Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While we've already reported that new MacBook Pros are expected to launch on Thursday and reports have even surfaced claiming that sealed shipments are already on their way to retailers, it's worth noting that Apple's top-priority U.S. online store has now gotten in on the act by pushing shipment estimates for all new MacBook Pro orders out to 3-5 business days.

091947-mbps_feb10_3_5_days_500.jpg

Apple's brick-and-mortar retail stores will of course continue to sell off any remaining stock of the current models, but the company's online distribution system has clearly dried up and any new orders placed will almost certainly be upgraded to the new models released later this week.

Some observers have questioned why Apple would release new MacBook Pros on a Thursday, as opposed to its traditional Tuesday release date. The most likely reason is related to the federal Presidents' Day holiday in the United States today. Apple generally prefers not to launch new products straight out of a weekend, in part due to ensure that media coverage is not diminished as some reporters may still be making their way back from the long weekend. Consequently, Apple has been known to deviate from its usual Tuesday and Wednesday releases in weeks with major U.S. holidays.

Others have noted that Thursday is Apple CEO Steve Jobs' 56th birthday (as well as MacRumors' own 11th birthday), which almost certainly simply makes for a nice coincidence.

Article Link: Apple Delays New MacBook Pro Shipments Until Week's End

Sarngate

macrumors regular
May 15, 2010
The stars are aligning now ! If the new Macbooks look like the render in that Intel add i will be :D

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Delays..? It is still the Thursday that's been rumoured.

I got a fright thinking they had delayed it for another week or two, meaning I wouldn't be able to return my Mac within the 14 day period!

hoxley

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2011
but you had already reported Thursday? a "delay" would signify a later-than-thursday date? cynical impressions grabber. :cool:

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Now I can't wait for Thursday...I hope they really bring something to the table with this update, I would love a new MacBook Pro!

Mailia

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2010
Finland
So if you ordered a MacBook Pro from the online store now, you'd get the mid-2010 model about 3-5 days later? Shouldn't they make it Unavailable if the were completely dry?

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
I'm starting to doubt that they'll get rid of the optical drive without an actual event with media and everyone :(

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
I can't wait to get my first macbook

In the past, when Apple release new products, are they available in retail apple store the same day ? Or only online store has it the same day ?

thank you

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'm starting to doubt that they'll get rid of the optical drive without an actual event with media and everyone :(

Yeah, but 16:9 iMacs and unibody white MacBook didn't get a media event, nor did the 27" Cinema Display.

It'll just be a PR release with a promo video.

killjoys

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Australia
I had ordered a MBP 2010 last week (need it) and I had received an email that said I would receive it sometime from the 25th of February - 3rd of March.
I subsequently cancelled the order but would it have been possible that Apple would have given me the updated model instead?

I was afraid that would happen haha but I wasn't willing to take the risk in case they did give me the older model.

Superken7

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
So they might go on sale as soon as thursday, that sounds SO GOOD! :) will be my first macbook!

How often does apple do worldwide product launches? Do you guys think this will be a worldwide launch?
I'm european so I'm hoping I will be able to have it by this weekend or next week the latest... :D guesses?
(I know about the ipad's delays, but I hope that isnt the case now :)

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I'm expecting a new design. I remember that the current Macbook Pros have been around for like a year and a half, right? I think it's time for a new model. I know I sound spoiled when I say this, but compared to all of their other products, the current Macbook Pro feels kind of thick and "clunky" for an Apple product!

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I bought a new macbook just this past thursday.. cuz had a problem with the older 1.. As long as Best Buy has it in store by NEXT thursday.. All is good...
Hopefully it does have that new darker color.. That would b sick

FriarNurgle

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
I had ordered a MBP 2010 last week (need it) and I had received an email that said I would receive it sometime from the 25th of February - 3rd of March.
I subsequently cancelled the order but would it have been possible that Apple would have given me the updated model instead?

I was afraid that would happen haha but I wasn't willing to take the risk in case they did give me the older model.

Great question. Hopefully someone can chime in on this question.

Does seem odd that they would delay orders only to ship you the model you ordered and not the refreshed. If the refresh is really different, you think they would have to stick with the model you ordered. But why delay it unless the stock levels are so low that they have difficulty ensuring orders are filled.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
I can't wait to get my first macbook

In the past, when Apple release new products, are they available in retail apple store the same day ? Or only online store has it the same day ?

thank you

Typically, yes. It really depends on the store. Always ask and check the part # to be sure.

If you can wait a week or 2 Amazon.com will start selling them and you don't have to pay tax.

p3gamer

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
No room for Xoom.

On 2/24, the XOOM comes out also. Nothing like raining new MacBooks on their parade.

MacUser5

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2009
but you had already reported Thursday? a "delay" would signify a later-than-thursday date? cynical impressions grabber. :cool:

The current model shipping dates are delayed (3-5 days), not the rumored release date for the new models.

Jezthomp

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2010
Shame no design changes just spec ones :(

I know there is nothing wrong with the current unibody design but it would have been nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.