Apple Encouraging Employees in Silicon Valley to Work From Home Amid Coronavirus Outbreak

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As the coronavirus continues to spread in Santa Clara County where many of Apple's corporate offices are located, Apple is now encouraging employees in the area to work from home today if they are able to, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Apple has asked employees to do so as an "additional precaution," and working from home is a recommendation rather than a requirement as some employees may have jobs that require being in the office.

Yesterday, Santa Clara County asked tech companies in cities like Cupertino, Palo Alto, Mountain View, and San Jose to "consider use of telecommuting options for appropriate employees."

There are 20 known cases of coronavirus in Santa Clara County, and several other suspected cases. Cupertino, which is where Apple Park and Infinite Loop are located, is a part of the county.

Employers have also been asked to suspend nonessential employee travel, which Apple has already done, and cancel large in-person meetings and conferences. It is still unclear what Apple plans to do about WWDC, which normally takes place in June in San Jose.

For the last few years, Apple has announced WWDC dates in mid-March, so we could soon hear news on whether WWDC will take place or if Apple will substitute some kind of digital event.

Though corporate employees are able to work from home if possible, Apple's retail store locations in the Bay Area remain open. Apple has, however, implemented "deep cleaning" protocols to keep retail workers and customers safe from the virus.

Article Link: Apple Encouraging Employees in Silicon Valley to Work From Home Amid Coronavirus Outbreak

DaveRivera

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
New England
lol. People are so soft. Just go to work. If you get sick, you get sick. That's why our bodies have immune systems.
People can also die from getting sick.
And not everyone's immune system works as well as others.
And some people have other issues that could could be compromised by getting sick.
And I know I certainly would not be happy with a coworker who knowingly got me sick

But yeah, who cares! Its just the lives of those around you... /s

Jbusick7944

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
lol. People are so soft. Just go to work. If you get sick, you get sick. That's why our bodies have immune systems.
None of our immune systems have seen this bug, hence no anti-bodies against it, no vaccines etc. If you are healthy enough to manage the viral onslaught in the days it takes for antibody production to ramp up, great. Otherwise, this is where weaker immune systems (people) actually die from this new bug.

bobtem

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
they shoulda implemented a "work from home" mandate during the black plague

Cancelled
Dec 28, 2013
Does this "work from home" memo apply to all Apple employees in Santa Clara or just the desk jockeys? If I were a janitor, I'd love to work from home. Sure the floors and toilets at the office might stay dirty, but my floor and toilet at home would be clean.:D
This is obvious for highskilled employees, so if the toilets are high tech, you should be able to clean them from home?

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
As a San Jose resident, I’m not hearing about a massive spread of CV in Santa Clara county. Is this preventive on Apples part or is the news not carrying the reports?

Edit... just read it’s up to 20 in Santa Clara county.

honestone33

macrumors 65816
My job is easy: retirement!

Meanwhile, in Seattle (not very far from me), the University of Washington and Seattle University have both canceled classes for today, and will start on-line teaching on Monday:

I wish there was an easy way for me to get the word out that I would be available for tutoring Mathematics students, as I have a MS degree in Mathematics. And I have taught before on a part-time basis at some community colleges.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Thankful I have a job that I can do from almost anywhere.
Solid internet connection and my laptop and I'm good to go.
My company has a great work at home policy if you need to do it.
I haven't been in the office in almost 2 weeks except for this past Monday (had a preplanned face to face meeting with business partners).

Reactions: mrxak and PC_tech
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.