never be acceptable to most typical Apple customers.

So I doubt 10.5.3 is being held up by any Psystar issues. Its likely amongst the least of Apples concerns.

Rival, is exaggerating to say the least.

Every company taking one of your dollars away is a rival, no matter how big or small. A wedge starts with a very small edge indeed.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
My imac has 4 GB of memory and DVD player has no problems? How does having 4 GB of memory break the Apple DVD player?

Or are you talking about DVD size?

This seems to be a hardware-related issue specifically associated with macbooks equipped with 4 GB of RAM, accessing the dvd player. Many users have reported kernel panic. There are threads on this.

dmied

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2005
Airport Issues Resolved -PLEASE

I hope this update solves my Airport issues. My VOIP phone continues to work fine but the signal is lost to my computer several times a day.

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
An X.X.3 update needs to be grandma friendly. Wait till it is fully baked.

Will it write ZFS?

Rocketman

That would be neat if ZFS was fully implemented and writable. As OSX has shown the first three 10.x.x updates are stabilization updates. It usually isn't until at least 10.x.4 that we have seen major new features added or beta'd for the next OS full release (e.g. in the past file journaling and most recently BootCamp).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.