Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has opted to delay production on the rumored larger-screened "iPad Pro" due to issues with display panel supply, reports Bloomberg. Manufacturing on the tablet will reportedly begin in September, rather than earlier in the year.
Production of the 12.9-inch-screen iPad is now scheduled to start around September because of delays involving the supply of display panels, said one of the people, who asked not to be identified because the details aren't public. Apple had initially planned to begin making the larger version this quarter, people familiar those plans had said.
This isn't the first time that rumors have hinted at delays for the iPad Pro. Apple was said to be targeting an early 2015 release date for the tablet last year, but those plans were reportedly put on hold. Back in October, The Wall Street Journal said that Apple had opted to delay mass production on the iPad in order to focus on iPhone 6 Plus production, and in November, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said production could be delayed until Q2 2015 because of difficulties related to the production of display components. With production delayed until September, the tablet could see a release in late 2015.

15728851964_240beca966_b-800x601.jpg
Rendering of the iPad Pro by Martin Hajek
Apple is planning to use the "iPad Pro," as the media calls it, to boost its flagging iPad sales. The tablet is expected to measure in somewhere between 12.2 and 12.9 inches, dwarfing both the 9.7-inch iPad Air 2 and the 7.9-inch iPad mini 3.

It may be targeted at the enterprise market, and rumors have suggested it could sport an "ultra" high-resolution display and stereo speakers at the top and bottom edges of the device for an improved audio experience. It may also ship with an optional stylus accessory.

Article Link: Apple Delaying Production on Larger-Screened 'iPad Pro' Until September

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
'Delays' :rolleyes:

An iPad Pro isn't happening until there's a new iOS with Pro-only features, to help it sell.

Last edited:

AlexC123

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2015
I know this isn't MacFacts.. But seriously, can't some threshold be applied to these utterly unsubstantiated ego trips?!

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
In my local department store today: all iPods (all ranges) pulled from the shelves.

Stock returned to Apple. Not expecting any replacements.

:rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
'Delays' :rolleyes:

An iPad Pro is't happening until there's a new iOS with Pro-only features, to help it sell.

Exactly. WWDC would be the earliest but since Apple doesn't really launch iOS devices there any more the fall seems much more likely.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
If there is a retina "Air" on Monday, obviously they don't want to release both within the same time period, and as mentioned, whatever changes in iOS 9 that could take advantage of that size screen.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple has opted to delay production on the rumored larger-screened "iPad Pro" due to issues with display panel supply, reports Bloomberg. Manufacturing on the tablet will reportedly begin in September, rather than earlier in the year.This isn't the first time that rumors have hinted at delays for the iPad Pro. Apple was said to be targeting an early 2015 release date for the tablet last year, but those plans were reportedly put on hold. Back in October, The Wall Street Journal said that Apple had opted to delay mass production on the iPad in order to focus on iPhone 6 Plus production, and in November, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said production could be delayed until Q2 2015 because of difficulties related to the production of display components. With production delayed until September, the tablet could see a release in late 2015.

Rendering of the iPad Pro by Martin Hajek
Apple is planning to use the "iPad Pro," as the media calls it, to boost its flagging iPad sales. The tablet is expected to measure in somewhere between 12.2 and 12.9 inches, dwarfing both the 9.7-inch iPad Air 2 and the 7.9-inch iPad mini 3.

It may be targeted at the enterprise market, and rumors have suggested it could sport an "ultra" high-resolution display and stereo speakers at the top and bottom edges of the device for an improved audio experience. It may also ship with an optional stylus accessory.

Article Link: Apple Delaying Production on Larger-Screened 'iPad Pro' Until September

Delaying a unsubstantiated rumor... Just say it isn't so Joe!! ;-).

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Apple will likely release the iPad Pro without any significant change to iOS. They will just make it a massively big iPhone and then wonder why iPad sales are so stagnant.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I know various Apple folks have said OS X wouldn't work on a touch screen tablet, which is why they had to build a touch based OS and rewrite/redesign apps for touch based input.

Now an iPad Pro is on the table, I think a lot of people are wondering when Apple will be done rewriting the apps for it.

I understand Apple won't build a frankenstiens monster of a device that runs os x and the OS x version of Final Cut Pro X, but why haven't they built an iPad version of Final Cut Pro X yet? Why haven't Apple made a deal with Adobe, say, so their creative cloud suite is on windows, Mac and iPad, too?

Last edited:

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I was waiting on this. I guess I may be using an iPad 3 longer now.

Air 2 is awesome, but a larger device will feel so fresh and different.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
It needs iOS tweaks. Or to run OS X. In fact I think i'll bank on the latter over the former.

hippo206

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2007
If there is a retina "Air" on Monday, obviously they don't want to release both within the same time period, and as mentioned, whatever changes in iOS 9 that could take advantage of that size screen.

My thoughts as well. Seem like an iPad Pro would need software upgrades to utilize a screen of that size. I imagine some of those additional features would be added to the existing line-up, which would make sense that it would either be during or after the release of iOS 9. The new features would help drive sales of new iPad and iPhone.

Just a guess.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Exactly. WWDC would be the earliest but since Apple doesn't really launch iOS devices there any more the fall seems much more likely.

Maybe at WWDC we'll see new iPad features + apps and then in October an iPad Pro which makes those features make even more sense?

Like the new layout dev tools for making one app work across multiple screen sizes. Great for iPhone/iPhone 5/iPad, portrait/landscape, but even more useful with iPhone 6/Plus.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
still calling it iPad "Pro":rolleyes:? If they were going to call it that, then they would have called the iPad Mini iPad Kids instead. I do see this happening, but, the rumor mill started the "Pro" name out of some strangeness.

Remember everyone calling the Apple TV iTV before it came out? How about the iWatch? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.