Apple Expected to Lead 5G Smartphone Shipments in 2020

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Though Apple has not yet come out with a 5G iPhone, the company is expected to lead the 5G smartphone market in 2020, according to a new report today from analytics firm Strategy Analytics.

Apple is expected to capture a dominant share of the emerging 5G market in 2020, following the launch of 5G iPhones. Strategy Analytics believes that Apple simply needs to match its current upgrade rates to dominate the 5G market after September 2020.

"It may seem counterintuitive that Apple, which currently has no 5G phones in its portfolio will be able to pass current 5G market leaders Samsung and Huawei," comments Ken Hyers, Director at Strategy Analytics. "But with three new 5G models coming next year, Apple merely needs to match its current upgrade rates for newly introduced iPhone models to take the lead next year."

"Currently Samsung is the undisputed market leader in 5G smartphones," comments Ville-Petteri Ukonaho, Associate Director at Strategy Analytics. "But with the two largest 5G markets in 2020, China and the USA, dominated by Huawei and Apple respectively, these two vendors are set to lead in 5G next year."
All of the iPhones coming in 2020 are expected to include 5G technology, according to well-respected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Kuo originally believed that only the two higher-end iPhones coming in 2020 would support 5G, but later revised his prediction.

Apple will offer 5G speeds for all of its smartphones in order to better compete with lower-cost Android smartphones that support 5G. We're expecting a total of three iPhones in 2020, including a 5.4-inch model, a 6.7-inch model, and a 6.1-inch model.

The 5.4 and 6.7-inch iPhones are expected to be higher-end devices similar to the iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max, while the 6.1-inch iPhone will feature a lower price tag much like the iPhone 11.

Though Apple is expected to do well in the 5G smartphone market in 2020, Strategy Analytics ultimately believes that Samsung will be the 5G leader longterm due to its "dominance of the overall smartphone market" and broader range of price points.

Huawei's success, meanwhile, is limited by the US trade ban, but it is still expected to be the dominant 5G smartphone provider in China.

For more on Apple's plans for a 5G iPhone, make sure to check out our guide.

Article Link: Apple Expected to Lead 5G Smartphone Shipments in 2020

mozumder

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
i wonder if part of the deal to buy Intel's modem IP is if Apple would use Intel as their foundry as well...

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
If Kuo believes all iPhones in 2020 will have 5G, what about the rumored “SE2” that is suppose to come out next year? He failed to mention whether the SE2 will have 5G or maybe it won’t come out at all.

Reactions: niji

Hildy

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
On a completely tinfoil hat, flat Earth, antivax, climate catastrophe related note.., these new 5G devices will be released with the new Find My Brain Tumor app..? ~right~?

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
The real question is, when will carriers fully roll out 5G that is usable in your community.
It will probably take at minimum 3-4 years. I have been in areas that don’t have 4G service such as small towns. People who live in large and moderate populated areas will see it sooner.

Reactions: Glideslope

fmcshan

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2019
New Hampshire
If Kuo believes all iPhones in 2020 will have 5G, what about the rumored “SE2” that is suppose to come out next year? He failed to mention whether the SE2 will have 5G or maybe it won’t come out at all.
The "iPhone SE 2" will most likely be released in March of 2020 but will feature LTE. For such a "low cost" iPhone, Apple will be using Intel LTE modems again. Apple will likely switch over to Qualcomm 5G modems for its September 2020 iPhone launch.

Lozza013

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
Melbourne Australia
While 5G is a great idea. I can't see Telstra, Optus and Vodafone having 5G across all of our capital cities' suburbs by the time this launches in September. I mean here in Melbourne, with Telstra it's only in the CBD and out near the Airport.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
It’s amazing how many of the Touch ID iPhones are out there. I am starting to see a few iPhone 11 Pro’s, more standard 11’s (purple and green being the most popular). My room mate just changed the battery in his iPhone 7 and has not intention of upgrading.

But, I believe next year a lot of 6s, 7 and X users will be moving to next years model for the under the hold improvements. I plan to keep mine a little longer and will likely upgrade within the third year of 5G.

Reactions: niji

The Oak

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2013
Apple doesn't release phones until Q3, so how on earth can they start leading in Q2?
Exactly my thoughts.
Or does this analytics firm think the next iPhone will be released earlier...yeah...right.
They have to build them no? They are not built the day you order ... they are not a hamburger that you order and get on the spot. Millions of these need to be built prior to their release.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The real question is, when will carriers fully roll out 5G that is usable in your community.
Exactly.

And even if you're in a 5G community... will it work indoors?

I remember when Verizon and AT&T invited reviewers to the first 5G rollout cities... but all they could do is stand on the street corner, outdoors within sight of the antenna, doing speedtests.

If there was a tree between you and the antenna... you lose your 5G signal. And it certainly doesn't go through glass or walls, either.

So I have no idea how this is supposed to scale beyond a few blocks downtown.

Granted... Verizon and AT&T are using high-frequency mmWave technology for their 5G that has these distance and penetration limitations.

Perhaps T-Mobile and their 600MHz 5G will be better. Who knows.

But I read an article that said even if you have a 5G phone in a 5G area... you'll probably remain on 4G most, if not all, of the time.

So personally... I'm not too concerned about my next phone having 5G. Or maybe the next phone after that.

Last edited: