Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For those who participated in the beta, did it run better that the GM?(differences in speed/battery)

• Yes, betas were better.

Votes: 54 24.8%
  • No, same performance, or GM is better.

Votes: 164 75.2%

• Total voters

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I’m beta testing 11.1 and I’ve reported my flaw multiple times but Apple refuses to fix it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Refuses? It couldn't be that they have higher priority items? Is your issue truly the most important bug in the OS at this point in time? Do you have any clue what is being fixed instead of your urgent issue?

I can't answer any of these questions. I very much suspect you can't either. So claiming "Apple refuses to fix it" isn't really the truth, now is it? Traditionally we call that an "opinion". I'd even accept "uninformed opinion".

Apr 3, 2017
I have all the same problems as listed by the OP, including frequent bluetooth issues with my Beats X, another Apple product that can't be conveniently dismissed as a 3rd party issue.

AeroZ

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Estonia
Refuses? It couldn't be that they have higher priority items? Is your issue truly the most important bug in the OS at this point in time? Do you have any clue what is being fixed instead of your urgent issue?

I can't answer any of these questions. I very much suspect you can't either. So claiming "Apple refuses to fix it" isn't really the truth, now is it? Traditionally we call that an "opinion". I'd even accept "uninformed opinion".

You’re not getting the joke here
And chillax dude

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

So emojis are a higher priority item than the bug?

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017

Point updates are planned far in advance. IE Apple knew long ago emojis were going to be included into 11.1. They more than likely know what’s going to be included in 11.2 and 11.3. It’s called a roadmap.

Bugs are not planned. So, to say emojis got priority over a bug is laughable.

Last edited:

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
3DT stutter is not there. Don't assume my friend that everyone sees what you see. Battery life on my devices (everything from an iPhone 6 to iPhone 7 and 7 Plus to iPad Pro 9.7 and 2017 iPad) all have equal or better battery life than iOS 10. For comparison sake the iPhone 6, iPhone 7 and iPad Pro 9.7 are running iOS 11.0.2 while the iPhone 7 Plus and 2017 iPad are running iOS 11.1 Beta 2. In all cases performance is fluid, stability solid and of course making use of new iOS features and security updates. In other words iOS 11 is stable and ready to use. Keeping in mind that beta releases contain logging and other background processes that may affect performance and stability please don't bash what you don't have any clue about. iOS 11 is like all software in that it will mature with every release. By the way in an earlier post you compared an iPhone to a mid range Android device. I take it you run one side by side so that you can make such scientific observations?

Post a screen recording of 3D Touch menus opening to prove you have unicorn phones which don't exhibit this behavior.

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2017
Wait, you mean new software doesn't run as well on older hardware? No way. Come on. This silly argument is pushed around every single year. Its not a conspiracy theory. Newer software uses more resources than older software, therefore older hardware cannot keep up. iOS 10 vs. iOS 11 on my 7Plus was pretty much identical besides the occasional stutter from bugs. Even my Air 2 running iOS 11 is running just fine compared to iOS 10, again minus the polish that iOS 11 will eventually get.
And an agent of hydra is the one talking sense (;

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
yes, a dozen videos of your one phone (or do you have a dozen phones?) am not arguing with your experience, just that it may not be everyone's experience. that can't be that difficult to understand...

With the cost of the iPhone, people shouldn't have to gamble to get a good experience.
[doublepost=1507811729][/doublepost]
... If iOS is "so bad" then leave; flat out go buy an Android device and move on. You and the others will be much happier (so you think grass is greener).

Wow, so people can't complain or hope for better improvements? Just shut up and take it?

Your advice is so bad, it is like suggesting someone move to North Korea if they are complaining about what Donald does.

Reactions: Kalloud

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
gamble? most of iphone users just use their phones, don't measure microsecond delays, don't look for obscure bugs, and go about their business. only in places like macrumors forums do we, an infinitely small group, stress about minutiae, and argue, and ramble on, about conspiracies, planned obsolescence... etc. to be fair, we also discuss real bugs, real issues, and, at our best, offer help and support. threads like this are fun, tho... a good diversion from too much of the real world.

Reactions: Jayderek

adham7897

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
You're still mising the point.
I'm not complaining that the iPhone 6 can't run iOS 11 in a good shape, because the betas proved otherwise for me. Battery life was amazing and so was performance. This is enough for me to conclude my iPhone CAN really run iOS 11, since no new features were added after the beta. (so both should have same performance)
I'm only complaining that the GM (and later updates also) are performing worse than the betas. That's the issue.
If Apple can program a solid beta, why can't they program a solid GM?!!
Which lets you think that it may be intentional.
I wish I could install the beta right now and stay on it.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
not missing the point at all; you're having problems with the current version; not everyone is having a problem. and hopefully, this will get sorted with the next point update. remember, we do not all have the same experience... and that is the point.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Since I updated my 6Plus to IOS 11 startup takes noticeably longer, maddening lag when opening camera, noticeable lag between time I take a photo and the camera responds, and battery life is a lot worse. No such problems on my 2nd G iPad Pro 12.9.

See I am experiencing the opposite. My 2nd gen iPad Pro 12.9 is so much slower than my iPhone 6s+.
[doublepost=1507824273][/doublepost]
The only way to escape the Apple lag completely is to buy a new device every year. It will never run as fast as how it used to on the original OS it shipped with. With all this marketing hoopla about the A11 Bionic, only to be crapped on next year by iOS 12 with delays and stutters making it look like a midrange Android phone. My second gen 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 will stay on iOS 10 because I don't care about the productivity features to lose he smoothness of the device by upgrading to iOS 11. 4 times Apple has tried to trick me into upgrading by downloading iOS 11 in the background without my permission and popping up the update box which is so easy to press okay and enter into LagOS 11 but I shall persevere. You are not ruining my iPad Apple and I will fight your update prompts if it's the last thing I do.

And how can I upgrade my 2nd gen iPad Pro 12.9"? It runs absolutely horrible with iOS 11 and there is no newer iPad Pro available.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
gamble? most of iphone users just use their phones, don't measure microsecond delays, don't look for obscure bugs, and go about their business. only in places like macrumors forums do we, an infinitely small group, stress about minutiae, and argue, and ramble on, about conspiracies, planned obsolescence... etc. to be fair, we also discuss real bugs, real issues, and, at our best, offer help and support. threads like this are fun, tho... a good diversion from too much of the real world.
That's because most people expect devices to slow down with newever versions of the OS which shouldn't be the case. They notice the slowdown but put up with it.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
That's because most people expect devices to slow down with newever versions of the OS which shouldn't be the case. They notice the slowdown but put up with it.

and you get this information from where? is it really that hard to admit that these are your opinions, and that you don't have the resources to state such things as fact? or have you polled millions of iphone users?

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009

Wow, I don't mean to act like a male appendage, but that one comment right there just exemplifies your complete ignorance about how development works. If your credibility wasn't shot before, this is a huge blow.

Developers aren't artists. Artists aren't developers. No one was pulled off fixing bugs to draw a cucumber. No one will be headed back to the calculator bug, for example, once they're done with that vampire graphic. Apple is large enough to have multiple teams working on multiple things. Emojis, or the lack of them, have no effect whatsoever on the team(s) fixing bugs. They're two totally unrelated things happening in different teams. So your comment is just silly.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Wow, I don't mean to act like a male appendage, but that one comment right there just exemplifies your complete ignorance about how development works. If your credibility wasn't shot before, this is a huge blow.

Developers aren't artists. Artists aren't developers. No one was pulled off fixing bugs to draw a cucumber. No one will be headed back to the calculator bug, for example, once they're done with that vampire graphic. Apple is large enough to have multiple teams working on multiple things. Emojis, or the lack of them, have no effect whatsoever on the team(s) fixing bugs. They're two totally unrelated things happening in different teams. So your comment is just silly.

I realised this about him and since have stopped arguing or even think about putting a valid point across.

Reactions: Jayderek

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

So far none of the issues I am facing have been fixed and I keep reporting it in the feedback app. The 3dt stutter is still there. Home button delay is still there. Battery drain is better but still there. I still get frame skips and stutters every now and then.(I can show you a video on the stutters) After 3 months of of betas and updates of 11.0,11.0.1,11.0.2.11.0.3 and 2 updates to 11.1 these issues still remain. And what I get after months of waiting is emojis which I don't give 2 ***** about. Sorry but I just don't get the message that Apple will ever fully fix all these bugs and with me getting a new phone soon I (likely between the Pixel, Note and the iPhone X) I likely will enjoy a perfect phone from the 27th so I am not really taking this to heart as the iPhone X will conveniently suffer from none these issues.

Last edited:

Jayderek

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Madison, WI
So far none of the issues I am facing have been fixed and I keep reporting it in the feedback app. The 3dt stutter is still there. Home button delay is still there. Battery drain is better but still there. I still get frame skips and stutters every now and then. After 3 months of of betas and updates of 11.0,11.0.1,11.0.2.11.0.3 and 2 updates to 11.1 these issues still remain. And what I get after months of waiting is emojis which I don't give 2 ***** about. Sorry but I just don't get the message that Apple will ever fully fix all these bugs and with me getting a new phone soon I (likely between the Pixel, Note and the iPhone X) I likely will enjoy a perfect phone from the 27th so I am not really taking this to heart as the iPhone X will conveniently suffer from none these issues.

unfortunately the only thing that needs fixing isn't related to anything that Apple can do.

I truly do hope at one point everything will be fine for your iPhone usage, but I guarantee if the obsession about all this microsecond slowdowns and 'frame skips' stops, things will seem and feel far better.

good luck

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
unfortunately the only thing that needs fixing isn't related to anything that Apple can do.

I truly do hope at one point everything will be fine for your iPhone usage, but I guarantee if the obsession about all this microsecond slowdowns and 'frame skips' stops, things will seem and feel far better.

good luck
My personal experience so far shows the newer devices run perfect. For example I never was satisfied with my 6 performance after iOS 8. Upgrading to iPhone 7 solved every issue including he frame skips and micro stutters. I am confident this will be replicated when and if I get the iPhone X also. In my experience, Apple definitely does slow down older devices so that they never recover their original performance. It may be invisible to many but it's definitely there.

Yes I am extremely sensitive to frame drops. I bought a GTX 1080ti to power my PC because I can't stand low fps even in games.
[doublepost=1507827912][/doublepost]
and you get this information from where? is it really that hard to admit that these are your opinions, and that you don't have the resources to state such things as fact? or have you polled millions of iphone users?
Where is YOUR proof people don't notice these issues?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.