Apple Exchanging Some 2012 and Early 2013 MacBook Pros Needing Battery Service With Newer Models [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 24, 2017.

1. gilesb macrumors newbie

I just went in and tried this at Apple Singapore - Orchard Road.

No luck :( missed out by a matter of hours! I went in last night and they said come back tomorrow.

They are quoting 8th August as well for a replacement part.

2. frankdogg macrumors 6502

frankdogg

I did too but we will see if it actually is the same thing. Hoping it’s a newer equivalent

3. Josiah.Diaz macrumors newbie

Josiah.Diaz

I visited an apple authorized service center (Power MAC Center) here in the Philippines and was told to wait for a week or two for the results of its diagnosis..

They told me that they were to get the stock of the top case in Singapore. Here's to hoping that they don't have a stock yet and will replace my macbook with a newer one.

Mine was an early 2013 rMBP

Here's to hoping that the program is still available.

4. macmat17 macrumors newbie

Oh no, I was about to go there tonight :(

5. rocketman80 macrumors newbie

me too :(

6. Josiah.Diaz macrumors newbie

Josiah.Diaz

Can anyone report of their success in replacing their macbooks as of now?

7. djbuddha macrumors regular

djbuddha

Curious, how did you establish that your computer qualifies?

I'm asking because I had my battery replaced in October 2016, here's my data (ON THE NEW ONE-- my old one was at like 35% LOL):

8460 mAh capacity, 7253 capacity left 118 cycles.

My trackpad has been funny ever since I did the battery back then, but my status in System Report is 'normal' with Coconutbattery fluctuating between 82-85.7

Would I then qualify? This battery was manufactured in August 2016 according to Coconutbattery.

8. Pentium macrumors 6502

Pentium

The whole thing stopped, they are charging for the battery and no replacement will be offered starting July 26th.
    Good for people who got the new hardware!

9. cphcph macrumors newbie

10. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

$199 plus tax for the 3 that were refurbs and I believe the other was about $800 plus tax (boss likes to max out his machines for some insane reason)

11. Josiah.Diaz macrumors newbie

Josiah.Diaz

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

13. acarney macrumors 6502

I know this is pretty off topic compared to the MBP replacements... but my Mid 2012 MacBook Air is saying Service Battery with 70% health and just 129 cycles! I know it's ~5 years old but this is an average of two charge cycles are month! I know there isn't a shortage with the MBA's and I'm not looking for new hardware/upgrades... but do you think Apple will do anything for me even though I'm so far out of warranty? Or is that stuff unheard of, even with this "light" of usage?

14. dlondon macrumors regular

I would ask. They might do a Battery replacement either for a reduced fee or free. Also, some countries have laws which offer longer protection for consumers. In the U.K., I would argue that it it could be considered reasonable to expect a battery capacity to be better than 70% with only a limited number of cycles and the device being less than 6 years old.

15. meaning-matters, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017

meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Apple Store told me yesterday afternoon (July 25th) I'd get a 2015 rMBP as replacement. Then they called me hours later and explained the process saying that 'when the replacement is approved' they'd let me know and I'd have to bring in my old computer. I hope I get the final good new soon.

16. petemill macrumors newbie

17. KSB, Jul 26, 2017

KSB macrumors newbie

KSB

That said news to hear it's stopped, have a booked repair today since they were fully booked yesterday :(

Update: Called the store and was told they have battery back in stock and in regards to computer replacement, these were only special cases and the program has ended

18. meaning-matters, Jul 26, 2017

meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Means "... do it yourself it." :)

19. szoftos macrumors newbie

if apple has closed this deal down, it's clearly a dick move from them. first they replace the old models, and now because it's getting out in the open, they won't take responsibility for it and do the replacement for the rest of the people who still qualify.

I had in mind to replace my macbook to a PC based one (as in my next notebook would be a PC based one with windows/linux), because in innovation, apple can't show much these days other than mindless overhyped but underpowered machines.

I'll be visiting that 'genius' next week, but if the result will be similar to what I read here recently, that will make my decision a 100% concerning my next machine.

dick move apple, dick move.

20. EvilGloomy macrumors newbie

Damn it, my rMBP 2012 went in for a speaker repair last week and i didn't opt do the battery replacement. Could've gotten a new MacBook pro that time if i did the battery replacement! Now i scheduled an appointment after i saw this article, but my appointment isn't until tomorrow and the whole replacement thing has already ended!

21. winglet69 macrumors member

winglet69

I'll bet the whole reason they're short of top-case battery replacements in the first place is due to a massive surge in people choosing to hang onto their 2012-2013 MB Pro's longer instead of replacing them with new ones.

I have an early 2013 with 2.7GHz proc, 16GB RAM and after waiting for months to see what they'd release last fall and fully planning on buying one - invested in a 1TB SSD upgrade from OWC rather than spend over $3,000 for an absolutely marginal upgrade. (Same RAM, same screen, marginally faster processor, less ports. Oh! It has a touchbar? Gee, where do I pay? :D) I also intend to do the battery replacement, it just doesn't need it yet.

So I'm just relieved that they're getting new replacement batteries in stock so I can continue to postpone getting one of the new ones. Do those free upgrades come with a Dongle Pack?

Fun facts:

-this machine was given to me free by Apple, as a replacement for my 2010 15" MB Pro that had the mainboard replaced 5 times for the graphics switching issue. Would've been kind of funny to get two free laptops!

-Prior to this latest lineup of MB Pro Retina's, I would buy the highest spec machine Apple would make on about a 3-4 year cycle that dates back to the original G3 "Wallstreet". Since then have had everything from 12" Powerbook to 15" MB Pro/Retinas. And this latest cycle is the first one since...1998? where I have absolutely no compelling reason to buy a new one.

22. homegrownhero, Jul 26, 2017

homegrownhero macrumors newbie

homegrownhero

Hey heres a riddle, you may have to look up The Ship of Thesseus to play

So I have a 2012 Macbook Pro. All was fine. But one the day the minor logic board that holds the SD card was damaged, so they replaced that (a 150ish fee). All was fine again. But one day the monitor started flickering when I plug it into an external monitor, and it turns out that it was due a to a GPU issue and that Apple was keen to replace it for free. During the check in, the also found out that hinge was very very wobbly, and to my luck Apple previously issued a replacement screen unit for defective screen coating (when you can see your keyboard being imprinted on your screen). So I got all of them replaced and all is well again.
    Say my battery would need repair soon and that battery is glued to case, and I decided to pursue this knowing that they will replace said part...

Which comes to the question: with all of the parts of my original Macbook Pro slowly replaced one-by-one, is it still my original Macbook Pro, even though it carries none of the original parts left?

23. DavidDoyle macrumors member

Interesting! When I had my logic board replaced (at my cost as out of warranty - wasn't the GPU issue) the authorised repairer assigned the machine serial number to the new logic board. With the greater amount of integration the logic board is the most important (and valuable) element of a modern machine.

For those in the UK or fans of UK comedy, this clip may be relevant to homegrownhero's situation:

24. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

I thought the battery was glued in? I'll look into it. It won't run without the power cord being plugged in. I'm surprised after so few cycles, but a ;cycle' must mean taking the battery from zero to a full charge which probably didn't happen nearly as much as I would have thought. That number might be correct in that case.

25. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

No that's the retinas, yours is held in by 3 screws. Take 15-20min to replace and under $100.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 26, 2017 ---
    Yeah that's so bad of them to give people new machines if they have bad batteries when replacements were out of stock and now actually replacing batteries now that they're in stock! /s

Grow up, you'd be lucky to even be able to talk to someone on the phone about repairing a 5 y/o windows laptop, let alone get a new machine, let alone get a battery fixed.