Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Debuts New Ad Focused On Apple Music Playlists During Emmys

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple debuted a brand new Apple Music ad during the Emmys tonight. The ad features actresses Taraji P. Henson and Kerry Washington hanging out and enjoying Apple Music with singer Mary J. Blige. The ad has a focus on Apple Music's playlists.

Playlists, the new mixtapes.
Go ahead ladies!
@maryjblige @kerrywashington @TherealTaraji
http://t.co/cctGZAhwuP
https://t.co/VTnkmeEr4E— Apple Music (@AppleMusic) September 21, 2015

The ad, which was directed by Selma director Ava Duvernay, features Washington, Blige and Henson hanging out at a home and remembering mixtapes before Blige interrupts them to tell them about Apple Music playlists, which she compares to mixtapes.

Washington goes a step further and says that Apple's curated playlists are like having a boyfriend creating you a mixtape. The rest of the ad features the three having fun listening to the curated playlists before revealing the $9.99 monthly subscription cost to sign up for Apple Music.

In early August, Apple launched a worldwide advertising campaign featuring billboards and posters. Shortly after that, they debuted three artist-focused ads highlighting the Apple Music's ability to introduce people to new artists and music. Additionally, Apple released a two-part ad featuring The Weeknd during the MTV VMAs.

Article Link: Apple Debuts New Ad Focused On Apple Music Playlists During Emmys

themachugger

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
That ad has more African Americans in it than the entire audience at the Emmy's. A friend of mine attending the show just took a picture inside the theater. It was blinding.

Reactions: Libertine Lush
Comment

charlieasmith96

macrumors member
May 17, 2013
https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/image-jpg.583510/?temp_hash=d7d6d802cc4e999700b567a0b7b06baa

Advertising, advertising, advertising, fix apple music. Advertising, advertising, advertising, fix apple music.

Anyone remember this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 33,187
Comment

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
it lags even in the commercial :(

...I'd bet money those screens were simulated, they definitely didn't look right. Notice the relatively stable shots on the laptop didn't carry over the "shaky cam" feel from the previous and after shot. That's because the camera was locked off to make motion tracking and screen replacement easier in post. The dead giveaway is that there is a digital dolly move in that shot, but none of the objects in the frame are parallaxing. They shot it probably on a RED Dragon at 6k, zoomed in and digitally moved the frame left to right to simulate a dolly. There are ZERO reflections on screen as well that definitely don't move with camera either. The next laptop shot is also locked off, but notice they added camera movement in post. It feels very fake and generated with the movements as if done in After Effects or Nuke. This is because the original shot was again locked off when shooting to make it super easy for them to comp in screens. Samsung also ads post camera wiggle all the time in their commercials and I've also noticeably been able to pick it out in some Sprint ads as well. Once you use it yourself you'll start to pick it out.

...That was stupid long winded but all to say, I would bet money those shots were 100% fake so any lag you see was by the post company handling the FX shots for Apple or their ad firm.

Last edited:
Comment

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA

Apple debuted a brand new Apple Music ad during the Emmys tonight. The ad features actresses Taraji P. Henson and Kerry Washington hanging out and enjoying Apple Music with singer Mary J. Blige. The ad has a focus on Apple Music's playlists.

Playlists, the new mixtapes.
Go ahead ladies!
@maryjblige @kerrywashington @TherealTaraji
http://t.co/cctGZAhwuP
https://t.co/VTnkmeEr4E— Apple Music (@AppleMusic) September 21, 2015

The ad, which was directed by Selma director Ava Duvernay, features Washington, Blige and Henson hanging out at a home and remembering mixtapes before Blige interrupts them to tell them about Apple Music playlists, which she compares to mixtapes. Washington goes a step further and says that Apple's curated playlists are like having a boyfriend creating you a mixtape. The rest of the ad features the three having fun listening to the curated playlists before revealing the subscription cost of joining Apple Music.

In early August, Apple launched a worldwide advertising campaign featuring billboards and posters. Shortly after that, they debuted three artist-focused ads highlighting the Apple Music's ability to introduce people to new artists and music. Additionally, Apple released a two-part ad featuring The Weeknd during the MTV VMAs.

Article Link: Apple Debuts New Ad Focused On Apple Music Playlists During Emmys

I can't imagine there being that many people paying $9.99 a month for music.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5
Comment

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA
...I'd bet money those screens were simulated, they definitely didn't look right. Notice the relatively shots on the laptop didn't carry over the "shaky cam" feel from the previous and after shot. That's because the camera was locked off to make motion tracking and screen replacement easier in post. The dead giveaway is that there is a digital dolly move in that shot, but none of the objects in the frame are parallaxing. They shot it probably on a RED Dragon at 6k, zoomed in and digitally moved the frame left to right to simulate a dolly. There are ZERO reflections on screen as well that definitely don't move with camera either. The next laptop shot is also locked off, but notice they added camera movement in post. It feels very fake and generated with the movements as if done in After Effects or Nuke. This is because the original shot was again locked off when shooting to make it super easy for them to comp in screens. Samsung also ads post camera wiggle all the time in their commercials and I've also noticeably been able to pick it out in some Sprint ads as well. Once you use it yourself you'll start to pick it out.

...That was stupid long winded but all to say, I would bet money those shots were 100% fake so any lag you see was by the post company handling the FX shots for Apple or their ad firm.

Your in deep, bro. It must be hard for you to just watch content without seeing the technical side of it. That would kind of suck. But, it sounds like you are in that field, so, I guess that's the way it goes.

Comment

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
...I'd bet money those screens were simulated, they definitely didn't look right. Notice the relatively shots on the laptop didn't carry over the "shaky cam" feel from the previous and after shot. That's because the camera was locked off to make motion tracking and screen replacement easier in post. The dead giveaway is that there is a digital dolly move in that shot, but none of the objects in the frame are parallaxing. They shot it probably on a RED Dragon at 6k, zoomed in and digitally moved the frame left to right to simulate a dolly. There are ZERO reflections on screen as well that definitely don't move with camera either. The next laptop shot is also locked off, but notice they added camera movement in post. It feels very fake and generated with the movements as if done in After Effects or Nuke. This is because the original shot was again locked off when shooting to make it super easy for them to comp in screens. Samsung also ads post camera wiggle all the time in their commercials and I've also noticeably been able to pick it out in some Sprint ads as well. Once you use it yourself you'll start to pick it out.

dude even the special effects can't defeat the lag

Reactions: rekhyt
Comment

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
As an academic, your post about an ad resembles how I read every book. (Imagine what the trolling posts on a site like this read like...)

Reactions: CombatCaptured
Comment

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
I'm sticking with Apple Music because it does what I want, does some new things that I like (For You and Beats 1), access to probably better exclusives (controversial, I know), and is integrated with my own iTunes library. Any qualms I have with the UI I know will get worked out, one of the issues was already improved in iOS 9. The application isn't bad enough to make me hate the service, I simply think it could be better, and I'm willing to stick around to see it improve.

Comment

macsba

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2015
Next to my Mac.
Well, didn't get to see the Emmys. I'll take a look on Apple's website or YouTube.

Been busy doing other more important things. Anyway, most of the shows up for nomination I can't see, others I have no time, so no loss.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.