Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While new MacBook Pros with faster specs and a Touch Bar launched earlier today, Apple continues to sell base model 2015 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pros on its website for the same entry-level prices of $1,299 and $1,999 respectively. Higher-end models with faster specs and more storage are no longer available for purchase.

mbp_retina.jpg

2015 MacBook Pros should remain a popular option among customers who prefer having access to a broader range of ports, such as MagSafe, two USB-A ports, two Thunderbolt ports, HDMI, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and an SD card reader.

The new MacBook Pros have four Thunderbolt 3 ports and a 3.5mm headphone jack only. Thunderbolt 3 carries power, USB, DisplayPort, HDMI, and VGA video out over a single port. As with the 12-inch MacBook, customers will have to purchase standalone dongles to connect certain devices and accessories.

2015 MacBook Pros, of course, have traditional function keys rather than Apple's new Touch Bar that provides contextual controls based on the app you are working in or system task you are carrying out.

Article Link: Apple Continues to Sell Base Model 2015 MacBook Pros at Same Price Points

Last edited:

MICHAELSD

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Time to buy an iPad Pro once Apple makes sure it has real pro apps.

Apple didn't do enough to make me genuinely excited to update my 2012 15" rMBP.

Don't get me wrong, I want a new MacBook Pro but I use my iPhone for 99% of my computing needs so $2399 is less justifiable for the times I do need a pro app on a Mac.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I don't understand Apple's pricing strategy. I get that the Touch Bar is new technology and the price reflects it but having Retina displays for years now is supposed to decrease the price of using "retina display" technology. But they jacked up the price of the MBP to justify keeping old tech at the same price. That is greedy.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I wonder if Mac sales will go up, down, or stay flat.

I feel like there will be a slight bounce up from the people who couldn't care less what the price is or how little Apple has improved, and then we'll see it sink lower than ever before.

The Touchbar is neat, don't get me wrong, but there's no way at all to justify the new prices.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Probably best if you've been holding out to upgrade to just pick up a used, refurbished, or close-out higher-end 2015 model.

It's like Apple is doing this to kill the Mac. They'll lower their sales numbers to the point that they can say in interviews "The Macs just weren't selling well anymore, so we decided to make a really tough decision and get behind iOS fully as the future of our platform across all devices."

The Mac is the backbone of everything creatives like me do. If I had to pick one Apple device that I'd have to use forever, it would be my Mac. It's how I get work done. It has the power and software capability to push through my workflow like a boss. Without the Mac, I would be in a world of hurt.

Mr. Donahue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
I'm over Apple. I won't ever buy one of their laptops again. Besides I find myself using my laptop less and less these days. They certainly aren't worth the price. And it is it just me? Because every MacBook/Pro ive ever bought has the crappiest battery that craps out after a year.

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
What? You are surprised???? That pile of crap will be on sale until 2019 easily. The new MacBook Pros will be out until 2021.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.