Apple Discontinues Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 8, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has discontinued its $29 Lightning to 30-pin Adapter and has removed the accessory from its website as of this week.

The Lightning to 30-pin Adapter was first introduced in 2012 after Apple debuted the Lightning connector to replace to 30-pin connector that had been used in iPhones and iPads up to that point.

[​IMG]

At the time of the transition, many people were using 30-pin cables for charging purposes for existing devices, prompting Apple to launch the adapter. The adapter was also useful for connecting existing 30-pin accessories to the new Lightning devices.

Lightning connectors are significantly thinner and more compact than 30-pin and the switch over to the more svelte Lightning connector allowed Apple to save space for other components in iPhones and iPads.

Apple's iPhone 5, fourth-generation iPad, and first-generation iPad mini were some of the first devices to use the new Lightning connector, which has been present in all mobile devices since 2012.

It's now been six years since Lightning was introduced and there is no longer a need for the Lightning to 30-pin Adapter as a limited number of those cables are still in use in 2018.

Article Link: Apple Discontinues Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter

2. moabal macrumors regular

3. BaccaBossMC macrumors regular

BaccaBossMC

I still use my 30-pin to lighting adapter every day to hold my 5s on my old iHome dock next to my bed. Makes a great alarm/flashlight setup.

4. natshaw macrumors newbie

...and I've been having charging problems ever since. Lightning is hopeless, as a physical standard.

5. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Haven't seen anybody using a 30-pin cable these days except for myself. Always fun to ask if someone has a 30-pin cable and hear the countless responses of "what is that?!".

6. busyscott, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018

busyscott macrumors regular

busyscott

And we march ever closer to apple removing the lighting port entirely in the quest for a “wireless future” that nobody even wants.

EDIT: a lot of follow up comments from people who seem to disregard the physical limitations of wireless connections. I work in pro av and daily use gear to transmit wireless audio and video at very low ms round trips which is critical for use in live environment. The frequencies needed to transmit lots of data quickly are all being purchased up by telecoms to provide you with 4G and 5G devices, this means there won’t be much room left for your fantasies about wireless HDMI and the like. Plus, have you used wireless charging? I have and it’s a disaster and based on recent rumors, it’s one not even the great Apple can figure out how to fix.

I love wired because it’s RELIABLE and it’s FAST. I’ll change my tune when wireless (charging, video, and audio) can do that, but unless there’s some imaginary spectrum that we haven’t discovered yet (or Pied Piper can decentralize the internet with their breakthrough compression algorithm ;)) it ain’t happening cause the spectrums are getting more saturated by the day.

7. nutmac macrumors 68040

The Dock Connector was introduced with 3rd generation iPod in 2003 and reigned supreme for 9 years. The Lightning Connector will be 9 years old in 3 years, and I wouldn't rule out the connector being superseded by Wi-Fi 6 and faster wireless charging by then.

While wireless charging is slower, I find it incredibly convenient once you have one in each room. Now my phone is almost always charged to full capacity when I am home and I don't need to yank the phone from the connector when I need to use it.

8. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I want wireless stuff. In the current implementations, it's useful for making devices impervious to water and dust. In the future, I want to stop having to plug my devices in. I just want them to work all the time.

Definitely like wireless communication. Nice not having ethernet cables everywhere.

Next thing that should go wireless is HDMI.

9. nelsonammo macrumors regular

First they kill the headphone jack and now the lightning to 30 pin adaptor? What's next? The home button?

10. liberte1776 macrumors regular

I require one (cable adapter version) for my 2001 & 2002 Camaros USA Spec PA11-GM45 adapters which use 30-pin -- was the best factory stereo <-> iPhone integration at the time...

11. Focusx0131 macrumors newbie

Focusx0131

Maybe this will force lazy hotels to upgrade their alarm clocks that still have dock connectors on them.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I don't disagree but it's too bad to see certain adapters go EOL because Apple gear lasts a long time... I have a couple of those lightning-30pin gizmos and use them often to marry up an iPod touch or an iPhone 4s used as WiFi device to a speakerdock upstairs -- for audiobooks, music...

13. mikethemartian macrumors regular

Wouldn’t Apple need a hardwired port available for troubleshooting?

14. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

The future creeps up slowly with tiny changes. When we’re living through it, we can’t really see it.

But in 20 years when almost everything will be wireless, cables will seem clumsy and antiquated.

15. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

"Nobody"? Don't count me in that sweeping generalization. I hate wires. The sooner I can eliminate them from every facet of my life the better.

There will always be a physical port of some kind, just not necessarily what we're used to. Something like the SmartConnector would be an effective solution which could in theory provide USB 2 speeds and connections for things like wired headphones, data transfer, diagnostics, and even charging.

16. Sadman88 macrumors newbie

Sadman88

Really nothing left from Steve's time...wait except for that Mac mini :D

17. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 6502a

NO WAY!!!!!! Do you honesty think that a wireless HDMI would reliably transmit 4K 60fps / 120fps without buffering? No chance. Seriously, just try and stream 4K Dolby Vision wirelessly - it's not always a great experience!

18. 1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

Cue the handful of people outraged about this because they still have the 30 pin docking alarm clock they bought in 2010.

19. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

What's real funny many pieces of current exercise equipment are STILL sold with 30 pin adapters....

20. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Yikes - I need to go buy a couple.
    I use one of these in my car still and likely will for a long time yet..

21. nutmac macrumors 68040

WiGig, (802.11ad) has a provision for 60 GHz band that is aimed at wirelessly transmitting video and audio (wireless DisplayPort) over very short distance across the same room.

At 8 Gbps max, it is barely enough for SDR 4K at 60 fps (assuming it has a clear line of sight with little or no interference). But the world is moving to HDR (and 5K or more for computer display) which would require substantially higher bandwidth.

22. macpanzer macrumors regular

23. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

I use that to connect my iPod Nano to my car all the time.
    The only iPod Nano that does not use the 30 pin is the latest version.

24. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

Someday Apple will discontinue the lightning to 3.5mm headphone adaptor.

*starts hoarding*

25. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

No, I'm sure they'll never get rid of the Home Button. I mean, imagine, never being able to get out of an app or summon Siri. Preposterous!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2018 ---
    Perhaps this suggests that lots of people have old iPods specifically for gym use, in addition to exercise equipment manufacturers being behind the times?