Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has discontinued its $29 Lightning to 30-pin Adapter and has removed the accessory from its website as of this week.

The Lightning to 30-pin Adapter was first introduced in 2012 after Apple debuted the Lightning connector to replace to 30-pin connector that had been used in iPhones and iPads up to that point.

lightning30pinadapter.jpg

At the time of the transition, many people were using 30-pin cables for charging purposes for existing devices, prompting Apple to launch the adapter. The adapter was also useful for connecting existing 30-pin accessories to the new Lightning devices.

Lightning connectors are significantly thinner and more compact than 30-pin and the switch over to the more svelte Lightning connector allowed Apple to save space for other components in iPhones and iPads.

Apple's iPhone 5, fourth-generation iPad, and first-generation iPad mini were some of the first devices to use the new Lightning connector, which has been present in all mobile devices since 2012.

It's now been six years since Lightning was introduced and there is no longer a need for the Lightning to 30-pin Adapter as a limited number of those cables are still in use in 2018.

Article Link: Apple Discontinues Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter

busyscott

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
California
And we march ever closer to apple removing the lighting port entirely in the quest for a “wireless future” that nobody even wants.

EDIT: a lot of follow up comments from people who seem to disregard the physical limitations of wireless connections. I work in pro av and daily use gear to transmit wireless audio and video at very low ms round trips which is critical for use in live environment. The frequencies needed to transmit lots of data quickly are all being purchased up by telecoms to provide you with 4G and 5G devices, this means there won’t be much room left for your fantasies about wireless HDMI and the like. Plus, have you used wireless charging? I have and it’s a disaster and based on recent rumors, it’s one not even the great Apple can figure out how to fix.

I love wired because it’s RELIABLE and it’s FAST. I’ll change my tune when wireless (charging, video, and audio) can do that, but unless there’s some imaginary spectrum that we haven’t discovered yet (or Pied Piper can decentralize the internet with their breakthrough compression algorithm ;)) it ain’t happening cause the spectrums are getting more saturated by the day.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The Dock Connector was introduced with 3rd generation iPod in 2003 and reigned supreme for 9 years. The Lightning Connector will be 9 years old in 3 years, and I wouldn't rule out the connector being superseded by Wi-Fi 6 and faster wireless charging by then.

While wireless charging is slower, I find it incredibly convenient once you have one in each room. Now my phone is almost always charged to full capacity when I am home and I don't need to yank the phone from the connector when I need to use it.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
And we march ever closer to apple removing the lighting port entirely in the quest for a “wireless future” that nobody even wants.

I want wireless stuff. In the current implementations, it's useful for making devices impervious to water and dust. In the future, I want to stop having to plug my devices in. I just want them to work all the time.

Definitely like wireless communication. Nice not having ethernet cables everywhere.

Next thing that should go wireless is HDMI.

liberte1776

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2014
Haven't seen anybody using a 30-pin cable these days except for myself. Always fun to ask if someone has a 30-pin cable and hear the countless responses of "what is that?!".

I require one (cable adapter version) for my 2001 & 2002 Camaros USA Spec PA11-GM45 adapters which use 30-pin -- was the best factory stereo <-> iPhone integration at the time...

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I want wireless stuff. In the current implementations, it's useful for making devices impervious to water and dust. In the future, I want to stop having to plug my devices in. I just want them to work all the time.

Definitely like wireless communication. Nice not having ethernet cables everywhere.

I don't disagree but it's too bad to see certain adapters go EOL because Apple gear lasts a long time... I have a couple of those lightning-30pin gizmos and use them often to marry up an iPod touch or an iPhone 4s used as WiFi device to a speakerdock upstairs -- for audiobooks, music...

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL

Wouldn’t Apple need a hardwired port available for troubleshooting?

Reactions: Big Ron

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

The future creeps up slowly with tiny changes. When we’re living through it, we can’t really see it.

But in 20 years when almost everything will be wireless, cables will seem clumsy and antiquated.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015

"Nobody"? Don't count me in that sweeping generalization. I hate wires. The sooner I can eliminate them from every facet of my life the better.

Wouldn’t Apple need a hardwired port available for troubleshooting?

There will always be a physical port of some kind, just not necessarily what we're used to. Something like the SmartConnector would be an effective solution which could in theory provide USB 2 speeds and connections for things like wired headphones, data transfer, diagnostics, and even charging.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona

NO WAY!!!!!! Do you honesty think that a wireless HDMI would reliably transmit 4K 60fps / 120fps without buffering? No chance. Seriously, just try and stream 4K Dolby Vision wirelessly - it's not always a great experience!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
NO WAY!!!!!! Do you honesty think that a wireless HDMI would reliably transmit 4K 60fps / 120fps without buffering? No chance. Seriously, just try and stream 4K Dolby Vision wirelessly - it's not always a great experience!
WiGig, (802.11ad) has a provision for 60 GHz band that is aimed at wirelessly transmitting video and audio (wireless DisplayPort) over very short distance across the same room.

At 8 Gbps max, it is barely enough for SDR 4K at 60 fps (assuming it has a clear line of sight with little or no interference). But the world is moving to HDR (and 5K or more for computer display) which would require substantially higher bandwidth.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Haven't seen anybody using a 30-pin cable these days except for myself. Always fun to ask if someone has a 30-pin cable and hear the countless responses of "what is that?!".
I use that to connect my iPod Nano to my car all the time.
The only iPod Nano that does not use the 30 pin is the latest version.

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
First they kill the headphone jack and now the lightning to 30 pin adaptor? What's next? The home button?
No, I'm sure they'll never get rid of the Home Button. I mean, imagine, never being able to get out of an app or summon Siri. Preposterous!
[doublepost=1539023129][/doublepost]
What's real funny many pieces of current exercise equipment are STILL sold with 30 pin adapters....
Perhaps this suggests that lots of people have old iPods specifically for gym use, in addition to exercise equipment manufacturers being behind the times?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.