Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Stop it. People should be able to get whatever they want, whenever they want, regardless of their financial situation. And Apple should underwrite it. Because, you know they're rich. And rich companies should always give sh** away for free.
"Why did you make a new bank account for the billion dollars I asked for instead of depositing it in my current account? Ugh Apple is so stale and overpriced and blah blah blah"

- MacRumors forum user

Reactions: Jal217

Schwyz

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2016
a tree
I get depressed when the ads are more distinguishable from competitors than the products themselves.

Last edited:

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Guess what? My Apple TV does 4K, people does not know that the new Apple TV can do 4K. If you have a 4K tv, this will change the resolution and your Apple TV content too....Looks amazing
This is incorrect. Content doesn't magically become high-res on a 4K TV. It's duplicating pixels. I'd make sure you aren't suffering from the placebo effect... One of my friends got a 4K TV and claimed everything was so high-res on it, but we found that he only had it connected to 1080p video sources XD

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
They have to leave something to make you upgrade to the next one.

Exactly. I'm sure someone on the Apple TV team asked if they should add 4K to the 4th gen ATV during development and that's probably the point in the conversation where Tim said no, we'll get a lot of more sales from people buying both the 4th gen without 4K and a year later we'll get more money from them for the 4K-enabled ATV 5. I probably won't be upgrading to a 4K TV for another couple of years or longer so Apple will probably have to wait a while to get me to upgrade. Maybe the ATV 6 will support HDR.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Lots of comments about how useless 4k is on an iPhone. I beg to differ.

But it's best use is not what you'd think. Shooting in 4k makes for a great digital zoom in post-production, which you then output in 1080.

I recently shot an airshow in 4k, cropped and panned in iMovie, then rendered to 1080. The end result was terrific. An airshow is something that's too far away to shoot without zoom, and by zooming 4k video you maintain 1080 resolution or better the whole time. Also, shooting wide then cropping in in post production makes it much easier to keep the jets in the frame.

Apple needs to advertise this more.

Though keep in mind this is not useful in low light. The noise reduction required to shoot 4k in low light completely negates the added resolution. I've tested it.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Guess what? My Apple TV does 4K, people does not know that the new Apple TV can do 4K. If you have a 4K tv, this will change the resolution and your Apple TV content too....Looks amazing

Nope, it does not. From www.Apple.com, AppleTV Specs, "H.264 video up to 1080p, 60 frames per second, High or Main Profile level 4.2 or lower".

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
You should give people credit for buying the phone that meets their needs. Because you could be fooled doesn't mean everyone else would. Most people do well with the 16gb model and Apple sells a ton of those.

If you need more storage the solution is easy - pay for it. Otherwise there are loads of other manufacturers you can choose from, such as Sanyo and Samsung, where you can find a phone that makes you happy. Take responsibility for your needs. Most others have.

You are missing the point though, the rest of the industry is at 32GB, why is Apple not giving the flagship iPhone proper *default* storage in 2016? Can't the customer ask for reasonable features to be default?

Jal217

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2015
You are missing the point though, the rest of the industry is at 32GB, why is Apple not giving the flagship iPhone proper *default* storage in 2016? Can't the customer ask for reasonable features to be default?
No one said the 16 GB phone is the default. Would you be happier if they had the 64gb at its current price and then they stopped selling the 16? If people are willing to pay the price for only 16 And some are willing to pay an extra 100 for 64 it would make no sense for them to forfeit that extra 100 dollars by lower the price of the 64. It would also make no sense for them to get rid of the 16 and keep the same 64 price because then they lose the lower budget customers. Its called price discrimination and any economist will tell you that if it can be done its extremely beneficial to the company.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
These ads have been really great lately. I loved the Onions one really funny.

Reactions: HenryDJP

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
They have to leave something to make you upgrade to the next one.
They have to leave something to do once the technology is ready to do it efficiently and well on an inexpensive device.

Plus it wouldn't be fair to their competitors if Apple put all the features in at the beginning. Apple just wants to give Fire TV a fighting chance.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
So the millions of 16gb users that watch this ad and discover/try the cool 4k video will now realize their 16gb is obscenely planned

NOW REALIZE?! it's on Apple's website when you want to buy an iPhone!!
How much storage is right for you?
It might be nothing for you, but my mother can buy a 16GB iPhone and still can't fill all the space.

Is it really that hard to look beyond your own consumer needs? It certainly seems so

edit: to make sure, I added a screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 22.56.23.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 22.56.23.png
    515.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Come on! Defend Apple all you want, but a 16GB premium smart phone in 2016 is a joke. The iPhone 7 will definitely start with 32Gb and then everybody will applaud them for their innovation. In the mean time, you can put a 200Gb memory card in a Samsung phone...

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Wait, Apple is advertising 4K video recording in the ads as an appealing feature aimed at the mainstream consumer? How in the world is this consistent with their 16GB mainstream iPhone which is a joke for 4K?

You mean how Apple lists the space requirements for video shot in different formats on its website as you're viewing the features and specs of the phone, so you can make an informed consumer choice?

Not sure.

Most users, 16 would be fine. Great entry level phone for light users. It's not great for people that like to shoot lots of videos and pictures. Then again, as a person that does that, I would be aware of it and purchase the correct device for my needs.

Choice is a beautiful thing. :)

Reactions: appledefenceforce

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Fingerprint, a too much of a mean streak in the narrator voice. However, content is good.

Onions, a total parody of the film scene these days with the semi-talent and no-talent artificial celebrities these days.

Would rather see more Cookie Monster or other Muppets. An Ernie & Bert ad would be great!

appledefenceforce

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
Wait, Apple is advertising 4K video recording in the ads as an appealing feature aimed at the mainstream consumer? How in the world is this consistent with their 16GB mainstream iPhone which is a joke for 4K?

lol These two things have nothing to do with each other.

PS LOVE the 'onions' ad!

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
lol These two things have nothing to do with each other.

PS LOVE the 'onions' ad!

Yea it does. Apple is advertising 4k recording on iPhone 6s in general, including all 16gb, 64gb and 128gb, they aren't differentiating. Actually, Apple should put a disclaimer, warning: 16GB iPhones are a joke and woefully inadequate for 4k recording, please pay $100 us more to upgrade when you buy a new iPhone, and if you already own 16gb, you are screwed. ;)

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
"Hey dad, my iPhone is so great it can record 4K video and 1080p60 video!"
"Cool, now let's go to my 2-hour press conference, you'll be able to record all that, right?"
"Well, uh, how do I say it, it's a 16GB model..."
If her/his dad is doing a 2hr PRESS conference then it's very likely they can afford the highest model. Nevertheless I understand and hated that I had to spend an extra $100 for 64gb when 32 would have been enough.

Reactions: AirunJae

appledefenceforce

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
Yea it does. Apple is advertising 4k recording on iPhone 6s in general, including all 16gb, 64gb and 128gb, they aren't differentiating. Actually, Apple should put a disclaimer, warning: 16GB iPhones are a joke and woefully inadequate for 4k recording, please pay $100 us more to upgrade when you buy a new iPhone, and if you already own 16gb, you are screwed. ;)

Clearly you have no business sense.

Answer this single question: Can a 16gb iPhone record 4k videos?

It's a yes or no question.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to be able to do a lot of it.

Does 16gb suck? Yes. But the people who buy the 16GB model know what they are getting into. For a lot of them it's not their first iPhone.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Maybe that is why they did a 3 second onion cutting video and not a full course recording. Lol (at Apple not you)
[doublepost=1461619183][/doublepost]
Clearly you have no business sense.

Answer this single question: Can a 16gb iPhone record 4k videos?

It's a yes or no question.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to be able to do a lot of it.

Does 16gb suck? Yes. But the people who buy the 16GB model know what they are getting into. For a lot of them it's not their first iPhone.
Wait I would guess it's the contrary. Can you give me a source for 16gb buyers thanks!

Reactions: AirunJae

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.

Yes, you can ask for anything you want and Apple will choose when, where, and if thy will fulfill any such wish.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Yes, you can ask for anything you want and Apple will choose when, where, and if thy will fulfill any such wish.

You mean like when people asked for and expected larger iPhones to be default, and Apple finally caved and made the iPhone 6? ;)

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011

No, I'm not.

The point is for many, whose needs are basic, "proper default storage" is 16gb. Your needs may be different. And if they are, simply pay for it. Thankfully, Apple has never been driven by "the rest of the industry."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.