Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Got my SE battery replaced yesterday and they were iffy on whether they even had them in stock. They did have one in the end, but the rep (sorry, "genius") said that they'd been getting slammed with battery replacements.

(Actually, I got lucky and they said there was some bigger hardware issue on my phone and they just replaced the whole thing for free under AppleCare+.)

Reactions: Askolan

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
That makes no sense. You make it sound like microsurgery when a child could replace the battery.

The battery in the iPhone was designed to replaced. It has pull tabs designed for such a purpose.

The display seal in the 6s and 7 are meant to replaced.
Maybe.
But before you make such claims, take a walk thru the iFixIt guides, and you decide. (Note that no attempt is done to reconstruct the seal between case and display.)

As samples, I give you as reference two URLs for the i6, with 25 steps for the "Moderate" battery replacement, followed by 9 steps for the "Moderate" not-so-critical replacement of the Battery's adhesive strips. The other iPhones do not spare less steps.

All from iFixIt.

iPhone 6 Battery: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+6+Battery+Replacement/29363
iPhone 6 Adhesive Strips: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+Battery+Adhesive+Strips+Replacement/56465

So you be the judge. I was not telling porkies.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Just goes to show how many Apple customers are smart enough to not upgrade for relatively useless features.

The truth is, if the iPhone battery were user replaceable, Apple’s revenue would be significantly lower over the last 5 years. Does anyone really believe they don’t know this and didn’t consider it when designing the device? And they certainly have no incentive to be highly responsive to those asking for new batteries (at least not until a court orders it).

Well said..
That's really the story of appliance devices/planned obsolescence.

iPhone upgrades aren't clearly at all about people actually wanting to buy the new model for the high price. Often it's that simple screen fixes or battery replacements are overpriced and not transparently offered as a great way to extend the life of your existing model.

Additionally, and it's hard to pin this down, Apple's own treatment of new iOS version performance and optimization (or lack of it) for older devices can corner users into believing that the only way to have a good fast experience is with a new iPhone again.

I wish people would be more open and honest about this.
Don't trust Apple so blindly.

I enjoy their products like all of us here, but they are certainly not infallible or necessarily always acting in our best interests.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Maybe.
But before you make such claims, take a walk thru the iFixIt guides, and you decide. (Note that no attempt is done to reconstruct the seal between case and display.)

As samples, I give you as reference two URLs for the i6, with 25 steps for the "Moderate" battery replacement, followed by 9 steps for the "Moderate" not-so-critical replacement of the Battery's adhesive strips. The other iPhones do not spare less steps.

All from iFixIt.

iPhone 6 Battery: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+6+Battery+Replacement/29363
iPhone 6 Adhesive Strips: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+Battery+Adhesive+Strips+Replacement/56465

So you be the judge. I was not telling porkies.

Do you think Apple trains their staff on repairs?

It may be difficult for you, but that doesn't mean it's difficult for properly trained individuals.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Got my SE battery replaced yesterday and they were iffy on whether they even had them in stock. They did have one in the end, but the rep (sorry, "genius") said that they'd been getting slammed with battery replacements.

(Actually, I got lucky and they said there was some bigger hardware issue on my phone and they just replaced the whole thing for free under AppleCare+.)

It's interesting they'd be running low on SE batteries anywhere in the supply chain, as they still make those models brand new, unlike the 6 series phones.

Seems like they should have held this program up a couple weeks to build some stock..
Could be a long year of being basically out of stock at all times....That means some really frustrated customers - all year

Reactions: ignatius345

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
My take is that this is not going to end well for Apple.

Hear me out:

Replacing these batteries is no walk in the park.
Specially as these these batteries are now anchored, and glued, to the back shell, behind all their electronics:
  1. no means to access the battery other than deconstructing the phone from the display
  2. worse of all, having to violate the display-to-case water/dust seal.
  3. add to this theatre: the demands imposed on the overworked Geniuses by their store managers to execute no less than x-batteries-per-hour -- all in the crowded backroom.
It all adds to a FUBAR customer experience, with Apple yet to see the full impact of their self-inflicted SNAFU.

In addition, at least so far the bulk of us seem to be taking Apple at their word: that is, that throttling code is strictly associated with an older battery. Conceptually, that means that replacing the old battery with a new one is going to speed the older iPhone back up to very fast again. But what if that does not happen?

In other words, what if the Geekbench tests AFTER new Apple batteries are installed still show a significant slow down with iOS upgrades? Per Apple, all blame has been put on old batteries kicking in throttling code. If the same test runs again and still shows a significantly slowed iPhone, then what? Does Apple offer a new excuse for slowing iDevices (which would look very, very bad)? Does it come out that there is other throttling code in iOS (which would also look very, very bad)? Else, how does it get swept under the rug?

I suspect that round two of this is right around the corner: that is, that the same test that got this started will still show significant slow downs with new iOS upgrades. I suspect that will lead to a sequence of events that will get (or legally force) other throttling code- if it is there- out of iOS. And THAT will bring old devices up to near "like new" speeds again.

But we'll see. Personally, I hope that Apple has told the whole truth here... that the throttling code is indeed only associated with a worn battery and that a $29 purchase is going to bring older iDevices back to a very fast speed again.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It's interesting they'd be running low on SE batteries anywhere in the supply chain, as they still make those models brand new, unlike the 6 series phones.

Seems like they should have held this program up a couple weeks to build some stock..
Could be a long year of being basically out of stock at all times....That means some really frustrated customers - all year

The SE is not a very popular device based on recent market data.

whichweather

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
Likely due to the influx of people, justified or not, asking for cheap replacements due to the placebo of thinking their phones are slow.

Yes, Apple announcing that the discount program only goes for a certain time period creates unnecessary demand pressure. If the replacement period had been announced to be more open-ended, I'd wager that people wouldn't be as impatient to change their battery if the hadn't noticed a slowdown yet.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
In addition, at least so far the bulk of us seem to be taking Apple at their word: that is, that throttling code is strictly associated with an older battery. Conceptually, that means that replacing the old battery with a new one is going to speed the older iPhone back up to very fast again. But what if that does not happen?

In other words, what if the Geekbench tests AFTER new Apple batteries are installed still show a significant slow down with iOS upgrades? Per Apple, all blame has been put on old batteries kicking in throttling code. If the same test runs again and still shows a significantly slowed iPhone, then what? Does Apple offer a new excuse for slowing iDevices (which would look very, very bad)? Does it come out that there is other throttling code in iOS (which would also look very, very bad)? Else, how does it get swept under the rug?

I suspect that round two of this is right around the corner: that is, that the same test that got this started will still show significant slow downs with new iOS upgrades. I suspect that will lead to a sequence of events that will get (or legally force) other throttling code- if it is there- out of iOS. And THAT will bring old devices up to near "like new" speeds again.

But we'll see. Personally, I hope that Apple has told the whole truth here... that the throttling code is indeed only associated with a worn battery and that a $29 purchase is going to bring older iDevices back to a very fast speed again.

I'm not sure why you need to "suspect" when there's plenty of evidence Geekbench scores shoot up after a battery replacement.

bmark

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
Typical Apple rolling out the battery replacement program with very limited supply. I'm sure they are hoping people will upgrade to an iPhone X once they get their tax returns back instead of replacing their battery.

Reactions: Puddled

namenotfound

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
I didn't feel that performance decrease. Source?

Spectre update is not related to throttling. Here are my numbers.

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 12.45.20 PM.png

Reactions: deferredAnon

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Can you point me to a definitive test? So far, I've been seeing individuals claiming "much faster" and "not much difference" after changing batteries. But I haven't seen an objective Geekbench test along the lines of what kicked this whole thing off. Link?

The original post on Reddit contains many users posting before and after Geekbench scores.

The MacRumors forums also have users confirming the difference in scores.

Seriously, you can do the Google exercise yourself. It's not difficult.

Reactions: slu

Dan Holmstock

macrumors member
May 11, 2016
Culpeper VA
Let me bother you with two questions:
  1. [CRITICAL] Did you replace the water/dust seal between display and case? [And, be specific. Where did you purchased them? To my knowledge they are not available.]
  2. [LESS CRITICAL] Did you replace the battery adhesive strips, as well? [If so, Amazon's "market sellers" at $25, surely do not carry them.]
Kudos on your successful replacements!

But most likely than not, your phones have lost their original water-tightness.
I changed many o my families 6 Batteries and numerous friends and neighbors. What seal are you talking about? not sure i see them for the model 6. I use iFixit's guide on removing the tape strips and then the batteries I get from Amazon come with the same strips. My understanding is the 7 starts with the water seal. Not the prior models. IMHO.

ashavez

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2018
Idk what u guys talking cause here in miami at dadeland mall .. battery replacement for iphone 6s took me 4 days to be delivered at the store ... no delays or issues ..

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region

My point of view is more positive than yours, though.

New batteries will most likely restore as-new performance. But for how long? Another 12 months?

If so, this is probably OK with most in here because by then they will replace with new -- driven either by lifecycle or, simply, by aesthetics fatigue.

Lots of posters in here are looking for their new iPhone drug year-on-year. And that is to the delight of TC and his compadres in Cupertino.

Last edited:

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Apple: "Wait till April or you could purchase our new top of the line iphone X"

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
You couldn’t make this mess up! So an ‘internal’ as in ‘not for anyone outside Apple’, document states a 3 to 4 month delay on 6 Plus batteries and had NOT extended the 29 dollar offer on this model by the same length of time as the back order!!

So yet again Apple is keeping quiet from its customers, choosing to not make this information public, wasting customers time, and not extending the battery replacement period...

Absolutely ‘stellar’ customer service /s to match the absolutely ‘stellar’ profits........

What an arrogant corporation, I hope they end being fined BILLIONS over this scam!

Reactions: stepandy

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
The original post on Reddit contains many users posting before and after Geekbench scores.

The MacRumors forums also have users confirming the difference in scores.

Seriously, you can do the Google exercise yourself. It's not difficult.

Just tried and I'm seeing a whole bunch of posts but I'm not quickly finding something akin to the original test. In other words, I'm seeing lots of people testing this question: Does an older iPhone run faster AFTER getting a new battery?

My question goes back to to the original question: Do new iOS versions slow down older iDevices? As I understand it, that test measured an iPhone before being upgraded and then after and strongly implied a yes. Apple later confirmed that with the admission, assigning the slowdown to "older batteries" triggering secret throttling code.

Since Apple admits it, let's let X% represent how much slower the older battery throttling slows down an iDevice. Put in a new battery and the throttling code should not kick in. Thus we get that X% back in speed. Many testing the first question may reply YES, it's faster.

But then go back to the original question: Do new iOS versions slow down older iDevices with new batteries? That is the question to which I'd like to get an objective answer:
  • If yes, GREAT: $29 buys all of us a faster iDevice, even with new versions of iOS.
  • If no, then the implication is that there may be OTHER throttling code in new versions of iOS.
In short, was the battery excuse just an excuse or is any & all older iDevice throttling code solely associated with that power management code? A fresh version of the same (original) test could shed some light.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's not like we could reserve the Genius Bar until March anyway.

That's also true. Appointments were completely booked in my area without any opening in sight. However, Some of of these customers actually don't have a degraded battery, they just are out to see if they can get a free battery without actually reading the guidelines.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Also remember the longer people are forced in waiting for batteries the more those people might just say oh forget it I'll just get a new iPhone, isn't that what Apple wants?
Exactly.....There is no shortage of batteries......Apple just hoping that people will just purchase new iphone instead of waiting till April.......

deferredAnon

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2017
US
My point of view is more positive than yours, though.

New batteries will most likely restore as-new performance. But for how long? Another 12 months?

If so, this is probably OK with most in here because by then they will replace with new -- driven either by lifecycle or, simply, by aesthetics fatigue.

Lots of posters in here are looking for their new iPhone drug year-on-year. And that is to the delight of TK and his compadres in Cupertino.

Performance is not impacted by battery degradation. And new batteries won't restore 'as-new performance' because more demand is placed on the older phone from the latest iOS. Latest iOS is designed for newer phones capable of handling more tasks/demand.

Battery replacement is to stop/deter Apple's throttling. But yes, it can kick in again after one year.

Last edited:

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Operation Mea Culpa Phase 1: Offer $29 battery replacements.

Operation Mea Culpa Phase 2: Make battery replacement impossible to get (sorry - sold out!). Customers will just get frustrated and buy a new phone.

Operation Mea Culpa Phase 3: Profit. $$$

Reactions: Doc Evils
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.