Apple Debuts Online Store With 10 Percent Discount for Veterans and Active Military

xander49x

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
world
I would like to say it's great, I just purchased the new iPad Pro the apple pencil and a cover I saved 60 dollars, did not even know they were offering a Mil discount, I was talking with one of the tech guys at the apple store and he ask me what I did for a living and I told him I just returned from deployment, he returned my purchase and gave me my discount, they have some good employees at Apple.

vicviper789

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2013
I am definitely going to use this but it does seem like Apple is desperate these days. I don’t remember sales other than the back to school promos a few years ago

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
This is a win-win for Apple...

1) Good PR move, a nod to veterans is (almost) always perceived as respectful, and
2) It should/could boost (alleged) slumping iPhone sales (let's be honest, probably the real reason they just started this program)

Disclaimer: I am a cynic who doesn't believe pure altruism exists.

brendu

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2009
USA
Wow nice, the student discount is only 5%
This isn’t consistent. Apple seems to have thrown students and schools a bone, the old MacBook Air is still for sale for $999 but students and schools get a 15% discount bringing it down to $849.

Ceviche Lover

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2012
Getting a 10% discount is no different then buying an Apple product from an out of state vendor and not paying sales tax on it. Kind of pointless.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Good for them. There just needs to be a universal discount for active military and veterans.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
www.aikenallegra.com
They probably realize verifying the information would cost more than just ignoring it. With the education discount all they would have to do is ensure you can reply back from a verified educational institution email account. With the military discount including veterans they would have to get a scanned copy of the DD214 and manually update the account holders information.

From what I'm seeing it is only available for purchases direct from Apple. Most people are going to buy through their carrier and likely won't even know this is an option. I don't see it being widely abused. I would qualify for the government employee discount but hadn't heard of it until the link in this article.

I wonder if Apple really cares. They are still making a ton of money and this may be a way to get the discount out without officially dropping the price mid-cycle.
They would not need to go through all of that. There are third-party services that integrate into websites for verification. Lowe’s does it, for example.

I have no idea how much that service costs, but it’s hard to believe it would equal more than 10% of every product sold.

igneousc

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
what kind of documentation do you need to submit to do it? Will have to tell my dad so he can buy apple stuff with this discount.

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Mt Pocono, PA
Have to check what prices are on Exchange. Recently all veterans were granted benefit to shop at Military Exchange stores. Usually exchange prices are little cheaper plus by law, state tax is not collected. The only downside is that veterans don't have access to physical stores, can only do shopping online, but with free shipping and no tax it might be worth it.

salimar

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2015
Too bad I can’t use the veteran discount to purchase AppleCare for both iPhone XS phones I purchased recently. Support over the phone stated it’s only for online purchases.

synergize

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
For a veteran the 11" 64gb iPad Pro is $783, that's $16 off or about 2%. Where is the 10% off?

daveup2bat

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2009
California
I just did a comparison of EDU vs. MIL and the discount is not equal but definitely not as big as gap as one might think.

Priced out a Mac Book Pro, with i9 upgrade, 32 mb ram, 1TB hard drive & Radeon Vega 20 .

EDU pricing: $3899
MIL pricing: $3824

Villarrealadrian

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2016

Apple today launched a new online store in the U.S. that's designed to provide a 10 percent discount on select products for both activity military and veterans, along with members of their households.

With the discount, the iPhone XS is available priced starting at $899, while the iPhone XR is available priced starting at $674. These devices are priced at $999 and $749, respectively, in Apple's standard online store.

Discounted prices are available on iPhones, Macs, Apple Watch models, iPads, the Apple TV, HomePod, AirPods, and accessories like cases, Apple Watch bands, and even third-party items that include speakers, drones, and more.

Apple told TechCrunch that it is "proud" to offer the discount to active military and veterans.Apple has offered educational discounts to students, teachers, and faculty members for quite some time, along with discounted pricing for military and federal government employees.

The 10 percent discount being provided to active military and veterans exceeds the discounts that Apple offers via its educational store.

Article Link: Apple Debuts Online Store With 10 Percent Discount for Veterans and Active Military
So now apple is pro war... mmhmm

Reactions: coolfactor