Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2005
You got hosed, man by the expert color swatch expert.

Seriously, are you buying only because of price bargain. Monitors are an investment value for the future not something which I treat lightly.

I guess it's hopeless trying to make a case on a mac fanboy forum.

But if you do go to other places, you'll see that 99% of people will buy Dell's LCDs. (I know that 100% of Ontario's institutions buy Dell. York, Mcmaster, UofT, etc etc) Now if Apple wants that 1% marketshare, then good for them.

Not everyone's a high end print artist or care about colorsync.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
And my moaning for an analog input was to be able to hookup a PC and my Mac to the thing (and I don't want a KVM).

Yep I got the same setup on my old mac and my pc box. DVI KVM switches are IMHO unnecessarily expensive too.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Why is this listed as an "update" to the product in the Buyer's Guide when they just dropped the price of the existing models? If anything, this is a sign they are trying to clear out the old inventory for new models soon.

So it should be "Buy only if you're poor, new models soon."

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA

But if you do go to other places, you'll see that 99% of people will buy Dell's LCDs. (I know that 100% of Ontario's institutions buy Dell. York, Mcmaster, UofT, etc etc) Now if Apple wants that 1% marketshare, then good for them.

heck in many threads having to do with apple displays you always read of apple owners opting for a dell display. I dont care for dell products but I think that says that apple is not getting as many people to buy their screens as they could. They are losing sales from their own fans, why is that if not for price and features?

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
heck in many threads having to do with apple displays you always read of apple owners opting for a dell display. I dont care for dell products but I think that says that apple is not getting as many people to buy their screens as they could. They are losing sales from their own fans, why is that if not for price and features?

That's correct, and quite intentional.

A lot of people don't seem to recall Apple when made a point of getting out of the low-end monitor business (for a time, you could buy low-end monitors from Apple, but only with third-party labels). That was because low-end monitors are a commodity, and the margins Apple could make at the volumes Apple does are not enough to justify the investment. Apple is really only interested in offering a differentiated product. Apple's current line-up is not for everybody, but the current product is priced right for its features and technology, as proven by the professionals who swear by it. If a Dell suits you better, by all means go for it. Dell is an organization that specializes in superb logistics management and cost-control, with higher volumes than Apple, that can make a profit in a commodity space where Apple can't. Apple makes a lot more profit on a single iPod than it would on trying to duplicate Dell's price/value offering on monitors, so I don't think they would miss the $17.50 profit on that lost monitor sale one little bit.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
That insane. Even with price drops the Dell widescreen 20 inch is over 300 dollars cheaper.

My Compnay has been buying the e207fpw its 20" ws with both dvi and vga inputs they are running 239$ on the dell us store a steal if you ask me.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
For most consumers, yes, the Apple displays are overpriced.

However, they are NOT overpriced for the specs they have and the consumers they're targeting—aka print/web designers and video editors who require color accuracy.

If you need color accuracy, Dell's MVA and TN (ugh!) panels will not deliver. Only true 8-bit S-IPS panels like Apple's (and those from other color-conscious manufacturers who are similarly expensive) will do what you need.

If you DON'T need color accuracy, buy a Dell or whatever else. But don't complain that Apple's overpriced for what they are. You just don't need what they're selling.

Retired
May 16, 2006
yes, and those people should be buying dells. i do not know what part of what we are saying seems to be going over your head: apple displays are worth the money for high-end content professionals, not for someone to make a myspace page with.

Mmm....but there are many non-pros who would like a display made by Apple, with all that beauty, but without the price tag. These people (including me) would be willing to sacrifice all the colour syncing goodness for a cheaper bill...

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I don't see what apple could update to these displays so I'm happy with them just droping the price every 6 months. iSight?, why is that necessary for these displays. So Apple just keep on droping the price

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Refurbished displays on Apple site

Refurbished Apple Cinema HD Display (23-inch flat panel w/ aluminum enclosure)
• Save 63% off the original price
Original price: $1,999.00
Your price: $749.00
Estimated Ship:
Within 24 hours
Free Shipping

Refurbished Apple Cinema HD Display (30-inch flat panel w/ aluminum enclosure)
Save 55% off the original price
Original price: $3,299.00
Your price: $1,499.00
Estimated Ship:
3-5 business days
Free Shipping

Not bad eh?

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
Mmm....but there are many non-pros who would like a display made by Apple, with all that beauty, but without the price tag. These people (including me) would be willing to sacrifice all the colour syncing goodness for a cheaper bill...

and that is certainly a reasonable desire, except that apple is choosing not to really go after that market at the moment; hence the current price-point and monitor specs.

jwa276

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA

So you admit that the ACD is indeed better and features truly professional quality... unlike the Dell which is less suitable for design professionals.

As a design professional, why should I accept anything less than professional quality? I shouldn't, and that's why I own a 30" ACD. :)

Go play your games on your dells and gateways and have some fun, but when it's your job and responsibility to make sure the printed color matches the on-screen color, every bit of the $300 difference counts!

KEY POINT: Cinema Displays are more expensive because they are worth it!

grappler

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Very Dissappointing

Dell has released a better 30" model recently, the 3007WFP-HC

Let's compare, shall we:

Viewable Image Size
Dell: 30 inches
Apple: 29.7 inches

Pixel Pitch
Dell: 0.2505mm
Apple: 0.250mm

Resolution
Dell: 2560x1600
Apple: 2560x1600

Viewing Angle
Dell: 178 degrees horizontal and vertical
Apple: 178 degrees horizontal and vertical

Luminance
Dell: 300cd/m^2
Apple: 400cd/m^2

Response Time
Dell: 12ms
Apple: 14ms

Contrast Ratio
Dell: 1000:1
Apple: 700:1

Color Gamut
Dell: 92% of NTSC
Apple: 72% of NTSC

Price
Dell: $1499
Apple: $1799

Dell is clearly the better deal, even though Apple just lowered its price today. I assume/hope this means Apple is about to release an updated version with specs that are competitive with Dell's, but their price for their current offering should be about $500 lower.

Very disappointing, since I've been holding out for a good 30" monitor from Apple.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Lol, gimme a break. I can buy 2 Dell Ultrasharps for 1 Cinema Display. That's double the pixel count. And seriously, all those certifications and what not is definitely not worth double the price. Maybe +100 dollars, but not double.

Lack on controls is a good thing? I see the RDF is affecting you.

It is worth it to some people. That is why they buy them.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Dell has released a better 30" model recently, the 3007WFP-HC

Let's compare, shall we:

Viewable Image Size
Dell: 30 inches
Apple: 29.7 inches

Pixel Pitch
Dell: 0.2505mm
Apple: 0.250mm

Resolution
Dell: 2560x1600
Apple: 2560x1600

Viewing Angle
Dell: 178 degrees horizontal and vertical
Apple: 178 degrees horizontal and vertical

Luminance
Dell: 300cd/m^2
Apple: 400cd/m^2

Response Time
Dell: 12ms
Apple: 14ms

Contrast Ratio
Dell: 1000:1
Apple: 700:1

Color Gamut
Dell: 92% of NTSC
Apple: 72% of NTSC

Price
Dell: $1499
Apple: $1799

Dell is clearly the better deal, even though Apple just lowered its price today. I assume/hope this means Apple is about to release an updated version with specs that are competitive with Dell's, but their price for their current offering should be about $500 lower.

Very disappointing, since I've been holding out for a good 30" monitor from Apple.

They have been selling good 30" displays for quite some time now.

grappler

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Comparing two pieces of computer hardware based on tech specs is about like comparing bourbons based on proof.

Not as bad as comparing extras like memory card readers :) And the color gamut difference seems rather telling.

But if anyone has actually compared these two monitors (the Dell 3007WFP-HC and the Apple 30") side by side, I would be very interested in their opinion...

paul451

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2006
The Apple display might be aimed at the professional market or in the least the 23 and 30 inch.
However I am sure everyone is going to agree with me that the people that the people who desire a monitor for the colour accuracy is an extremely small portion of the market.
When Apple are selling computers, such as the Mac book and the Mac mini then you do not expect to pay such a high price for 20 inch and even some would argue the 23 inch. These are monitors that look the same as two years ago; the Dell has changed numerous times.
What Apple should do is make available a line of professional and then a line of consumer monitors, to rival makers like Gateway and Dell.
To “princealfie” your comment on saying people should buy it just because it has a “shiny apple logo” is the most absurd thing I have ever heard, after seeing your signature with your setup and seeing a Powermac G3, I was wondering where your loyalty to the Mac is? Not that there is anything with having a G3….

Carl Spackler

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Outer Space
Not as bad as comparing extras like memory card readers :) And the color gamut difference seems rather telling.

But if anyone has actually compared these two monitors (the Dell 3007WFP-HC and the Apple 30") side by side, I would be very interested in their opinion...

For what it's worth, my post was not aimed directly at you, just happend to come after yours. Out of curiousity, where did you get your color gamut info?

Thanks.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Whats with all the Dell posts.
It's like there are only 2 monior suppliers out there.
Why are so many people stuck on comparing Apple to just one manufacturer:confused:
There are many fine monitors available at many price points made by many different manufacturers.
Apple and Dell are just 2 of them offering displays for different people, uses and budgets.
Apple just reduced their price quite considerably especially if you go refurb.
So what's the beef?
As for comparing monitors based purely on specifications...get serious...it's all about what you see not read!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.